Minimum Annual Milage

landsurfer

Minimum Annual Milage

Post by landsurfer »

We are the Cyclists' Touring Club Ltd.
Our brand is CUK.
Surely our Council members, Board members and Trustees should have to complete a minimum annual mileage.
If those with less than 12 months membership are to be allowed positions of management, at any level, there should be a qualifing mileage to be carried out on the appropriate peddled device (bike )?
We could have a sliding scale based on ... ?
Well, not gender or age obviously, colour, religion .. no, that won't work ...

How about just mileage then ?

If you cannot complete 2400 miles of cycling per year, Strava or GPS recorded...you cannot be an officer of the company .... or a representative either ...
We would not want to exclude very mature members with experience so very experienced riders previous 5 year average would be counted ....

Discuss ..... :)
lol ......
Last edited by landsurfer on 12 Dec 2016, 10:11pm, edited 5 times in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
gaz

Re: Minimum Annual Milage

Post by gaz »

landsurfer wrote:... there should be a qualifing mileage to be carried out on the bike ?

No-o-o-o-o-o-o-o ...... You used the B word.
The requirement to ride a bike was abolished in 1883 :wink:.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Si

Post by Si »

This is sort of like an on-going light-hearted debate we have in our office. Our team has won various awards for getting people cycling - we've got 1000s of people cycling in the last couple of years, many from communities that cycling traditionally finds hardest to reach. There is a lady who works in a central position on the team....she virtually never gets on a bike. Yet our work would not have been as successful as it is without her talents. If you have a specific area of expertise and you are willing to listen and take advise on matters that you aren't expert in (such as riding high mileages) does it really matter that you don't ride that far yourself? In our case such a rule would have caused us problems...nonetheless, we still rag her about it ;-)

On the other hand, we have had some planners near our team who plan cycle infra'.....they don't cycle and it has shown in the designs.
ianmac5

Post by ianmac5 »

Love it, Landsurfer! Next step: a motion for the AGM?

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
mjr

Post by mjr »

ianmac5 wrote:Love it, Landsurfer! Next step: a motion for the AGM?

Cool - another instruction from the membership for the nominations committee to ignore?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

mjr wrote:

Cool - another instruction from the membership for the nominations committee to ignore?

Unless we all band together and storm the barricades of their ivory towers.
Brothers, Sisters, and those who haven't made there mind up yet, we will prevail .....
Or not ... and I and all my posts will mysteriously disappear ..... :D :D
Again ....lol
Be more Mike.
Barred1

Post by Barred1 »

landsurfer wrote:
mjr wrote:

Unless we all band together and storm the barricades of their ivory towers.
Brothers, Sisters, and those who haven't made there mind up yet, we will prevail .....
Or not ... and I and all my posts will mysteriously disappear ..... :D :D
Again ....lol

You were all loved up with CTC last week . . . what's occurring ?

B1
Riding high!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Barred1 wrote:
You were all loved up with CTC last week . . . what's occurring ?

B1

Humour ... thats whats occurring ..... self deprecating humour ... and :)
Be more Mike.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe they should just have to prove that they can ride a bi-cycle.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

landsurfer wrote:We are the Cyclists' Touring Club Ltd.
Our brand is CUK.
Surely our Council members, Board members and Trustees should have to complete a minimum annual mileage.
If those with less than 12 months membership are to be allowed positions of management, at any level, there should be a qualifing mileage to be carried out on the appropriate peddled device (bike )?
We could have a sliding scale based on ... ?
Well, not gender or age obviously, colour, religion .. no, that won't work ...

How about just mileage then ?

If you cannot complete 2400 miles of cycling per year, Strava or GPS recorded...you cannot be an officer of the company .... or a representative either ...
We would not want to exclude very mature members with experience so very experienced riders previous 5 year average would be counted ....

Discuss ..... :)
lol ......

Trouble is it would move the organisation from "charity professionals" into those who have experience of cycling and are aware of what needs to be done. And my impression is that the organisation is moving more and more to the "charity professionals" and further and further from the "cyclists and cycling".

Ian
PH

Post by PH »

Psamathe wrote:[
Trouble is it would move the organisation from "charity professionals" into those who have experience of cycling and are aware of what needs to be done. And my impression is that the organisation is moving more and more to the "charity professionals" and further and further from the "cyclists and cycling".
Ian

That may be your impression and I can see how anyone else reading this forum might share it. But is it the reality? Of course it's entirely possible for a charity professional to also be a cycling enthusiast, where that's the case isn't the organisation better off for it? Who are these "charity professionals" that warrant the inverted commas? All those on the recent ballot for trustees looked like they were capable of a professional approach and they all seemed cycling enthusiasts, why else do you think they'd have put themselves forward? If you know any that are not, maybe you could name them?
Cycling UK isn't the organisation CTC used to be, some people might like that others think it's the end of the world. Either way I think it's too early to know what it will become and it's better to be working with what we have than mourning the past. As for the touring, my experience is that the best of that happens at a local level, my impression is that that's always been the case. I've seen nothing that could be detrimental to that, indeed there's more support for local groups currently than in the recent past.
RickH

Post by RickH »

landsurfer wrote:If you cannot complete 2400 miles of cycling per year, Strava or GPS recorded...you cannot be an officer of the company .... or a representative either ...

If you cycle 3 miles each way commuting (or part of a commute) 5 days a week for 48 weeks a year (come rain or shine) plus 500 miles of touring plus a 40 mile ride once a month you would barely scrape the mileage (2420 miles by my reckoning).

Miss your 40 mile ride one month (maybe when you're doing the touring) and you are ruled out for not being a good enough cyclist, even though you've probably ridden your bike around 260 days of the year!

If you miss a week's commuting for any reason you are also ruled out! :?
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
PH

Post by PH »

RickH wrote:
landsurfer wrote:If you cannot complete 2400 miles of cycling per year, Strava or GPS recorded...you cannot be an officer of the company .... or a representative either ...

If you cycle 3 miles each way commuting (or part of a commute) 5 days a week for 48 weeks a year (come rain or shine) plus 500 miles of touring plus a 40 mile ride once a month you would barely scrape the mileage (2420 miles by my reckoning).

Miss your 40 mile ride one month (maybe when you're doing the touring) and you are ruled out for not being a good enough cyclist, even though you've probably ridden your bike around 260 days of the year!

If you miss a week's commuting for any reason you are also ruled out! :?

whereas someone who loads the bike on the car to do a weekly chaingang, plus a monthly TT and half a dozen sportives a year will probably qualify.
I can't see how any selection process can be valid if it doesn't include fitting Marathon Pluses at the side of the road, extra points if it's raining and instant executive position if you complete without swearing.