When will P Tuohy Leave?

PH
Posts: 8414
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: When will P Tuohy Leave?

Postby PH » 27 Dec 2019, 8:28pm

mjr wrote:70,000 members in 2009

And I think about half of that a decade before.

I was going to write a longer answer, but previous discussions with you about CTC/Cycling UK have left us further entrenched rather than enlightened and I expect we both have better things to do.

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 4864
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: When will P Tuohy Leave?

Postby RickH » 27 Dec 2019, 8:35pm

mjr wrote:... especially the great danger to non-sports cycling for all which is BC?

Arguably they do more for inexperienced cyclists than Cycling UK through the Let's Ride (formerly Sky Ride) programme. Are there many (any) member groups that regularly organise rides of less than 15 miles, sometimes less than 10? No 3 rides & you have to join up either.

PH
Posts: 8414
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: When will P Tuohy Leave?

Postby PH » 27 Dec 2019, 8:54pm

RickH wrote:
mjr wrote:... especially the great danger to non-sports cycling for all which is BC?

Arguably they do more for inexperienced cyclists than Cycling UK through the Let's Ride (formerly Sky Ride) programme. Are there many (any) member groups that regularly organise rides of less than 15 miles, sometimes less than 10? No 3 rides & you have to join up either.

My member group does, then it can organise some of those rides as events open to all, then it can offer three months free introductory membership, then you can pay the subs by the month rather than in an annual lump sum. The reason you have to join CUK is the insurance, if you're on a BC ride that doesn't require membership, you're unlikely to be insured either.
Most of the BC's Lets Ride program is just a listing of other clubs rides, with the rides themselves having nothing to do with BC, I list some of our CTC rides on there. As such they can be very variable, and there's no telling the ability of the organisers. Their big success is the Breeze Groups, something Cycling UK could and should have done.
I'm a member of both, I'd rather see more co operation and less rivalry, I don't consider either to be without their faults, though I consider them both to do some good.

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 13899
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, car park of England

Re: When will P Tuohy Leave?

Postby gaz » 27 Dec 2019, 9:11pm

PH wrote:I'd rather see more co operation and less rivalry, I don't consider either to be without their faults, though I consider them both to do some good.

+1.

Tinpotflowers
Posts: 121
Joined: 31 May 2019, 7:16pm

Re: When will P Tuohy Leave?

Postby Tinpotflowers » 27 Dec 2019, 10:05pm

gaz wrote:
PH wrote:I'd rather see more co operation and less rivalry, I don't consider either to be without their faults, though I consider them both to do some good.

+1.

Why should BC cooperate, they are doing just fine.

User avatar
RickH
Posts: 4864
Joined: 5 Mar 2012, 6:39pm
Location: Horwich, Lancs.

Re: When will P Tuohy Leave?

Postby RickH » 27 Dec 2019, 10:12pm

Tinpotflowers wrote:
gaz wrote:
PH wrote:I'd rather see more co operation and less rivalry, I don't consider either to be without their faults, though I consider them both to do some good.

+1.

Why should BC cooperate, they are doing just fine.

Because they recognise the benefits of cooperation? On their Campaigning page
We're working with our fellow active travel organisations to campaign for change.

Tinpotflowers
Posts: 121
Joined: 31 May 2019, 7:16pm

Re: When will P Tuohy Leave?

Postby Tinpotflowers » 28 Dec 2019, 8:22am

RickH wrote:
Tinpotflowers wrote:
gaz wrote:+1.

Why should BC cooperate, they are doing just fine.

Because they recognise the benefits of cooperation? On their Campaigning page
We're working with our fellow active travel organisations to campaign for change.



But why are people joining BC and not CUK?

millimole
Posts: 514
Joined: 18 Feb 2007, 5:41pm
Location: Leicester

Re: When will P Tuohy Leave?

