CUK recruiting Off-road access officer - Tech officer next?

keithb

CUK recruiting Off-road access officer - Tech officer next?

Post by keithb »

I saw in cycleclips the other week that CTC are trying to recruit a new "off road access officer". This would appear to be a direct replacement of the role Ian Wharby (I think) undertook for CTC, and is certainly a position that existed previously, it makes me wonder if the powers that be are actually beginning to listen to the membership, at least in areas where public gains can be made.

Given I have not renewed my membership (last summer) with a lack of off-road campaigning being one of my reasons, it' starting to feel like the organisation is beginning to respond to the needs of cyclists. Now that total restructure seems to have bottomed out....

I wonder if there'e any consideration being given to a replacement "technical officer" post? I think this has massive value to the organisation to guide and speak authoritatively to MPs, regulators, legislators etc on the technical aspects of cycling (thinking of lighting regulations here for example).

I hope they do return to having a technical post, as it was one of the most valued by members and gave real technical weight to arguments for cycling.

Thoughts?
mjr

Re: CUK recruiting Off-road access officer - Tech officer next?

Post by mjr »

How long do they have to leave it between telling someone they're redundant and recreating the post?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

keithb wrote: I think this has massive value to the organisation to guide and speak authoritatively to MPs, regulators, legislators etc on the technical aspects of cycling (thinking of lighting regulations here for example).

I hope they do return to having a technical post, as it was one of the most valued by members and gave real technical weight to arguments for cycling.

Thoughts?

I couldn't agree more and it fell right in with the charity objectives so it still makes no sense to me why they made the role redundant.
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote:How long do they have to leave it between telling someone they're redundant and recreating the post?

Many years ago (15+) something similar happened to me, I was told that there was no minimum but I could claim it had been an unfair dismissal, though the limit for that was three months from the time I left. It may have changed...
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I don't know the law but on the few occasions we had to make redundancies we thought in terms of 2 years. Basically err to the side of caution and make sure you are genuinely making the position/function redundant and NOT the person. I'd guess the shorter the time, the stronger the case the person made redundant would have if pursuing the employer for unfair dismissal.

How long ago was the previous incumbent of this position made redundant ?

Ian
PH

Post by PH »

Psamathe wrote:I'd guess the shorter the time, the stronger the case the person made redundant would have if pursuing the employer for unfair dismissal.Ian

Just checked and the time limit on instigating an unfair dismissal claim is still three months.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PH wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I'd guess the shorter the time, the stronger the case the person made redundant would have if pursuing the employer for unfair dismissal.Ian

Just checked and the time limit on instigating an unfair dismissal claim is still three months.

I guess our 2 years was just to make absolutely 110% sure it was the role we ending, that we were not reacting short term, that our remaining employees didn't start to wonder about us being a "hire & fire" outfit, that we didn't dismiss on a whim and then change our minds a few months later, etc.

Ian
PH

Post by PH »

Psamathe wrote:
PH wrote:

I guess our 2 years was just to make absolutely 110% sure it was the role we ending, that we were not reacting short term, that our remaining employees didn't start to wonder about us being a "hire & fire" outfit, that we didn't dismiss on a whim and then change our minds a few months later, etc.
Ian

Seems very reasonable, I was a bit surprised I had no claim when my role was given to someone else less than a year after it had been made redundant.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

How much will she earn, I mean how much will she be paid?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies