Requirement for four votes in trustee elections

cyclome2

Requirement for four votes in trustee elections

Post by cyclome2 »

The voting papers say you must use all of your votes. Will my vote be disqualified, if I choose fewer candiates?
bertgrower

Re: Requirement for four votes in trustee elections

Post by bertgrower »

It does not use the word MUST. So IMHO

It poor drafting
And you dont need to use 4
cyclome2

Post by cyclome2 »

My version does say "must": point 2 under "how to vote" on the paper voting form that came with the mag.. Normally "must" means "must" but it might not with CUK.
cyclome2

Post by cyclome2 »

I've just had the following reply from CTC HQ:

"The vote will only be valid if you vote for four candidates, yes. It will be invalid if you vote for less (sic) than four people."
meic

Post by meic »

You have to hand it to them.
They pre-select the candidates and you have to vote for them, or not at all. :mrgreen:
Yma o Hyd
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

You could put your non wanted votes into an other colium
cyclome2

Post by cyclome2 »

That would probably invalidate it. I've decided on my 4, though I would have probably voted for fewer had I been allowed to. Voting for my less favoured candidates could push my most favoured candidates out!
DrJohnJ

Post by DrJohnJ »

I've been having an ongoing exchange of emails with CyclingUK which hasn't been well received.

There are 4 vacancies & you have 4 votes. I have been told that you have to use all 4 votes or none of your votes will count!

I have & will continue to challenge this as I believe it is undemocratic. Four of the candidates 'meet the specification' set whilst the others don't. However, if I only want to endorse 3, for example, I have to cast my final vote for any to be counted!

According to Sue Cherry, with whom I've be swopping emails "The process for voting in any election are not contained in our constitution, rules and administration processes relating to elections are agreed by the appropriate committee. This procedure has not been changed from other years."

I have asked her to escalate the matter!
gaz

Post by gaz »

Brother Mallinder: "The Book of Trustee Voting, Chapter 2, verses 16–21."

"First shalt thou take out thy pen, then shalt thou vote for four, no more, no less. Four shall be the votes thou shalt cast, and the number of the voting shall be four. Five shalt thou not vote, neither vote thou three, excepting that thou then proceed to four. Six is right out. Once the number four, being the fourth number, be reached, then putest thou thy voting form in thy envelope, and post it."

IGMC
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

DrJohnJ wrote:I've been having an ongoing exchange of emails with CyclingUK which hasn't been well received.

There are 4 vacancies & you have 4 votes. I have been told that you have to use all 4 votes or none of your votes will count!

I have & will continue to challenge this as I believe it is undemocratic. Four of the candidates 'meet the specification' set whilst the others don't. However, if I only want to endorse 3, for example, I have to cast my final vote for any to be counted!

According to Sue Cherry, with whom I've be swopping emails "The process for voting in any election are not contained in our constitution, rules and administration processes relating to elections are agreed by the appropriate committee. This procedure has not been changed from other years."

I have asked her to escalate the matter!

You state that this election process was undemocractic, where does it say on the Cycling UK website or statements made that CUK is democractic?

The membership has given their rights to influence the direction of CUK away. The board of trustee know what is needed they have greater insight and abilities than the normal member they just need you to rubber stamp their choices.
gaz

Post by gaz »

DrJohnJ wrote:... According to Sue Cherry, with whom I've be swopping emails "The process for voting in any election are not contained in our constitution, rules and administration processes relating to elections are agreed by the appropriate committee. This procedure has not been changed from other years."

The election process changed following Motion 5 of the 2016 AGM which approved the broad approach outlined in the governance review.

Sue Cherry says "this procedure has not changed from other years", with such fundamental changes it might be better to restrict "other years" to just the 2016 Trustee elections.
2016 Voting Documents.
2016.png
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

I am sure in so many years time they will catch onto the idea of treating members will respect and fairness, or at least I hope they do.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Steady rider wrote:I am sure in so many years time they will catch onto the idea of treating members will respect and fairness, or at least I hope they do.

I doubt that.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

bertgrower wrote:It does not use the word MUST. So IMHO

It poor drafting
And you dont need to use 4

The voting paper does indeed say "you must use all of your votes" at least twice on the voting paper, and the on-line voting site will not accept my vote because I haven't voted for four candidates - it will not accept three.

Again I ask - is this legal - does anyone know?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

bertgrower wrote:You could put your non wanted votes into an other colium

You can stick 'em where you want, but none of your votes will then be counted.