Trustee elections 2018

AndyK

Re: Trustee elections 2018

Post by AndyK »

Steady rider wrote:It is speculation but it seems to me the idea of having charity status was to gain extra funds but other substantial changes were added.
One major change was probably sufficient and regain stability. Changing the format of the board and trade name made for added complications. A lot seems to have stemmed from the legal advice/charity advice. In some ways it does not seem quite the same as being in a 'cycling club'. At a local level it appears just the same.

Having become a charity, the CTC had to change the format of the board to some extent. The old Councillors were there to protect the interests of the members. Trustees are there to protect the public interest above all else, and are bound by a whole raft of legal restrictions which didn't apply before.

When deciding how to vote, it's important to bear in mind that you're voting for someone who will act - must act - in the interests of the charity and its beneficiaries first and foremost, not in your own interests. (Luckily those interests will often be the same in the long run.)

You might say that this should have been explained more clearly to members before they voted to convert to a charity. I couldn't possibly comment. But we are a charity and that requires a different way of looking at the priorities.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

The CTC has been a membership based organisation for more than 100 years and the Articles refers to members.
The agreed Objects (2012) state;

1.7 The objects for which the Club is established (the Objects) are to:
........1.7.1 promote community participation in healthy recreation by promoting the amateur sport of
cycling, cycle touring and associated amateur sports;
........1.7.2 preserve and protect the health and safety of the public by encouraging and facilitating cycling
and the safety of cyclists;
........1.7.3 advance education by whatever means the trustees think fit, including the provision of cycling,
training and educational activities related to cycling;
........1.7.4 promote the conservation and protection of the environment.

By providing membership with insurance, rides open to all members, a magazine with educational parts and professional advice and legal advice in some circumstances, this helps to deliver all parts of the 'objects'. Acting in both the public and members interests best serves the overall aims of the charity. They are manually beneficial to the aims of the charity, to have a strong membership base with suitable member benefits. This serves the best interests of the charity.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Absolutely - I wouldn't disagree with any of that, but the fact remains that the trustees of a charity have different legal obligations and the organisation has to have different priorities.

I'm oversimplifying, but as a club and private company, the old CTC could choose to put members first, public benefit second - or indeed nowhere. As a charity, public benefit has to come first and everything has to be justified in that context; the trustees are responsible for making sure that happens.

As I said, luckily there's plenty of overlap, which is why the pre-charity CTC already had a long tradition of campaigning, encouraging people to take up cycling, putting on events for non-members, etc. etc. even though there might not be any immediate, direct benefit to members. It's always followed the line that more people cycling for transport or pleasure should translate into a thriving membership.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Act in your charity’s best interests
seems to be one legal requirement. I speculated that having a good membership base leads to supporting the charity. It could follow that membership benefit should be appropriate. 'Members' are from the public who are specifically interested in cycling.

I do not see an immediate problem in acting both in the public interest and also members interest, they seem to be the same for most circumstances, improved safety, looking after the needs of cycling, promoting cycling etc. There are issues where promoting the public interest may not be what members could be looking for and balancing the issues so the end result is serving the best interest of the charity may require good judgement.

Good luck to who ever is elected.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Results at https://www.cyclinguk.org/about/cycling ... o-on-board for anyone who's interested. Congratulations to the successful candidates.