Inclusive Cycling

Jancun

Inclusive Cycling

Postby Jancun » 5 Jan 2017, 3:05pm

Hi Everyone, Newbie here.
I am a member of a Hitchin based group called Lifegeta (for people with life-changing conditions). Many have mobility problems ranging from mild to severe. Some have cognitive, logic problems also. I am searching for somewhere nearby or within Hertfordshire to give them a taster of what it would be like to cycle and hopefully promote further use and interest for them. I myself am a carer for my husband who was a keen cyclist in the past and together we both ranged far and wide around the country. I would like to give him (and the group members) some activity back in their life which they may have thought was beyond their reach, perhaps initially in a safe environment. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful. No too far to travel would be wonderful.

gaz

Re: Inclusive Cycling

Postby gaz » 5 Jan 2017, 3:55pm

Welcome to the forum.

If you want to find a local group try zooming in on the map at the bottom of the Inclusive Cycling page on the main Cycling UK website.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

Vorpal

Re: Inclusive Cycling

Postby Vorpal » 13 Jan 2017, 7:47am

Jancun wrote:Hi Everyone, Newbie here.
I am a member of a Hitchin based group called Lifegeta (for people with life-changing conditions). Many have mobility problems ranging from mild to severe. Some have cognitive, logic problems also. I am searching for somewhere nearby or within Hertfordshire to give them a taster of what it would be like to cycle and hopefully promote further use and interest for them. I myself am a carer for my husband who was a keen cyclist in the past and together we both ranged far and wide around the country. I would like to give him (and the group members) some activity back in their life which they may have thought was beyond their reach, perhaps initially in a safe environment. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful. No too far to travel would be wonderful.

Stanborough Park in Welwyn Garden City have regular sessions for disabled cyclists. You can also book personalised events. I think they are called 'Easy Riders'. I imagine they are in the CTC list.

Lee Valley Country Park has http://www.cyclinguk.org/map-feature/le ... le-ability
They can help you organise an event and have trikes, hand trikes, and other pedal cycle mobility equipment available.
The Velopark also has track equipment for disabled cyclists.

A little further afield, Trailnet CIC have all-ability equipment hire and regular events at Thorndon Country Park and Great Notley Country Park.
https://www.facebook.com/trailnet.cic/?fref=ts

There are also groups and regular events in Cambridge and Huntingdon, which are maybe closer to you.

Good luck :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom