Octorber Cycle Mag - Has anybody got theirs yet?

bertgrower

Octorber Cycle Mag - Has anybody got theirs yet?

Post by bertgrower »

?
RickH

Re: Octorber Cycle Mag - Has anybody got theirs yet?

Post by RickH »

Mine arrived today :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

RickH wrote:Mine arrived today :D

Who is up for election to the board of trustees?

Any chance to post the names etc
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Mine has just now - this very moment - dropped through our letterbox. I note the change in envelope type.
PH

Post by PH »

JohnW wrote: I note the change in envelope type.

Yes - and my address didn't quite line up with the window in it, so someone at RM has had top open it!
At a glance it looks like another good issue, looking forward to reading it.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

PH wrote:
JohnW wrote: I note the change in envelope type.

Yes - and my address didn't quite line up with the window in it, so someone at RM has had top open it!
At a glance it looks like another good issue, looking forward to reading it.

Ah PH - my envelope has also been torn where my address didn't line up with the window in the envelope. Honestly, someone has really dropped one - incompatible components - it's the story of 21st Century bike parts manufacturers!!!!!!!. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - are they Shimano envelopes?

it's a personal matter - some issues are better than others for me, I usually read/like/enjoy/benefit from 'Cycle' but I've not had time to compare this issue with the previous............I do find decreasing relevance to day-to-day utility cycling, but to be fair there is a lot more pose on bike than there used to be. I do think it's time that CUK made apologetic overtures to Spa, and we could have a return of their very useful advert.

Someone was asking who was "up for election to the board of trustees" - well they're all there with their 'technicolour' photos. I'm not sure about posting names on the Forum - all members will have the details, and it's nothing to do with those on the forum who are not CUK members, is it?
meic

Post by meic »

and it's nothing to do with those on the forum who are not CUK members, is it?

What if they were intending joining, depending on who gets elected?
Cycling Uk isnt a secret society is it.

Declaration of dis-interest: I am not a FULL CUK member so dont get the magazine but I am an affiliated member so may be affected by the outcome. I dont give a toss who gets elected and who doesnt and the names would mean little to me anyway.
Yma o Hyd
Si

Post by Si »

I am not a FULL CUK member so dont get the magazine but I am an affiliated member

If you are in an affiliated group then a nominated person within that group should receive a magazine that they are meant to pass around everyone in the group. Which is why I get two, and I don't know which one is mine and which is the group's as I can't see the top line of the address :lol:
meic

Post by meic »

Considering the number of members and the geographic diversity of them, I dont think the magazine would get around them in time. That is assuming that none of the members waste any valuable transit time by actually reading it. :mrgreen:
Yma o Hyd
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Ah - so it's not about the magazine.................is it?
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Well, one of them is me; make of that what you will. Am I allowed to canvass here? Candidates aren't given many words to put their case forward in the magazine.

As I cycled down the street just now, one of my neighbours called out "We've just voted for you!" So that's two, at least. :-)
gaz

Re: October Cycle Mag - Has anybody got theirs yet?

Post by gaz »

AFAIK candidates are free to distribute any additional electoral information that they wish, wherever they see fit. Candidates are unable to use Cycling UK's member database, e-mail lists, etc to do so.

Good luck.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

AndyK wrote:Well, one of them is me; make of that what you will. Am I allowed to canvass here? Candidates aren't given many words to put their case forward in the magazine.

As I cycled down the street just now, one of my neighbours called out "We've just voted for you!" So that's two, at least. :-)

OK Andy - I'd like to vote for you :D :D :D .

Clearly you're sufficiently interested to read the forum; you're the longest standing member on the list and I'd like to vote for you. Your CV suggests that cycling is in your bones and part of your life (is that why the 'committee' don't endorse your candidature?) but I can't submit my vote unless I submit four votes - the system won't let me!!!!!!!(using e-mail voting). I can find two other candidates that I can happily vote for, but in order to vote at all I'm forced to place at least one vote for someone I don't support.

The committee have already endorsed four candidates, so in my own mind it's probably a foregone conclusion anyway..............and you being a cyclist in the full sense of the word and a longstanding member, I question whether you stand a chance.

In all conscience, I can only find three candidates that I could personally support with my vote (the other two are the longest standing members).

I've not yet voted actually - my cynical mind sees voting as a waste of time anyway :cry: :cry: :cry: , because I suspect that the hierarchy have already decide who they want.

I really don't like this restriction................is it actually legal? - does anyone know? Does anyone know how to find out? What does everyone else think?
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

Please not one candidate had much longer endorsement than the others. I do wonder who was on the nonminations committee and if CEO influence the outcome. Have we seen Dan in action at the AGM how do you rate his performance?
gaz

Re: October Cycle Mag - Has anybody got theirs yet?

Post by gaz »

bertgrower wrote:I do wonder who was on the nonminations committee ...

Why wonder when you can look it up?

There were fresh appointments this year, minutes of the Jan 2017 Board Meeting (FYI minutes posted on the website 26/9/17).
... Dan Howard agreed to take himself off the Nomination Committee and it was agreed that Ian McCabe and Jaki Lowe as Chair would join the Committee. Dan Howard as Chair remains an ex-officio member of the committee.

Since they "join" the NC you then need to know who was already on the NC.
Board Minutes July 2016
Dan Howard to Chair for continuity, Welna Bowden and David Cox

David Cox has left the board. AIUI that means the current NC consists of Jaki Lowe, Ian McCabe and Welna Bowden with Dan Howard as an ex-officio member by virtue of his position as Chair of the Board of Trustees.
Last edited by gaz on 3 Oct 2017, 9:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade