Wot no TRANsport !!?

CJ

Wot no TRANsport !!?

Post by CJ »

I wonder how many have actually read these new Articles of Association that we've been asked to support?

I didn't have to read any further than Article 4 (The OBJECTS of the Charity) to realise that I could not vote for them. Why? Because according to article 4.1, the kinds of cycling promoted by CTC/CUK do not include the use of a bicycle as a means of transport! Here's what it says:

4.1- promote community participation in healthy recreation by promoting the amateur sport of cycling, cycle touring and associated amateur sports;

Going by that, we're mostly about sport - plus touring. Whereas my impression is that CTC is all about cycling for a practical purpose, to go some place, ie for transport, with touring as a 'transport of delight' if you will. Sport didn't really come into it, not on my watch anyway.

My objection at this juncture however, is not to the inclusion of sport, but the OMISSION of cycling for transport, from the healthy activities PROMOTED by our organisation.

Transport cycling may well benefit indirectly, from the "encouraging and facilitating" of cycling in general that is the object of Article 4.2, but I don't think that's enough. To be frank, I think promotion of amateur sport should not be any concern of CTC/CUK, but even if one thinks it should, the balance here surely sets the wrong tone: with TWO mentions of sport in article 4.1 versus ZERO on transport!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
thirdcrank

Re: Wot no TRANsport !!?

Post by thirdcrank »

I suppose somebody has been trying to comply with this:-

How to decide what your charity’s purposes are and write them in the ‘objects’ clause of your governing document.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-writ ... e-purposes

Helpfully, there's a list of the thirteen broad headings under which charitable purposes are grouped:-
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... e-purposes

At point 9 we see "The advancement of amateur sport." As a pointer, we see that Bridge has been classed as amateur sport but there's nothing obvious about cycling to work, or to the shops. :(

Perhaps it needs a bit of lateral thinking. :idea: "The advancement of environmental protection or improvement" is at point 11. Or there's the usual catch all at point 15 "Any other charitable purposes."

There's certainly nothing about providing for those who are "only in it for the insurance." :lol:
gaz

Re: Wot no TRANsport !!?

Post by gaz »

You might as well ask how many have actually read our current Articles of Association.

1.7 The objects for which the Club is established (the Objects) are to:
........ 1.7.1 promote community participation in healthy recreation by promoting the amateur sport of cycling, cycle touring and associated amateur sports;

Vote for, vote against, abstain; whatever the outcome it won't change our Charitable Objects.

CJ wrote:... My objection at this juncture however, is not to the inclusion of sport, but the OMISSION of cycling for transport, from the healthy activities PROMOTED by our organisation. ...

Fair comment. A lot of time has been spent on the governance review and at some stage in that process the decision was made to leave our Charitable Objects unchanged.

I'm sure you have mentioned Sustrans before in this regard as evidence that a Charity can promote cycling for transport without having sport in its objects.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade