CTC AGM possible motions for 2018

Steady rider

Re: CTC AGM possible motions for 2018

Post by Steady rider »

Then you as the ‘proposer’ of the motion just need the support of one other member to be the ‘seconder’ of your proposed motion. Finally, we’ll need you to join us at our AGM on 12 May (venue to be confirmed) to put your motion forward for debate and a vote.

Motions need to be submitted by 1 Feb, but members do not know where the AGM will be. They are asked to attend, so they may have in mind a motion, need a seconder, all needs doing before 1 Feb but not knowing where they are being asked to travel to. Last year I travelled to London, stayed overnight, put the motions allowed, about 30 or fewer members attended, excluding Council and Staff. Most of the voting had already been done before the meeting.

A member from Cornwall and an AGM in Durham would entail a long journey. Is it needed asking members to attend? or if so should travel expenses be provided? Obviously better to attend and speak on a motion but not really required, most members will not know what is said.
Finally, we’ll need you to join us at our AGM on 12 May (venue to be confirmed) to put your motion forward for debate and a vote

Not a requirement in the Articles, a made up rule. In all the requirement may deter motions being submitted, perhaps as part of the motions a mention of' 'member intends to speak at the AGM' indicating this motion is likely to have the member attend.

In any case the venue should be sorted no later than early October.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Steady rider wrote:Not a requirement in the Articles, a made up rule.

The governance of the Club in order of prevalance is by Legislation, our Articles of Association and our "made up" rules. The Articles of Association empower our Trustees (and our Councillors before them) to "make up" our rules.

Perhaps in this age of electronic voting it is time to ask the Trustees to review the requirement and explain why they feel it remains relevant.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

I suppose they could say;
We would like you to join us at the AGM to explain or answer any questions from those attending.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Last year I travelled to London, stayed overnight, put the motions allowed, about 30 or fewer members attended, excluding Council and Staff.

With 65000 members, to have so few attend an AGM, approximately one in 2166 members, really means the AGM does not hold much interest perhaps. It may be worth having the AGM as an attachment to a major cycling rally, say the evening before the rally. Perhaps close by or on site. This may add a bit more interest to the rally and Council / Staff members could see how the rally went and have direct connections?
gaz

Post by gaz »

Steady rider wrote:With 65000 members, to have so few attend an AGM, approximately one in 2166 members, really means the AGM does not hold much interest perhaps.

The AGM holds interest for many more Members than the number present in the room. The voting turnout at the 2017 AGM was approxiamtely one in 25 Members, participation by proxy is no less valid than participation in person.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Yes the basic figures seem OK for technically correct. Attending takes more effort than registration of votes.

Would cyclists prefer to have the AGM attached in some way to a major rally, probably for the Friday evening. It may be worth a try and see any feedback, numbers attending, see if extra attended the rally. My guess would be for 50+ to attend. It could be put as a motion to get some feedback. It could be framed as a AGM Rally weekend and use different locations in time. People travelling would have the benefit of rides plus AGM. If the suggestions gains a seconder HQ feedback may support or not giving it a try.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

gaz wrote:
Steady rider wrote:With 65000 members, to have so few attend an AGM, approximately one in 2166 members, really means the AGM does not hold much interest perhaps.

The AGM holds interest for many more Members than the number present in the room. The voting turnout at the 2017 AGM was approximately one in 25 Members, participation by proxy is no less valid than participation in person.

I'm sorry to take issue with what you say gaz, but events have served to convince me that the chair having the right to use the votes of others (i.e. proxy votes) is not valid ethically, although it will be valid in law.

EDIT - Words in italics replace previous wording in response to PH's subsequent post.
Last edited by JohnW on 2 Jan 2018, 3:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

I think you are correct JohnW.
Ethereally a system should truly reflect opinions in the vote cast and should provide equality in presentation of points of view and in the voting process. The current system in practice favours the Chair and
is not valid ethically
, as pointed out.

Others may argue it is the standard system in many ways and legally acceptable.

Council could try a change, expressing an opinion on each motion but not using a Chair's vote, listing available members to act as proxies. Members to act as proxies could include any member submitting or seconding a motion together with trustees or others who intend to attend the AGM. Ethically those attending would vote after hearing the points put forward. This may avoid a large block group to one person and give a direct choice to voters to tick an alternative proxy, other than the Chair. The details would need shorting out.
PH

Post by PH »

JohnW wrote:I'm sorry to take issue with what you say gaz, but events have served to convince me that giving the chair your proxy vote is not valid ethically, although it will be valid in law.

New year, same drum.
One member, one vote. Objecting to the way any member chooses to use their vote and the idea that they don't know what they're doing is rude and lacks respect.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

[b][/b]
PH wrote:
JohnW wrote:I'm sorry to take issue with what you say gaz, but events have served to convince me that giving the chair your proxy vote is not valid ethically, although it will be valid in law.

New year, same drum.
One member, one vote. Objecting to the way any member chooses to use their vote and the idea that they don't know what they're doing is rude and lacks respect.

I did not raise the matter.

If you'll do me the courtesy of reading my post, you'll see that I wrote : ".............events have served to convince me ............" - that's MY conviction and MY perception. Nothing in my post attempted to change either your conviction and perception, nor anyone else's. I have as much right to my conviction and perception as you have to suggest that I'm rude and disrespectful for holding them.

I concede that in saying : "............giving the chair your proxy vote is not valid ethically..............." reads as being personal, which is not what I meant - it's the system of allowing the chair to use someone else's vote to support his own policy which is, to me, flawed.

If I have personally insulted anyone then I apologise unreservedly - it is most assuredly not what I meant. I accept that I should choose my words more carefully. I still believe, however, that if the chair could exercise only his own one vote then we'd probably not be where we are.

I think that I'm not alone in this.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

I think a proportion of CTC members have concerns about how things have gone over the last 5 years.

For this years AGM a motion I have in mind is for the CTC to provide a bi-annual road safety 'Bikesafe' conference. This would allow for technical papers on topics and presentation of information, together with discussions of how best to improve conditions for cycling, and for members to meet each other and networking ideas. I think RTR reps should have free access. This could be in addition to one day events they already provide. A publication of 'Bikesafe' conference papers could be published every two years. Would this be worthwhile?

'edit - correction, see later post by Gaz
Biennial' should have been used and not bi-annual, Biennial being every two years
Last edited by Steady rider on 7 Jan 2018, 1:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Steady rider wrote:...............For this years AGM a motion I have in mind is for the CTC to provide a bi-annual road safety 'Bikesafe' conference. This would allow for technical papers on topics and presentation of information, together with discussions of how best to improve conditions for cycling, and for members to meet each other and networking ideas. I think RTR reps should have free access. This could be in addition to one day events they already provide. A publication of 'Bikesafe' conference papers could be published every two years. Would this be worthwhile?

Personally, I think that anything along those lines would be good - there are dangerous drivers and very silly cyclists out there and local authorities seem to be concentrating less and less on cycle training (probably due to gov't spending cuts) and for all their rhetoric, authorities don't give much of a toss for cyclists lives. I think any help that RTR officers could be offered (ours is brilliant) would be very appropriate. Perhaps a separate, additional thread for this would be appropriate.

Good thought SR.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Thanks JohnW, a motion could read;

The CTC provides (either alone or with others) a biennial (every two years) road safety 'Bikesafe' conference.

Reason:
This would allow for technical papers on topics and presentation of information, together with discussions of how best to improve conditions for cycling, and for members to meet each other and networking ideas. Right To Ride representatives should have free access. This could be in addition to one day events they already provide. A publication of 'Bikesafe' conference papers could be published every two years. This would promote cycling related research and highlight issues where improvements could be made.

Where the AGM will be we should know this month, if fairly local I could attend. If not local, perhaps a RTR rep in the area could put the motion.

Edited for replacement of bi-annual to biennial
Last edited by Steady rider on 7 Jan 2018, 1:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Steady rider wrote:Thanks JohnW, a motion could read;

The CTC provides (either alone or with others) a bi-annual road safety 'Bikesafe' conference.

Reason:
This would allow for technical papers on topics and presentation of information, together with discussions of how best to improve conditions for cycling, and for members to meet each other and networking ideas. Right To Ride representatives should have free access. This could be in addition to one day events they already provide. A publication of 'Bikesafe' conference papers could be published every two years. This would promote cycling related research and highlight issues where improvements could be made.

Where the AGM will be we should know this month, if fairly local I could attend. If not local, perhaps a RTR rep in the area could put the motion.

That's good SR - needs expanding a bit, but if that could happen, and be nationally recognised, you'd deserve a knighthood!

"Bikesafe" could have some amazing depths, and as I've said above, a thread of it's own. I've expressed the view previously that if CUK has a meaningful role in cyclists' lives it has to be in campaigning for genuine safety and respect for cyclists from everyone concerned with roads; from politicians, highway designers, lawmakers down through drivers to the poor folk who scrape remains up off the road surface. Valhalla must surely include an ethos where cyclists are considered as valid human beings whose lives matter.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

https://www.loc.gov/exhibits/creating-t ... index.html (no thanks to a title for me)

It can be quite useful to have a number of detailed reports on cycling in one publication and research could advance in a 2 year period. Velo City this year is in Rio de Janeiro, so not many cyclists from the UK may attend due to costs. A number of universities and individuals could provide research suitable for including in a 'Bikesafe' conference. RTR reps and CTC staff could have a session to cover many of the issues they face in trying to advance cycling. Problems raised at one conference may be subject to research to find the best solutions for publication at the next conference.