An update on Cycling UK's Board of Trustees' elections

gaz

Re: An update on Cycling UK's Board of Trustees' elections

Post by gaz »

Results in Cycleclips: http://www.cyclinguk.org/publication/cy ... ember-2016

A warm welcome to our three new trustees

With thanks to our members for a great turn-out, we would like to welcome three new Trustees to our board at Cycling UK. With an unprecedented 3,440 valid votes cast, Dr. Janet Atherton (1,875 votes) and Rachel Kirkwood (1,200 votes) were elected into post and are due to start in office from January 2017. They will be joined by Dr. Julian Huppert (2,066 votes) as our new Senior Independent Trustee.

All elected Trustees have been members for over 12 months, joined 01/2014, 08/2014 and 01/2014 respectively.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Great. If I could remember who I voted for I'd know if I was gladdened or not. :? :lol:
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote:Or possibly to hear the debate and let it help them make up their minds... that's a vital element of democracy which seems to have been rendered completely impotent in the current CUK model, so it makes the AGM seem like a thin façade of democracy

Make their minds up to do what? It's way under 1% of the membership there on the day listening to the debate (What little there was) do you think they should be the ones making decisions?
PH

Post by PH »

With an unprecedented 3,440 valid votes cast

What's that, about 5% of the membership? And that's unprecedented :shock:
It's a pretty clear signal of how much interest the vast majority of members have in the matter.
gaz

Post by gaz »

PH wrote:What's that, about 5% of the membership? And that's unprecedented :shock:

My first thought was that the turnout for the 2015 South East Council election was around 2% of those eligible to vote. Then I remembered that a table was included in the governance report.
Councillors.png

Which shows previous elections with a turnout above 5% of their regional electorate :? and in the case of Martyn Bolt a 22% turnout :shock: .

Unprecedented number of votes cast, because the whole membership voting to elect Trustees/Councillors is unprecedented* :roll: .
*At least in recent years, we've a lot of history.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:
mjr wrote:Or possibly to hear the debate and let it help them make up their minds... that's a vital element of democracy which seems to have been rendered completely impotent in the current CUK model, so it makes the AGM seem like a thin façade of democracy

Make their minds up to do what? It's way under 1% of the membership there on the day listening to the debate (What little there was) do you think they should be the ones making decisions?

Actually, no, I think the system should be restructured so that all voting happens after proper debate and contemplation. Don't you, or do you think the current approach is the best?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote:Actually, no, I think the system should be restructured so that all voting happens after proper debate and contemplation. Don't you,

Yes of course, 100%. But I have no idea how we get to that when 95% of the membership seem to have either no interest in the organisations governance, or are so happy with it that they'll leave them to it. Where would that debate take place? People complain when there's too much of it in the magazine, which they want full of touring. This forum isn't restricted to members and only a small portion of the membership use it. The member Groups don't seem to have much interest in anything that doesn't impact on their own activities (IME) So where? What we probably end up with is a small group of enthusiastic activists making decision for the whole organisation, I'm unconvinced that leads to better decisions or satisfies the majority of the membership.
hear the debate and let it help them make up their minds... that's a vital element of democracy

We were talking about what went on at the AGM and why people went there, I've given the reasons I went, I wouldn't know about anyone else. But anyone who went for the reason you gave was always going to be disappointed, they should have been aware that the vast majority of votes were cast.
atoz

Post by atoz »

Hi all

IMHO, the way the board is behaving reminds me of what happened with the racing world with the formation of the BLRC and the acrimonious split with the NCU. It also reminds me of what's happened with a certain political party.

Membership organisations that are headed by people who are not accountable for their actions to the membership go the way of the dinosaurs.

Once British Cycling comes up with a better insurance offer, I'll be off (member since 1983).

RIP CTC
Graham57

Post by Graham57 »

Is BC any more accountable?
I suppose at least there are elections in CUK, that said I also will not renew when the time comes.either.

My cycling club we have similar voter apathy, have a small number of vocal opponents who do not want progression and yet do not ride so I have some sympathy with the CUK board but one has to listen to the membership
ianmac5

Post by ianmac5 »

The motion at the AGM to limit candidates to those who had twelve months membership was passed not solely by those attending but by the proxy votes as well.

At the AGM one councillor was rude to some of the members present. The Chair - Dan Howard - expressed his agreement with the rude comment.

I regret that I didn't immediately, on a point of order, propose that he step down and that another person chaired the rest of the meeting.

You can't have a chair of a meeting who is not even-handed.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Bazza55

Post by Bazza55 »

I can confirm that a CUK member of staff or trustee wearing a black CUK T shirt sat near the front on the right hand side of the room DID insult members of the organisation by using stereo type comments. The Chair who was deputising for the regular chair was way out of his depth and tried to ignore people he knew would be making challenging questions, choosing instead to regularly allow Trustees to speak. It wasn't until a group of us from Yorkshire sat near the back insisted he stopped ignoring Hilary Reed (sat right in front of him) that he allowed her to speak.

Incidentally, Philip Benstead has asked it to be mentioned that he is unable to access this forum at the moment, he feels that it is a possibility that his comments are being blocked.

Democracy? Don't make me laugh :lol:
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Bazza55 wrote:I can confirm that a CUK member of staff or trustee wearing a black CUK T shirt sat near the front on the right hand side of the room DID insult members of the organisation by using stereo type comments. The Chair who was deputising for the regular chair was way out of his depth and tried to ignore people he knew would be making challenging questions, choosing instead to regularly allow Trustees to speak. It wasn't until a group of us from Yorkshire sat near the back insisted he stopped ignoring Hilary Reed (sat right in front of him) that he allowed her to speak.

Incidentally, Philip Benstead has asked it to be mentioned that he is unable to access this forum at the moment, he feels that it is a possibility that his comments are being blocked.

Democracy? Don't make me laugh :lol:

.................and charity? (see dictionary definition) - don't make me laugh, either.

The group from Yorkshire were representing members - CUK don't do that, do they?
mjr

Post by mjr »

atoz wrote:Once British Cycling comes up with a better insurance offer, I'll be off (member since 1983).

Graham57 wrote:Is BC any more accountable?

Not as far as I can tell. People don't seem to know how the democracy works beyond their own local club (or if there is a democracy), plus BC gets loads of money from sports grants which they seem to micturate up the wall without accountability.

Cyclenation member group LCC offers third-party insurance for £9.50/year and you can join LCC or your local Cyclenation group (or none). Some household policies also offer it as an option.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.