How to cancel a CUK 'membership' ?

deliquium

How to cancel a CUK 'membership' ?

Post by deliquium »

Having 'rejoined' the newly crappily named organisation earlier this year after that charity conversion debacle - I don't feel the capitulation is a good idea after all.

I've not been able to find how to 'resign' again.

Any tips or links most welcome
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
landsurfer

Re: How to cancel a CUK 'membership' ?

Post by landsurfer »

Cancelling the Direct Debit would have a good place to start .... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Except that if you don't tell them, they wil just reinstate the Direct Debit, and you'll have a real job getting it back.

If, however, you can show that you told them, then the bank will have to reimburse any over payments. So just send them an e-mail saying you quit!! Doesn't matter if they don't even see it, the point is that you send it to a contact address off their website - such as membership@cyclinguk.org.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cancel it with the bank and they can't reinstate it
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Cancel it with the bank and they can't reinstate it

+1 ...thats how it works ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

They can. A modern Direct Debit can be created by anybody with access to your bank details. 99% of the time they don't even need a signaature, and your bank certainly won't ask to see one.

If you don't tell them, they can just recreate it once they see that it's not been paid. More often than not it's just an automatic process with no person involved at-all.

You need to inform them prior to cancelling the Debit
robgul

Post by robgul »

Not sure how the DD issue crept in - the OP made no mention of how payment was made??

I simply emailed the membership department (IIRC I was 4 months into a 12 month term, having paid for the year - in about November 2015) and simply said I wanted to cancel my membership and have a refund of the balance of the year's subscription. Amazingly I got a refund to my credit card in 4 days. [I had looked at the Ts&Cs and there was no mention of cancellation or that you couldn't cancel]

That said, IF a monthly DD is in force then you'd need to instruct the bank to cancel it (although the DD rules to enable you, via the bank, to recall a DD for monies already if you have a valid reason] .. . . as an aside : the recall issue is why in days gone by mortgage and other payments were paid by "banker's order" - a payment made that way couldn't be recalled as the account holder had made the instruction to his bank, rather than the recipient making a claim on the bank account as with a DD.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

chris_suffolk wrote:

They can. A modern Direct Debit can be created by anybody with access to your bank details. 99% of the time they don't even need a signaature, and your bank certainly won't ask to see one.

If you don't tell them, they can just recreate it once they see that it's not been paid. More often than not it's just an automatic process with no person involved at-all.

You need to inform them prior to cancelling the Debit

Yes it's possible to reinstate a DD but legit organisations like CTC would not do it. There are proper procedures to go through and putting at risk their authority to use dd's would not be worth it. In any case you would just ask the bank to refund the money which they would. A pain yes loss of money no
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

robgul wrote:Not sure how the DD issue crept in - the OP made no mention of how payment was made??

I simply emailed the membership department (IIRC I was 4 months into a 12 month term, having paid for the year - in about November 2015) and simply said I wanted to cancel my membership and have a refund of the balance of the year's subscription. Amazingly I got a refund to my credit card in 4 days. [I had looked at the Ts&Cs and there was no mention of cancellation or that you couldn't cancel]

Rob

Thanks Rob - being unable to find any reference to cancellation I thought I was being twp :roll: A simple email is easy enough :)
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"