Compulsory Helmets in Local Group.

meic

Compulsory Helmets in Local Group.

Post by meic »

I have just heard verbally that a local CUK group which I ride with, Pembrokeshire Freewheelers, passed a compulsory helmet rule for rides, coming into force 2017 at the AGM last October.

Can they do this while being part of the CUK?
Yma o Hyd
gaz

Re: Compulsory Helmets in Local Group.

Post by gaz »

I'll be very surprised if they can, I'll start digging about the website for some links.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
gaz

Post by gaz »

CTC/Cycling UK Policy statement unsurprisingly opposes mandatory helmet wearing.

Ride Leader Handbook 2016 quotes the above policy.

5.1.3 Rider equipment

Points to note:
• Cycling UK advocates freedom of choice as regards the wearing of helmets and hi-viz clothing (https://www.cyclinguk.org/campaigning/v ... -briefings)

Member Group Handbook 2012 makes it clear that Member Groups are expected to follow National Policies, including ride leader guidance (my underline). I cannot find a more recent version and I therefore believe it to be current, the principle of Local Groups being required to follow National Policy is long standing.
National Policies

There is also a set of documents that covers the day-to-day issues that a CTC Member Group may face. They include:
ride leader guidelines, incident report forms and so on. This set of forms may be downloaded from the Resources section of http://www.ctc.org.uk.

The Handbook is clear that local policy cannot override National Policy.
Local Policies

Member Groups may set their own local policies and rules but these may not overrule the policies laid out within this Policy Handbook.
In the absence of any local policies, the policies in this handbook apply

Re-iterated in another section
What CTC Council may expect of CTC Member Groups:

• To adhere to such policies or codes of practice that are provided by CTC Council or Groups to ensure activities are as safe, practical, enjoyable and accessible for all as far as possible within the resources of local volunteers;

I'd suggest any further enquiry/complaint goes either to Julie Rand (groups@cyclinguk.org) or via an elected Trustee.
Last edited by gaz on 22 Dec 2016, 2:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I've stumbled across this issue once before.
Sheffield District CTC MTB ride.
Q. Am I required to wear a helmet?

A. No, helmet wearing is not compulsory on road rides. On our road rides some members wear helmets while others choose not to. For mountain bike rides you are expected to wear gloves and a helmet.

Maybe there are more :( .
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Lots of get outs there. CUK advocates choice but what is that choice? One choice could be to ride with the local group and obey their rules or not ride with them.

Personally I feel that if members vote to wear helmets on their rides it is the wish of the group. To go against the will of that group's members seems plain impolite or rude. If wearing a helmet when riding with that group is such an issue for you then how well are you going to fit in? Is that group really right for you? It does seem that you and the members of the group have different outlooks on helmets, what.about everything else?

Perhaps look for some other people or groups to ride with.
meic

Post by meic »

That is rather jumping to conclusions, I have been riding with that group, on and off, for probably a decade now.
We all get along quite amicably, I actually am part of that group, I just dont bother (and on this instance couldnt possibly) attending AGMs.
Yma o Hyd
gaz

Post by gaz »

At the moment my hope is that the verbal reports meic has received have not painted the picture correctly. I'm sure he'll be making enquiries locally and reporting back once things are more certain.

I feel that Tangled Metal misunderstands the nature of CTC/Cycling UK Member Groups.

The Volunteers are expected and required to follow the policies of Cycling UK. The choice is for Volunteers to make; organise rides and events in accordance with those policies, or Volunteer elsewhere.
PH

Post by PH »

I'd have thought the first step would be to ask what motion was actually proposed at the AGM. If it was as you've been told, I'd ask National Office to have a look, as I understand it CTC membership entitles you to ride with member groups, it isn't reasonable for them to impose restrictions on that.
EDIT - Just had a look at their website, where most (But certainly not all) cycling photos show the riders helmeted, which makes it an odd thing to propose.
Last edited by PH on 18 Dec 2016, 8:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
meic

Post by meic »

OK, thanks for the suggestions, I have asked for a copy of the minutes of the AGM, I may well have already had them and deleted them as I dont normally interfere with what club officials choose to do on my behalf.
Yma o Hyd
PH

Post by PH »

Oh well, looks like something for NO to get involved with.
meic

Post by meic »

EDIT - Just had a look at their website, where most (But certainly not all) cycling photos show the riders helmeted, which makes it an odd thing to propose.

There were two separate very serious head injury accidents this year, one fatal, to members or at least people strongly assosciated to the group but not on club events. I have no idea if they were wearing helmets or not when they crashed.
Yma o Hyd
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

From my experience of the Ramblers, some local groups do not operate according to rules imposed by the main organization in all things. If CTC/CUK operates more strictly than that then my comments obviously doesn't apply.

In your case then refer it up the organization. If they've broken rules then it may get rectified. However, if as you said there's been a death and serious injury to members or their friends, well it may mean a lot to some in your group. How you react could stir up strong feelings. Just make sure how strongly you feel about helmet wearing. Diplomacy may be a good idea if you're not bothered too much by wearing a helmet or not. Your choice.
Last edited by Tangled Metal on 18 Dec 2016, 9:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
meic

Post by meic »

However, if add you said there's been a death and serious injury to members or their friends

They were my friends too.
Yma o Hyd
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

meic wrote:
However, if add you said there's been a death and serious injury to members or their friends

They were my friends too.

No offence meant, it was my inference from your post that the incidents involved people known to some in the group well but not quite by you. Sorry if my assumption was wrong. I didn't mean any offense.