Cycle magazine not in plastic please.

SA_SA_SA

Re: Cycle magazine not in plastic please.

Post by SA_SA_SA »

The National Trust magazine has started coming in compostable bags (simply put in appropriate domestic brown bin).

A cherry tree makes lots of blossom (low (energy) cost manufacture) then throws them on the ground to degrade for next year.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

I'm all for saving the planet and re-cycling but I have just received a magazine through the post that had no packaging to protect it and it looks decidedly second hand. If I saw it on the shelves of WHS I'd have picked another copy. It was a dry, sunny morning so I dread to think what state it would have been in if it had been pouring down. I have had some catalogues delivered via the post without protective covers and on wet days they are all but ruined.

If I am paying to receive something I expect it to arrive unscathed.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Gazette is still being sent in plastic :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The Gazette is still being sent in plastic :(

The Friends of The National Railway Museum magazine is sent in brown paper (quite robust) envelopes and has been for as long as I've been a member, and I don't remember any weather damage ever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

JohnW wrote:

The Friends of The National Railway Museum magazine is sent in brown paper (quite robust) envelopes and has been for as long as I've been a member, and I don't remember any weather damage ever.

Plus One for the NRM, I nearly got a job there once, in the archive, sorting railway photos, under Captain Kirk, I mean David Jenkinson ('Rails in the Fells')
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
JohnW wrote:

Plus One for the NRM, I nearly got a job there once, in the archive, sorting railway photos, under Captain Kirk, I mean David Jenkinson ('Rails in the Fells')

Ah - I knew David Jenkinson. I really envied his knowledge and railway modelling skills. :D :D :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

JohnW wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
JohnW wrote:

Ah - I knew David Jenkinson. I really envied his knowledge and railway modelling skills. :D :D :D

And the S&C, there was a suggestion the Midland planned it as a bluff to get running rights on the LNWR, the bluff failed and the line had to be built through the wilderness, +1
mjr

Post by mjr »

SA_SA_SA wrote:The National Trust magazine has started coming in compostable bags (simply put in appropriate domestic brown bin).

Brown bin is garden waste. Shouldn't a compostable bag go into the grey food waste bin?

;-) Maybe your food bin is brown. We've a postcode lottery of recycling systems and mixed messages about what can go in each bin in this country. Locally, councils have been complaining about getting plastic bags in the green bins - but I suspect that was because they announced that you could put regular plastic bags in the food bins, which was always likely to confuse some people into thinking they could leave the recyclables in bags again, like we used to when we had the previous green boxes before the green bins. It seems that even the borough council was confused, tagging bins with out-of-date information! What chance do ordinary people have of keeping track of this? We need a simple colour-coded or symbol-coded national system, with the bins being stamped clearly with the symbols/colours for what can go in there, matching the symbols/colours on packaging and various sorts of black/white/food bin bags.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
RickH

Post by RickH »

For the last few months the Camping & Caravanning Club magazine has had a compostable wrapper made of potato starch (made from potato waste).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Not in plastic and not in my name ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCpFQA18Go4

Some one set up a poll ... Who has internet access to this forum ?....oops .. that will be 100%

I love to feel a magazine in my hands, to hold it, to turn the pages ... but "reality check" ... time for the PDF to take over ....

NOT IN PLASTIC .. AND NOT IN MY NAME.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

tatanab wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:When will be the last, the very last [P Larkin]... printed mag?

It could be mailed as a pdf, anyone who wanted could print it (or just the interesting bits)

How many members do not have e-mail? I bet there are some!

A newspaper article tells us that people are beginning to reject e-readers and rediscovering the tactile experience of books. Like many, if reading a long article I much prefer a hard copy. It is all very well saying you can print bits you want to read, but that too goes against the ideals of a paperless future.

I dislike the modern thinking that assumes I have facilities such as printer, digital camera, and worst of all the plethora of cycling "aids" that assume I have a smartphone.

I have always been half way

Some books are just for reading as entertainment, and are fine on a kindle or phone / tablet

Other books just would not seem right if not in a solid form
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

mjr wrote:
SA_SA_SA wrote:The National Trust magazine has started coming in compostable bags (simply put in appropriate domestic brown bin).

Brown bin is garden waste. Shouldn't a compostable bag go into the grey food waste bin?

;-) Maybe your food bin is brown.

Well yes, it is. And compostable bags from the matching kitchen caddys are expected to be put in it....
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Cunobelin wrote:Some .........books just would not seem right if not in a solid form

+1 to that.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

JohnW wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Some .........books just would not seem right if not in a solid form

+1 to that.

Which are ok digital?* I only have real books, there are enough of them around to see us out, just wondering about subscribing to my favourite journal on paper, the circulation is falling, I want to help

* my answer: telephone books (did like browsing them mind, still got some)
Likewise the big bible in church
RickH

Post by RickH »

SA_SA_SA wrote:
mjr wrote:

;-) Maybe your food bin is brown.

Well yes, it is. And compostable bags from the matching kitchen caddys are expected to be put in it....

Which presumes you have a brown bin & a kitchen caddy. Our bins are burgundy (for bottles & cans), beige (for paper) & grey (for anything else). Some folk have a green bin for garden waste, but the lorry is too big to get to our part of the world so we don't get one (we compost stuff ourselves instead).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.