Joint membership- why does CUK discriminate ?

geomannie

Joint membership- why does CUK discriminate ?

Postby geomannie » 6 Jun 2017, 2:14pm

My email to CUK membership

Dear Cycling UK Membership

We have just had our renewal reminder for joint membership. Despite my wife's complaints last year, you have again failed to provide my wife with a membership card or even acknowledge that she exists, let alone telling her in the letter that she can apply for a card in her own right.

Under the terms of Cycling UK she is a member in her own right and not an appendage of me. As a charity it is beholden you to treat all your members equally and she should be provided with a membership card in her own name by right, not by special pleading. If other charities can organise this, then why do Cycling UK prefer to discriminate against joint members? Possession of a physical card is not a trivial matter, permitting shopping discounts and voting rights at meetings.

If I may remind you of a poll I conducted last year on the forum viewtopic.php?f=45&t=107808&p=1038380&hilit=membership#p1035871, this was overwhelmingly in favour of automatic joint membership cards.

It would be a shame if we were to leave Cycling UK because of your discriminatory position, but so say that we are unhappy is mild in the least. For the time being we have cancelled our direct debit and wait for your reply. Please cc my wife in your reply.
geomannie

BrianFox

Re: Joint membership- why does CUK discriminate ?

Postby BrianFox » 6 Jun 2017, 2:52pm

Have you spoken to them? I had a similar issue which was sorted in 30 seconds on the phone.

geomannie

Postby geomannie » 6 Jun 2017, 3:02pm

We have not spoken but had an extensive email correspondence last year. This is not an individual problem but a structural problem with the CUK joint membership system. They are aware of it but chose to do nothing to save money by discrimating against a sub-set of members.
geomannie

BrianFox

Postby BrianFox » 6 Jun 2017, 3:11pm

Fair enough. We're joint members, both get cards and have done for many years. No idea why your position is different.

geomannie

Postby geomannie » 6 Jun 2017, 5:11pm

Case closed at least for this year.

I have just had an emailed reply which states that CUK are "looking into ways to send out membership cards for both adults on a Household membership, as these are the people most likely to require individual cards. Unfortunately it requires some quite large upgrades to our membership systems and these take time to implement and then test."

There is no definite time scale but at least CUK are now admitting that there is an issue with not sending out membership cards to both joint members and are investiagting a fix. I appreciate that this can take time.

Thank-you CUK.
geomannie

Lance Dopestrong

Postby Lance Dopestrong » 5 Jul 2017, 9:24pm

On the plus side they must be applauded for their very reasonable membership rate for carers. That's the main thing that keeps me here instead of with the others.
Capitalism - I'm alright, Jack.