Just 'Re-joined?' after THAT charity conversion debacle

deliquium

Re: Just 'Re-joined?' after THAT charity conversion debacle

Post by deliquium »

gaz wrote:Welcome back Paul.

I also never went away.

Thanks gaz :D
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

I decided to stick with them for the moment and see what happens. I was very surprised today to receive a large envelope containing a renewal for 'we are cycling UK' plus a rather nice certificate from ' The Council of Cyclists Touring Club' expressing appreciation for 10 years of membership (although I was also a member in the 70s and 80s) and featuring 2 Winged Wheel emblems!
Are they trying to convince me that I still belong to a club rather than just being a supporter of a charity or are the certificates just old stock? It is a rather fine certificate.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Are you sure it's a certificate, 10 years is supposed to be a Presidential Letter.

I expect this is one of those things that falls under the "Heritage" branding, at least until the old stock is used up :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

I was a member for a few years until "the nasty business of the charity conversion/coup....." but this very day have rejoined!

Simply that the Notts group has started Saturday "easy" rides and having had my free three tasters and hoping that I can probably just about keep up on most of the c.35 mile outings, I was sufficiently motivated to stump up the over-65s subs! I was never more than a peripheral member but I do find the "Cycling UK" thing sad.
mjr

Post by mjr »

djnotts wrote:Simply that the Notts group has started Saturday "easy" rides and having had my free three tasters and hoping that I can probably just about keep up on most of the c.35 mile outings, I was sufficiently motivated to stump up the over-65s subs!

Ah, so the "join else you can't ride on the public roads with us" blackmail policy does work sometimes.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

mjr wrote:
djnotts wrote:Simply that the Notts group has started Saturday "easy" rides and having had my free three tasters and hoping that I can probably just about keep up on most of the c.35 mile outings, I was sufficiently motivated to stump up the over-65s subs!

Ah, so the "join else you can't ride on the public roads with us" blackmail policy does work sometimes.

Out of order mjr , beyond cynical .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"Ah, so the "join else you can't ride on the public roads with us" blackmail policy does work sometimes."

Not how I view it at all. It's a "club" (for want of a better word!) and I can see no element of "blackmail" in a condition that requires me to pay my subs in order to enjoy a benefit of membership. (Pretty much like the EU really....)
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

gaz wrote
Are you sure its a certificate

I suppose it is actually a presidential letter but it does look like a certificate with the writing superimposed over a large Winged Wheel and a smaller one top centre with 'Founded 1878' underneath it. Definitely heritage!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Barred1

Post by Barred1 »

djnotts wrote:"Ah, so the "join else you can't ride on the public roads with us" blackmail policy does work sometimes."

Not how I view it at all. It's a "club" (for want of a better word!) and I can see no element of "blackmail" in a condition that requires me to pay my subs in order to enjoy a benefit of membership. (Pretty much like the EU really....)

I would agree that "blackmail" is a bit strong, but then that's often mjr's style - BUT it does seem a bit tough that you have to pay (quite a lot) for the only "benefit" that you want which is riding with some pals.

B1
Riding high!
nez

Post by nez »

I just gave up. I'm 'retired' but 7 months short of state pension and when the renewal came through at £43 I'm afraid it made me think it would be very charitable indeed of me to cough that up on the basis I agreed with the aims of the one time club.
meic

Post by meic »

I "have" to rejoin. In order to ride with my friends on CTC club rides, to do the FNRTTC, and they are the cover organisation for events like the Cotswold weekend and New Forest Cycling Week.
Then it saves me £2 on each AUK entry fee.

Tandem Club membership gives me third party insurance but otherwise I would "need" that too.
Yma o Hyd
mjr

Post by mjr »

meic wrote:I "have" to rejoin. In order to ride with my friends on CTC club rides, to do the FNRTTC, and they are the cover organisation for events like the Cotswold weekend and New Forest Cycling Week.

I don't know about the others, but FNRTTC now also welcomes LCC and BC members, so don't feel that one forces you: http://fridaynightridetothecoast.blogsp ... rance.html
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
meic

Post by meic »

I am 250 miles from London and all local BC events have compulsory helmet rules.
So it remains a reason why I have to re-join CUK.
Yma o Hyd
mjr

Post by mjr »

meic wrote:I am 250 miles from London and all local BC events have compulsory helmet rules.
So it remains a reason why I have to re-join CUK.

Your call. There is no distance limit on LCC and I suspect FNRTTC would also welcome members of LCC siblings as long as they hold LCC insurance (which is available for a £9.50 add-on to membership). I've not checked who your nearest cyclenation.org group is, though. Might not be one, but even then, you could start one ;-)
PH

Post by PH »

nez dans le guidon wrote:I just gave up. I'm 'retired' but 7 months short of state pension and when the renewal came through at £43 I'm afraid it made me think it would be very charitable indeed of me to cough that up on the basis I agreed with the aims of the one time club.

There isn't a pensioners rate, there's a seniors one for those over 65 whether retired or not and one for anyone unwaged regardless of age.
Both are £28.50 a year or payable £2.38 a month.