When will P Tuohy Leave?

PH

Re: When will P Tuohy Leave?

Post by PH »

mjr wrote:70,000 members in 2009

And I think about half of that a decade before.

I was going to write a longer answer, but previous discussions with you about CTC/Cycling UK have left us further entrenched rather than enlightened and I expect we both have better things to do.
RickH

Post by RickH »

mjr wrote:... especially the great danger to non-sports cycling for all which is BC?

Arguably they do more for inexperienced cyclists than Cycling UK through the Let's Ride (formerly Sky Ride) programme. Are there many (any) member groups that regularly organise rides of less than 15 miles, sometimes less than 10? No 3 rides & you have to join up either.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
PH

Post by PH »

RickH wrote:
mjr wrote:... especially the great danger to non-sports cycling for all which is BC?

Arguably they do more for inexperienced cyclists than Cycling UK through the Let's Ride (formerly Sky Ride) programme. Are there many (any) member groups that regularly organise rides of less than 15 miles, sometimes less than 10? No 3 rides & you have to join up either.

My member group does, then it can organise some of those rides as events open to all, then it can offer three months free introductory membership, then you can pay the subs by the month rather than in an annual lump sum. The reason you have to join CUK is the insurance, if you're on a BC ride that doesn't require membership, you're unlikely to be insured either.
Most of the BC's Lets Ride program is just a listing of other clubs rides, with the rides themselves having nothing to do with BC, I list some of our CTC rides on there. As such they can be very variable, and there's no telling the ability of the organisers. Their big success is the Breeze Groups, something Cycling UK could and should have done.
I'm a member of both, I'd rather see more co operation and less rivalry, I don't consider either to be without their faults, though I consider them both to do some good.
gaz

Post by gaz »

PH wrote:I'd rather see more co operation and less rivalry, I don't consider either to be without their faults, though I consider them both to do some good.

+1.
Tinpotflowers

Post by Tinpotflowers »

gaz wrote:
PH wrote:I'd rather see more co operation and less rivalry, I don't consider either to be without their faults, though I consider them both to do some good.

+1.

Why should BC cooperate, they are doing just fine.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Tinpotflowers wrote:
gaz wrote:

+1.

Because they recognise the benefits of cooperation? On their Campaigning page
We're working with our fellow active travel organisations to campaign for change.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Tinpotflowers

Post by Tinpotflowers »

RickH wrote:
Tinpotflowers wrote:
gaz wrote:+1.

Because they recognise the benefits of cooperation? On their Campaigning page
We're working with our fellow active travel organisations to campaign for change.

But why are people joining BC and not CUK?
millimole

Post by millimole »

Devil's advocate for a moment :
Why does CTC / CUK need any more than a small core number of members.?
If CUK are all about getting new people on bikes and advocacy for those riding bikes, then the only members it needs are the small number who do training and lead beginners rides, and the limited numbers of committed activists. The rest of us - the chaff who just ride - are just irrelevant.
I would guess the subscription income is minimal compared to the potential from grants, and the subs are there to prop up the grant application process.
A pure focus on member numbers is probably a focus on something that CTC/CUK no longer is interested in.
End of devils advocacy mode!
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The motor organisations have millions of supporters/members
I am ashamed to admit I was a member of one such, but only for the recovery service when my vehicle conked out
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tinpotflowers wrote:But why are people joining BC and not CUK?
It's a better name for one thing.

People can understand the simplicity of the name "British Cycling".
"Cycling UK" doesn't sound snappy and it's not a good name for the organisation at all IMO.

If they were to combine and join forces, the name BC would be the one they would use.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

CUK's legal help seems worth the membership.
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Oldjohnw wrote:CUK's legal help seems worth the membership.

I have my reservations about that John. A no win no fee firm who anyone could approach not just CUK members.
A company who will help you keep your licence in drink/ drugs driving offence https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/driving- ... olicitors/
I personally know of cases S&G said there was no case and https://www.cyclelawscotland.co.uk/ took on those cases and won compensation. Cycle Law Scotland will always be my number one go to.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Exactly.
That's why I'm a member.

BC don't do it, and they don't give a discount for unwaged/OAP like CUK do.

Plus, they are pro-helmet and any organised rides under their banner insist on a helmet too. I wanted to do a ride at the Eden Project last summer, but they insisted on a helmet, so I told them where to stick their rules and their ride.

If I wear a helmet or not, it's got nothing to do with anyone but myself.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Paulatic wrote:

I have my reservations about that John. A no win no fee firm who anyone could approach not just CUK members.
A company who will help you keep your licence in drink/ drugs driving offence https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/driving- ... olicitors/
I personally know of cases S&G said there was no case and https://www.cyclelawscotland.co.uk/ took on those cases and won compensation. Cycle Law Scotland will always be my number one go to.

I'm not quite in Scotland! Your reservations are apt and noted- thanks.
John
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:
Exactly.
That's why I'm a member.

BC don't do it, and they don't give a discount for unwaged/OAP like CUK do.

Plus, they are pro-helmet and any organised rides under their banner insist on a helmet too. I wanted to do a ride at the Eden Project last summer, but they insisted on a helmet, so I told them where to stick their rules and their ride.

If I wear a helmet or not, it's got nothing to do with anyone but myself.

I don't do group rides so helmet to be or not be is my unpressured choice - if you don't count my wife!

Agree about the useful old person discount.
John