When will P Tuohy Leave?

SA_SA_SA

When will P Tuohy Leave?

Post by SA_SA_SA »

When will When will Paul Tuohy leave?
The Technical and Touring Officers gone, the secret rebrands been done, and the governance stuffs went thru: whats left to do/change....
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
mjr

Re: When will P Tuohy Leave?

Post by mjr »

He's yet to secure his legacy because I don't think the "Big Bike Revival" is going to be a good legacy as it stands.

Mr Tuohy spent 4 or 5 years in his last two posts, and joined CTC in 2014, so I expect him to leave in a year or two. The likes of him don't spend decades doing jobs they love - that's for volunteers and mugs like us.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I'd say 'watch out CAMRA' seems to be doing the ground work for it. :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I met him once.

'nough said.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:I met him once.

'nough said.

I have noted him yet, please enlighten me, diolch
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Why - is he still at St Pancras?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Bonefishblues wrote:Why - is he still at St Pancras?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Isn't this a bit personal chaps? I don't approve of the direction CTC has taken but maybe we should focus on the what not the who?
mjr

Post by mjr »

geocycle wrote:Isn't this a bit personal chaps? I don't approve of the direction CTC has taken but maybe we should focus on the what not the who?

How do you think the direction is being steered if not by the CEO? There seems to have been a gutting, sorry I mean restructuring of council and further disconnection from member democratic control. PT appears to be trying to remake CTC in BC's image, with an ineffective remote elected body and powerful executives that really run things, possibly in the hope of being as successful as BC in getting grants, but I suspect he's twenty years too late.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

This really is in bad taste - The changes that have been made have been approved by Council and supported by the majority, all be a silent one, of members.

If you don't like what has been done or where Cycling UK it is going, then stand for Council or leave. If you are not a member then just leave him and us alone to get on with things

I had a spell of feeling aggrieved after the name changed, but concluded that as a utility cyclist as well as a cycle tourist the "new" organisation, as people perceive it to be, was actually not doing a bad job of lobbying for better road conditions, encouraging new cyclists and protecting the rights of existing ones.

I have recently spent a large number of hours in the "corridors of power" dealing with issues around house building and have a lot of sympathy for those who are dealing with the DOT on cycling issues - no body does this sort of stuff for fun. It can be time consuming and frustrating, "stuff" doesn't just happen on its own somebody, has to put in the leg work to lobby and seek additional funding.

What about giving him and Council some support for what they are doing, instead of constantly chipping away from the anonymity of a forum pseudonym.
gaz

Post by gaz »

steady eddy wrote:... If you are not a member then just leave him and us alone to get on with things ...

That's a view I cannot share. Cycling UK is a Charity, it works for the benefit of the public; in its own words it is "The cyclists' champion".

Cycling UK's actions are carried out in the name of all cyclists, it is reasonable for all cyclists to be able to express their own opinions on those actions/inactions and to seek to influence them.

I'd agree the best way to seek to influence Cycling UK policy is to stand for election to the Board of Trustees, applications are currently being taken.

Probably the worst way to try and influence policy is to post on the Cycling UK forum. Cycling UK does not view this forum as an official communication channel. The chances that anyone in a position to act on your views will read your posts are very slim, the chances of an "official" reply on the forum are bordering on zero.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

geocycle wrote:Isn't this a bit personal chaps? I don't approve of the direction CTC has taken but maybe we should focus on the what not the who?

+1 to that.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

gaz wrote:
steady eddy wrote:... If you are not a member then just leave him and us alone to get on with things ...

That's a view I cannot share. Cycling UK is a Charity, it works for the benefit of the public..............

Oh gaz - I can't say +1 to that. The 'public' are substantially motorists, who despise cyclists...................but I can certainly understand eddy's response, and the sentiment that it suggests.

BUT

gaz wrote:..............Probably the worst way to try and influence policy is to post on the Cycling UK forum..................The chances that anyone in a position to act on your views will read your posts are very slim, the chances of an "official" reply on the forum are bordering on zero.

I'm sure is absolutely correct - although what they did to Philip Benstead does suggest that they do have some kind of an overview.

(Please note that this is not - repeat NOT - an attempt {and certainly NOT a desire} to re-ignite or re-start anything - I offer this only as an example).
Last edited by JohnW on 2 Jun 2017, 1:34pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

But the public still benefit from reduced cyclists deaths, and increasingly healthy population, better cooperation with local authorities, and better information about the benefits of cycling.

Even the most rabid cyclist-hating person gains some benfits from increasing numebrs of cyclists, whether they believe there are benefits, or not.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Vorpal wrote:But the public still benefit from reduced cyclists deaths, an increasingly healthy population, better cooperation with local authorities, and better information about the benefits of cycling.

Even the most rabid cyclist-hating person gains some benfits from increasing numbers of cyclists, whether they believe there are benefits, or not.

Yes, that's certainly fair comment - although the motorists that you refer to wouldn't perceive the benefit, nor recognise it as a benefit.