August/September Cycle magazine - cover story

JohnW

Re: August/September Cycle magazine - cover story

Post by JohnW »

gaz wrote:................Perhaps Spa feel they get sufficient free advertising from forum recommendations and word of mouth on CTC (not Cycling UK :wink: ) club runs....................

I hope so, and more power to them.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Armorel wrote:Oh yes, I hadn't noticed the European Bike express advert - I don't even think it's a foreign language; it just looks like gibberish. How bizarre. Perhaps the post of proofreader is currently vacant.

As a part-time graphic designer, I'd guess that EBE provided its own print-ready ad as a PDF file, and that EBE's own designer used a font that had a restrictive licence. Cycle Magazine's designers didn't have a licence for that font so it didn't display properly in their software, and nobody noticed until it was too late. I've seen this happen a lot and there are easy ways round it, but only if you're paying attention in the first place.

Proofreaders are a luxury most magazines and newspapers can no longer afford.
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

Armorel wrote:Oh yes, I hadn't noticed the European Bike express advert - I don't even think it's a foreign language; it just looks like gibberish. How bizarre. Perhaps the post of proofreader is currently vacant.

I have just not readed this. It may indicate underlying managerment problems in CUK?
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

The magazine has changed.

It has now become a charity mouthpiece, full of the politically correct stuff which is necessary to comply with the rules for applications for grants of public money.

For that reason, and because so much information about bikes is available online, the magazine is nearing the point when it goes straight into my paper recycling bin along with junk mail.

I remain a CTC member for the insurance, but l am disappointed that a small club for cycle tourers has become a modern, campaigning charity, something which will benefit its employees more than paying members.

But that was the whole point of charity status.
GPC

Post by GPC »

blackbike wrote:The magazine has changed.

It has now become a charity mouthpiece, full of the politically correct stuff which is necessary to comply with the rules for applications for grants of public money.

Can you give us an example of the post charity 'politically correct stuff' v the pre charity non-politically correct stuff from say four five years ago please?

I reckon the current magazine is excellent. When I look at back issues from the 1990s they actually look like something from the 1890s at times. We still have good touring stories, too many in my opinion and decent features. I'd like more campaigning stuff, but our mag was never that good on that anyway. Pre or post charity.
Last edited by Graham on 16 Sep 2017, 4:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quotation corrected.
gaz

Post by gaz »

GPC wrote:Can you give us an example of the post charity 'politically correct stuff' v the pre charity non-politically correct stuff from say four five years ago please?

Best make that at least six or seven years back, the Members chose for the Club to become a Charity in 2012 :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

gaz wrote:......................the Members chose for the Club to become a Charity in 2012 :wink: .

er..................... :roll:
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

GPC wrote:...............I reckon the current magazine is excellent...............

+1