Halfords Cycling UK Discount

javatime

Halfords Cycling UK Discount

Post by javatime »

The UKcycling website says ...

Now you need ukcycling membership card and discount voucher .pdf

"Promotional voucher code can be viewed at the bottom of this page when logged in and will be updated on the first of each month. You can either show this page on your phone or as a printout."

But I have logged on to the Membership website and it is not there for me ? Any suggestions or is this the same for everyone ?

(A copy of the code or .pdf would be appreciated - maybe by Private Message)
Last edited by Graham on 26 May 2020, 10:29am, edited 1 time in total.
gaz

Re: Does anyone know ..Halfords October 10% Discount voucher code ?

Post by gaz »

PDF file at the bottom of the relevant page. Log in to Cycling UK website before following this link
meic

Re: Does anyone know ..Halfords October 10% Discounf voucher code ?

Post by meic »

A long standing problem with me. I have even left Cycling UK over it and their refusal to deal with it.

If I try and log in with my original email address I get my old membership number and cant access because I am not paid up.
When I rejoin with an new email address because the original one is so old that it is receive only and attached to the old number (hence already taken) it just automatically replaces my new email address with the old one after I join.

I have tried phoning membership years ago but it got nowhere, they promised to remove previous email addresses but didnt because they continue to email me on them regularly. Having tried this several times I have lost track of all the email addresses they now keep for me.
Not even threatening to leave and following through with it has had any affect on all of this.
Yma o Hyd
javatime

Post by javatime »

Thanks Gaz, but I have followed your instructions and there is still no pdf file at the bottom of the page.!
gaz

Post by gaz »

Certainly should be.
Untitled.png

Try refreshing the page in your browser, it may be defaulting to a cached version. If that fails try a different browser.
javatime

Post by javatime »

Thanks Gaz again, have pm d you !
Antbrewer

Halfords discount?

Post by Antbrewer »

This may or may not be to place to voice this issue?

I went into our local Halfords on Saturday to buy a new inner tube for my wife's bike. Produced my CTC card and the girl picked up the 3 or 4 sheets with the various bar codes and looked for 'Cycling UK' code to scan. Could not find it. Her colleague came over and said that wasn't the method now for the discount. The customer either had to download an app or print out a voucher to obtain a discount. I said this was nonsense and never had this trouble before. He said in response that the management had decided to do it this way as there had been a lot of abuse of the system by the staff.
Is this now the norm or just our store in Solihull I wonder?

Pleased to hear other's comment on this one please.

Anthony
mjr

Re: Halfords discount?

Post by mjr »

Antbrewer wrote:The customer either had to download an app or print out a voucher to obtain a discount. I said this was nonsense and never had this trouble before. He said in response that the management had decided to do it this way as there had been a lot of abuse of the system by the staff.
Is this now the norm or just our store in Solihull I wonder?

To summarise the above link: you do now have to download a voucher somehow if you want to continue getting a discount buying your bike parts from a car spares chain.

If the problem was staff abuse, it shouldn't have been difficult to read the number off the card (do they have barcodes or similar?) rather than this strange once-a-month voucher download process. It feels to me like that might not be the only reason.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote:If the problem was staff abuse, it shouldn't have been difficult to read the number off the card (do they have barcodes or similar?) rather than this strange once-a-month voucher download process. It feels to me like that might not be the only reason.

Yes, does make it a little more awkward and I can't think what the purpose was, though note it's also applied to British Cycling discount. Not sure of staff abuse, if it was an issue it'll only reduce it till the first time each month the discount is used, recording the membership number would have been better if it needed a two stage process though it isn't barcoded.
if you want to continue getting a discount buying your bike parts from a car spares chain.

I know you don't like them, but you might at least keep it factual, they've been a cycle supplier longer than they've dealt in car parts and it's always been an integral part of the business, even if it isn't the largest part.
RickH

Post by RickH »

The monthly discount code/voucher seems to becoming more common. BC has had a monthly code for Chain Reaction for a number of years & they now have the same for Evans & Halfords (BC Halfords discount used to be useable on anything not just cycling & included sale stuff - I've bought car stuff in the sales & still got the BC 10% discount in the past).

Maybe it wasn't staff abuse as much as people using out-of-date membership cards to claim a discount & staff not being vigilant enough in checking. Now you have to have a valid membership to get the code.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:
mjr wrote:if you want to continue getting a discount buying your bike parts from a car spares chain.

I know you don't like them, but you might at least keep it factual, they've been a cycle supplier longer than they've dealt in car parts and it's always been an integral part of the business, even if it isn't the largest part.

Not seeing anything not factual in what I wrote - as you note, bike parts are a secondary concern for them.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
sisavedbygrace

Post by sisavedbygrace »

At the risk of sounding stupid, I too am unable to see the code, I've tried everything log in and out to no avail :)
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Never had any issues with British Cyclings' 10% off :wink:
No voucher needed just present card :mrgreen:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

100%JR wrote:Never had any issues with British Cyclings' 10% off :wink:
No voucher needed just present card :mrgreen:

Looks like you do now :) https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membe ... -discounts
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

Re... my initial post on this voucher business in Halfords. I stand corrected ( not for the first time in my life I must say) as I now understand this different way of obtaining the discount in this shop. A bit of a palaver but always worth it if spending a certain amount of money.
Anthony