Cycling UK AGM : 13th May 2017 : London

Graham

Cycling UK AGM : 13th May 2017 : London

Post by Graham »

Our AGM will take place on Saturday 13th May 2017 at 10.00am at the . . . .

Wesley Hotel & Conference venue, 81/103 Euston Road, London NW1 2EZ.

To obtain admission, members must produce a valid membership card or proof of current membership.

To book your place you must notify sue.cherry@cyclinguk.org or ring 01483 238302 as space is limited at the venue.

http://www.cyclinguk.org/agm
landsurfer

Re: Cycling UK AGM : 13th May 2017 : London

Post by landsurfer »

Received my voting form .... don't take the magazine.
Motion's 9 and 10 are a no brainer ... thats a "To vote For" ... (Grammar ?)
Motion 15 .... seems like a trap to me.....
No mention of the highway code suicide change ?
I don't seem to have a list of potential proxies ... just the chair ?
Surely other board / committee members should be on offer ?
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
gaz

Post by gaz »

If you appoint "Named Individual" as your proxy and "Named Individual" is unable to attend on the day your vote will not be cast.

If you appoint "The Chair" of your AGM as your proxy and "The Chair" of the Board of Trustees is unable to attend someone else will act in the role of "The Chair" of the AGM and your proxy vote will still be cast*.

"The Chair" will cast your vote in accordance with your expressed wishes. You can instruct "The Chair" to vote for or against any motion as you see fit or you can instruct "The Chair" to cast your vote at "The Chair's" own discretion.

*Subject to the required quorum of members present for the meeting to proceed.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Does the chair separate votes into for and against etc or does he / she / they just vote as they decide is best and carry all the proxy votes with them ?
Like an MP ... sort of ...
Be more Mike.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Available expressions of wish* on each Motion are "For", "Against", "Abstain" or "Chair's own discretion".

"The Chair" will cast members' votes in the "For", Against" and "Abstain" categories precisely as instructed.

"The Chair" is bound to cast any members' votes in the "Chair's own discretion" category in the best interests of the Charity. This can be reasonably expected to be in line with Council's expressed view on the Motion.

*I have not consulted the voting paper to check the exact wording.
PH

Post by PH »

landsurfer wrote:I don't seem to have a list of potential proxies ... just the chair ?

Well that would be a list of every single CTC member, how big is your letterbox?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Was thinking board members / trustees etc
Be more Mike.
gaz

Post by gaz »

PH wrote:Well that would be a list of every single CTC member, how big is your letterbox?

You can appoint any proxy that you wish, they do not need to be a member.
PH

Post by PH »

landsurfer wrote:Does the chair separate votes into for and against etc or does he / she / they just vote as they decide is best and carry all the proxy votes with them ?
Like an MP ... sort of ...

You choose.
At the top of the page:
To direct your proxy how to vote, put a cross (X) in the appropriate box ....if you leave boxes against any motion blank, your proxy will be able to vote as they see fit.
PH

Post by PH »

landsurfer wrote:Was thinking board members / trustees etc

Last year the 2nd largest proxy after the chair was Phillip, who had no official position.
PH

Post by PH »

gaz wrote:
PH wrote:Well that would be a list of every single CTC member, how big is your letterbox?

You can appoint any proxy that you wish, they do not need to be a member.

An even longer list...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I presume that anybody appointing a proxy including the chair has the choice of leaving the decision on which way to vote to their proxy or directing which way their vote should be cast on individual agenda items. If so, then AFAIK, the biggest problem with the latter approach is that their proxy has no discretion to respond to changing circumstances during the meeting.

IMO, the most obvious thing is that appointing the chair as proxy and giving the chair discretion implies accepting what might be called the official line. During the discussions preceding and following the charity conversion votes, there seemed to be some misunderstanding about this which led to some misplaced comments about the chair and the role he played.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I nominated a proxy but did not tell them. They proposed one of the motions for the AGM so I reckon they'll be there.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
PH

Post by PH »

thirdcrank wrote:I presume that anybody appointing a proxy including the chair has the choice of leaving the decision on which way to vote to their proxy or directing which way their vote should be cast on individual agenda items. If so, then AFAIK, the biggest problem with the latter approach is that their proxy has no discretion to respond to changing circumstances during the meeting.

The first point is answered above, yes you can either direct your proxy or leave them to place your vote as they see fit. This is done on a motion by motion basis.
On your second point, I'm not sure how much circumstances can change during a meeting, a motion can't be amended. It seems unlikely that the chair would be influenced by the handful attending, it would seem undemocratic if they were.
That may leave you wondering what the point of the meeting is, well having been to one (And that will be the only one) I don't think there's any point at all other than fulfilling the legal obligation and the buffet.
RickH

Post by RickH »

belgiangoth wrote:I nominated a proxy but did not tell them. They proposed one of the motions for the AGM so I reckon they'll be there.

If you don't tell your proxy they may not know, & may not get told, that they are your proxy so may not know that they can cast a vote on your behalf.

AFAIK the proposer of a motion is encouraged to be at the meeting but it is not compulsory. If they are not there for any reason then, as stated previously, your vote will be lost. Only "the Chair" is guaranteed to be there.

PH wrote:...I'm not sure how much circumstances can change during a meeting, a motion can't be amended. It seems unlikely that the chair would be influenced by the handful attending, it would seem undemocratic if they were.

Things may not change during the meeting but it is possible that something happens between publishing the details and the actual AGM - compelling evidence on something is published, legislation announced, etc. - that changes the Board's view on a particular subject. Probably unlikely but still possible.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.