Cycling UK clothing

mjr

Re: Cycling UK clothing

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:
Si wrote:Saw the shirts today....the vintage one is very very nice. Yep, its a bit dear but if you buy stuff like rapha you'd consider it gvfm. But please don't ask me when/where to get them as I wasn't listening at that point....i was too busy longingly stroking the shirt.

Just out of interest, how "dear" is "a bit dear" (I tend to spend around £3 on a few T-shirts each year and they work great.

T-shirts for cycling? Maybe such things will be tolerated here, but on certain other forums, you'd be told that you need high-tech wicking and cotton will be both sweaty and clammy and
:lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

Psamathe wrote:
Si wrote:Saw the shirts today....the vintage one is very very nice. Yep, its a bit dear but if you buy stuff like rapha you'd consider it gvfm. But please don't ask me when/where to get them as I wasn't listening at that point....i was too busy longingly stroking the shirt.

Just out of interest, how "dear" is "a bit dear" (I tend to spend around £3 on a few T-shirts each year and they work great.

Ian

The unbranded jerseys are £60
https://spcycles.com/epages/f16c048c-e9 ... 002%281%29

Value for money is in the eye (Or wallet) of the beholder, but if I were buying the same things each year I'd question if they really were the best value.
Si

Post by Si »

Yep, it's rapha type prices. As I said it's an exceedingiy nice shirt (although taste is also in the eye of the beholder), and appeared to be very high quality. I'm sure there will be plenty sold, but I think it might be a bit on the dear side for me.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

T-shirts for cycling? Maybe such things will be tolerated here, but on certain other forums, you'd be told that you need high-tech wicking and cotton will be both sweaty and clammy and
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/Witch_burning_gummy_bears.jpg
:lol:

Never suffered from the sweaty/clammy, though did once suffer a bit of chafing in very hot weather and had to make use of plasters for the next few weeks!. But at £3 vs £60 I can tolerate that! Plus a T-shirt makes you look more like a real person rather than a MAMIL.

Ian
Si

Post by Si »

Plus a T-shirt makes you look more like a real person rather than a MAMIL.

MAMIC ;-)

Cotton's not the antichrist of cycling clothing that many make out - I wear cotton T shirts a lot as some of my work places issue them....if you are racing and going 'ell fer leather then you'll get sweaty, but if you ride at a steady pace it's generally fine. Osses for courses, if you are popping into town for a loaf and a paper then cotton's yer man, if you re doing l'eroica then you might look at the CUK vintage shirt. If you are doing a club run on your £3k carbon dura ace weekend bike then what's an extra 60 quid?

Although, as someone quipped the other day, it'd be so much easier if CUK had been sponsored by Ali.
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Half page ad in todays cycle on page 69 and another ad on page 76 but the quoted email address cyclinguk.org/shop still doesn't work!!!!
Why didn't they put the prices in the ad? Come on guys this is just poor.
Si

Post by Si »

The other thing i noticed is that in real life the standard shirt looks a lot different to it does in the mag pics. The lower half has a subtle pattern on it that isnt that clear in photohraphs. To my uncultured eye it makes it look a bit retro too...but early 90s retro rather than 50s.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Spotted elsewhere on this forum, the shop is now taking orders: https://shop.cyclinguk.org/cycling-uk-shop

The "shop" section of the website has a different look to the rest, possibly part of the new website project. Eagle eyed Members will note the lack of a Winged Wheel in the page footers.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

gaz wrote:Spotted elsewhere on this forum, the shop is now taking orders: https://shop.cyclinguk.org/cycling-uk-shop

The "shop" section of the website has a different look to the rest, possibly part of the new website project. Eagle eyed Members will note the lack of a Winged Wheel in the page footers.

Is the lack of the wing wheel an error or decision to distance CUK from it historical past?
gaz

Post by gaz »

I think its fair to say that finally launching the Heritage Jersey is a decision to connect Cycling UK to its historical past.

As I posted previously there is a "new website" project underway and the "shop" area is in a different style to the rest of the current website.

I can log in on the "shop" section with my Cycling UK ID and password but if I switch to the Cycling UK website it does not recognise the login, suggesting different cookies are in use. There does not appear to be any link between the "shop" and the current Cycling UK website, the "home" options on the "shop" pages return to the "shop" home page not the current website. The "site map" on the "shop" page does not function.

That suggests to me that to meet growing demand for clothing sales the "shop" section of the "new website" has been urgently released into the wild in advance of the rest of "new website", perhaps in a somewhat rough but ready state.

IMO it is possible that the style of the "new website" remains a work in progress where the Winged Wheel has yet to be installed. IMO it is no less possible that the general layout we see in the "shop" is the finished product and it's a sign that Wheelie will have no prominent place on the "new website". Time will tell.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

gaz wrote:I think its fair to say that finally launching the Heritage Jersey is a decision to connect Cycling UK to its historical past..

I think that's reading an awful lot into it. Like the FA selling 1966-style England football shirts or Bianchi's 'l'Eroica' range, it just means that retro is big at the moment and somebody thought there was a market in selling vaguely vintage-looking CTC jerseys.

Incidentally I own a Torm T1 jersey (which is what the CTC jersey is, with a logo added) and it's a nice top, though the pockets are a bit on the small side. It's a good £30-£40 cheaper than a comparable Rapha jersey, which still makes it the most expensive jersey I've ever bought. Was it worth it? Probably. It's comfortable, robust and - being a bit warmer than the average poly jersey - ideal for the nicer spring/autumn days. There are a lot of Torm wearers in our local group, which I take as a vote of confidence as not all of them have money to burn.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

gaz wrote:.....
That suggests to me that to meet growing demand for clothing sales the "shop" section of the "new website" has been urgently released into the wild in advance of the rest of "new website", perhaps in a somewhat rough but ready state.....

It also does not say whether your selected item(s) (in your basket) are in stock or not. I must confess to hating shopping web sites that do not say if your chosen product is in stock (hate to the point of refusing to buy from them). You confirm the order and you have no idea if it will be shipped today or if they are checking the level of interest before placing an order on their supplier, before starting manufacturing the item(s) ...

Ian
gaz

Post by gaz »

gaz wrote:Time will tell.

The new website appears to have had its launch. Goodbye Wheelie.
welshpaddler

Cycling UK kit

Post by welshpaddler »

It seems to me the kit is far too expensive when compared to other sources. Just saying.