Trustee elections 2017

bertgrower

Trustee elections 2017

Post by bertgrower »

I seen CUK asking for application for trustees, did any on here or you know apply?

Did they get on the list?
Paulatic

Re: Trustee elections 2017

Post by Paulatic »

Hi Bert there was a similar question last year but didn't get any replies :o
viewtopic.php?t=108540
Hoping you've more success than Phil did.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Bazza55

Post by Bazza55 »

As I understand it, there are four places up for grabs. One position is to be filled by 'the establishment' and the other three positions are to be balloted on from a choice of eight. Trouble is, which eight? If there are more than eight applicants who decides on the eight people 'suitable' to be forwarded on for ballot?
In the past, we had regions and the members within those regions voted on each applicant in their area, now everything is centralised we have anonymous short listings. I understand that long serving councilor Jim Brown has not been considered as suitable for short listing, despite 25 years service. There's appreciation for you, let's hope is place isn't taken by someone who has not taken up membership. Ref: AGM 2016 Derby.
gaz

Post by gaz »

AFAICT our current AoA only allow an elected Trustee to be in post for a maximum of nine consecutive years. Ref: AGM 2017 London.
16.3 An Elected Trustee may be elected for three consecutive terms of three years but thereafter may not serve for one term (three years) after which s/he may be re-elected for a future term or terms.

AFAICT Jim Brown's consecutive time on Council/Board of Trustees goes back to at least 2006, it may well be longer.

I have neither knowledge of the prospective candidates nor the selection process adopted but it would appear that Jim was not eligible to stand for re-election.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

gaz wrote:AFAICT our current AoA only allow an elected Trustee to be in post for a maximum of nine consecutive years. . . .

At 2016 AGM is was stated that the nine year limit would start counting from Jan 2017
Last edited by bertgrower on 6 Sep 2017, 10:35am, edited 1 time in total.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Thank you.

I don't think that's been reported previously, my apologies if I've missed it either somewhere on these boards or on the main website.
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

gaz wrote:Thank you.

I don't think that's been reported previously, my apologies if I've missed it either somewhere on these boards or on the main website.

It was not report anywhere as far as I know.

I expect it will be a moving feast, like the agree understanding any member will be permit to stand for election.
yann

Post by yann »

Hi, I applied- and got a 'phone call to say i was not selected- usual bland rejection - large field, lots of good candidates, but when asked for specific points all i got was 8 candidates for 3 posts(so presumeably one being held back for a compliant yes-person?
fionat

Post by fionat »

I considered applying and got as far as putting a CV together, but got busy with work and didn't complete the process. I'll give it a go next year.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Bert - don't waste your time and effort.

Now, this is just my take, but if it's all not signed, sealed and delivered before the process started then I'd be very surprised. You'll not win - take a hint from history - you'd know if you were a chosen one. You'll simply finish up frustrated, disappointed and upset. As I say, that's just my take and I'd honestly prefer to be wrong.

I've posted along this line before - if we care at all, then I'd suggest getting involved with a local Member Group, and support those elements that you feel you can support - local campaigning is one thing that needs support.

Ride on Bert, and may it never rain on your rides.
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

Base upon the attached image of a letter from 1928. Should the CUK board of trustee be inderpendent from the membership. The average member will not have the knowledge of any poltental trustee candidate. Let the board of trustee decide who should be trustee and could be guided by the CEO.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1505567180768.jpg
Steady rider

Cycling UK Elections concerns

Post by Steady rider »

Reading the information provided on candidates I just wonder what in the world happened to fair elections.

From what I gather, they selected 8 candidates from a larger group, they have 4 vacancies, they add reasons to vote for the four they prefer.

Why bother to have elections on this basis, just selected the four they prefer and save quite a lot of money.
mjr

Cycling UK Elections concerns

Post by mjr »

What have they done now? Are there board-recommended candidates now?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

JohnW wrote:Now, this is just my take, but if it's all not signed, sealed and delivered before the process started then I'd be very surprised. You'll not win - take a hint from history - you'd know if you were a chosen one. You'll simply finish up frustrated, disappointed and upset. As I say, that's just my take and I'd honestly prefer to be wrong.

It seems you're not wrong. This year's ballot papers in Cycle have 8 blessed candidates for 4 positions - and recommendations from the powers that be which 4 members should vote for! Now, some countries like North Korea, China and Cuba have committees/commissions deciding who can be on the ballot paper, but I don't think any of them then tell voters which candidates to vote for, do they?

And another thread in this forum discussing the ballot has currently been removed.

JohnW wrote:I've posted along this line before - if we care at all, then I'd suggest getting involved with a local Member Group, and support those elements that you feel you can support - local campaigning is one thing that needs support.

I'd join a cycling campaign group if you want to support local campaigning. It depends where you are, but I think supporting a Member Group may not have much to do with campaigning and is likely to be taken as implicit support of the current leadership, isn't it?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

mjr wrote:And another thread in this forum discussing the ballot has currently been removed.

It has since been merged into this one.