Postby millimole » 28 Dec 2019, 8:54am

Devil's advocate for a moment :
Why does CTC / CUK need any more than a small core number of members.?
If CUK are all about getting new people on bikes and advocacy for those riding bikes, then the only members it needs are the small number who do training and lead beginners rides, and the limited numbers of committed activists. The rest of us - the chaff who just ride - are just irrelevant.
I would guess the subscription income is minimal compared to the potential from grants, and the subs are there to prop up the grant application process.
A pure focus on member numbers is probably a focus on something that CTC/CUK no longer is interested in.
End of devils advocacy mode!
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Audaxing on my Dawes; Riding to work on a Decathlon Hoprider

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 12322
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Between the woods and the water

Re: When will P Tuohy Leave?

Postby Cyril Haearn » 28 Dec 2019, 9:02am

The motor organisations have millions of supporters/members
I am ashamed to admit I was a member of one such, but only for the recovery service when my vehicle conked out
Nice one Cyrille, nice one son..
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on 49" fixed
We love safety cameras, we love life "1330"

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 48200
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: When will P Tuohy Leave?

Postby Mick F » 28 Dec 2019, 9:52am

Tinpotflowers wrote:But why are people joining BC and not CUK?
It's a better name for one thing.

People can understand the simplicity of the name "British Cycling".
"Cycling UK" doesn't sound snappy and it's not a good name for the organisation at all IMO.

If they were to combine and join forces, the name BC would be the one they would use.
Mick F. Cornwall

Oldjohnw
Posts: 3398
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: When will P Tuohy Leave?

Postby Oldjohnw » 28 Dec 2019, 9:55am

CUK's legal help seems worth the membership.
John

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 4627
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: When will P Tuohy Leave?

Postby Paulatic » 28 Dec 2019, 10:05am

Oldjohnw wrote:CUK's legal help seems worth the membership.

I have my reservations about that John. A no win no fee firm who anyone could approach not just CUK members.
A company who will help you keep your licence in drink/ drugs driving offence https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/driving- ... olicitors/
I personally know of cases S&G said there was no case and https://www.cyclelawscotland.co.uk/ took on those cases and won compensation. Cycle Law Scotland will always be my number one go to.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 48200
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: When will P Tuohy Leave?

Postby Mick F » 28 Dec 2019, 10:09am

Oldjohnw wrote:CUK's legal help seems worth the membership.
Exactly.
That's why I'm a member.

BC don't do it, and they don't give a discount for unwaged/OAP like CUK do.

Plus, they are pro-helmet and any organised rides under their banner insist on a helmet too. I wanted to do a ride at the Eden Project last summer, but they insisted on a helmet, so I told them where to stick their rules and their ride.

If I wear a helmet or not, it's got nothing to do with anyone but myself.
Mick F. Cornwall

Oldjohnw
Posts: 3398
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: When will P Tuohy Leave?

Postby Oldjohnw » 28 Dec 2019, 10:12am

Paulatic wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:CUK's legal help seems worth the membership.

I have my reservations about that John. A no win no fee firm who anyone could approach not just CUK members.
A company who will help you keep your licence in drink/ drugs driving offence https://www.slatergordon.co.uk/driving- ... olicitors/
I personally know of cases S&G said there was no case and https://www.cyclelawscotland.co.uk/ took on those cases and won compensation. Cycle Law Scotland will always be my number one go to.


I'm not quite in Scotland! Your reservations are apt and noted- thanks.
John

Oldjohnw
Posts: 3398
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: When will P Tuohy Leave?

Postby Oldjohnw » 28 Dec 2019, 10:14am

Mick F wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:CUK's legal help seems worth the membership.
Exactly.
That's why I'm a member.

BC don't do it, and they don't give a discount for unwaged/OAP like CUK do.

Plus, they are pro-helmet and any organised rides under their banner insist on a helmet too. I wanted to do a ride at the Eden Project last summer, but they insisted on a helmet, so I told them where to stick their rules and their ride.

If I wear a helmet or not, it's got nothing to do with anyone but myself.


I don't do group rides so helmet to be or not be is my unpressured choice - if you don't count my wife!

Agree about the useful old person discount.
John