When will P Tuohy Leave?

Vitara

Re: When will P Tuohy Leave?

Post by Vitara »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I'm Philip Benstead!

There is a forum member *Philip Benstead*. Are there two people with the same name, or do you use aliases? I am very confused

I think Gaz twigged :lol:

I'm Philip Benstead, and so's my wife
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Vitara wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
There is a forum member *Philip Benstead*. Are there two people with the same name, or do you use aliases? I am very confused

I think Gaz twigged :lol:

I'm Philip Benstead, and so's my wife

We're the Benstead Triplets!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Who might replace him if/when he goes? PB?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

This may be a stupid question (typical of me, actually) but given the current situation and set-up of the erstwhile CTC - what's wrong with him?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

JohnW wrote:This may be a stupid question (typical of me, actually) but given the current situation and set-up of the erstwhile CTC - what's wrong with him?

e.g. The way they discarded CJ e.g. the money spent on rebranding only to see the membership numbers in decline, etc.

Ian
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Psamathe wrote:
JohnW wrote:This may be a stupid question (typical of me, actually) but given the current situation and set-up of the erstwhile CTC - what's wrong with him?

e.g. The way they discarded CJ e.g. the money spent on rebranding only to see the membership numbers in decline, etc.

Ian

Thanks Ian. Personally I agree with you in deploring the matters that you refer to, together with a myriad of other things. However, is all this the sole fault of PT? This all started before PT came, and I believe that the previous chair has a higher degree of responsibility for the demise of our club for cyclists than the Chief Exec. in the final analysis, isn't the chief exec there to be an obedient employee and to do as the dictating board tells him.

This could open a can of worms that should remain closed, but I don't want to demonise an individual unjustly.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I complained officially about the Technical Officer being (very silently) made redundant, but was unhappy with the meaningless-corporate-speak style response from a subordinate (as requested by CEO): I had hoped for an apology, with an announcement of official recognition of his(Chris Juden's) work in next Cycle mag.

I don't want this thread to be a discussion of PT and his management style (you can research it elsewhere), I only want responses on when he will leave (which doesn't seem to be known :( ).
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

SA_SA_SA wrote:I complained officially about the Technical Officer being (very silently) made redundant, but was unhappy with the meaningless-corporate-speak style response from a subordinate (as requested by CEO)...

You should be celebrating from the roof-tops that you got a response. That is a real achievement with the CTC so they must hold you in particularly high regard.

Ian
keithpoole

Post by keithpoole »

I'm now seeing charities referred to as "The third sector" which sums it up neatly for me. A whole area divorced from the realities of wealth creation (private sector) and community needs (public sector) which when analysed exists solely to collect money from people and distribute it to others and in doing so create a whole industry of fairly well-paid individuals who hop up the ladder from small to bigger charities like fleas. So Mr T will go or not if and when an opening offers itself.
Last edited by keithpoole on 13 Jun 2017, 6:32pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Third sector also includes community interest companies and most cooperatives, who shouldn't be tarred with the same brush IMO. It's basically everything not for private profit or in state ownership.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
meic

Post by meic »

Not for Profit can be another wolf in sheep's clothing. The company does not make a profit and ploughs everything back into the enterprise.
Everything that is left, if anything at all, after the CEO, her husband and other employees have taken their lucrative salaries (and generous expenses) out. :wink:
Yma o Hyd
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

keithpoole wrote:I'm now seeing charities referred to as "The third sector" which sums it up neatly for me. A whole area divorced from the realities of wealth creation (private sector) and community needs (private sector) which when analysed exists solely to collect money from people and distribute it to others and in doing so create a whole industry of fairly well-paid individuals who hop up the ladder from small to bigger charities like fleas. So Mr T will go or not if and when an opening offers itself.

The press/media is the fourth Estate, what are the second and first?

Many charities do work that the state should be doing (food banks). What about Oxfam, Christian Aid etc, do they employ highly paid executives?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

The press/media is the fourth Estate, what are the second and first?

There are two quite unconnected concepts here.

One is the branches of government:
1. Legislature (parliament) which makes the law
2. Executive (government) which implements the law
3. Judiciary which adjudicates disputes in the law.

In principle, these should be independent. This thinking was formalised during the enlightenment, notably by Thomas Paine in the "Rights of Man"

My understanding is that whilst a free press is not formally part of constitutional government, it has been considered so integral to effective governance that it is referred to as the 4th arm or "estate"

Wiki provides some slightly different but related interpretations too ( clergy/nobility/commoners as alternative first three estates) [edited for clarity]
Last edited by roubaixtuesday on 11 Jun 2017, 8:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

The "third sector" is an unrelated concept.

Essentially private (profit making) is one sector of the economy, the "private sector"

Government is a second sector - the "public sector"

the "third sector" is charitable or other non-profit making activity not run by the government.

Although in practice, I think many third sector organisations are almost quasi public sector as they can rely very strongly on public subsidy.
mjr

Post by mjr »

You can just as easily say that many private sector organisations are quasi public sector because they've become dependant on public contracts.

I agree that profit is an accounting trick, which is why I rarely use the term "not for profit" any more.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.