Commuted membership (5 yrs for 4)?

Bmblbzzz

Re: Commuted membership (5 yrs for 4)?

Post by Bmblbzzz »

thirdcrank wrote:
mjr wrote:Why is this offer only open for commuters?

Assuming that's a serious question, I think it refers to the original meaning of commute = reduce. The extension of the word to daily travel to work is, AIUI, an American usage in that what we'd call a season ticket, is a commuted fare. People buying season tickets are commuters and eventually, all daily travellers became commuters, whether season ticket holders or not.

I'm not sure that's correct. I think the origin of commute is to do with change from one state to another rather than reduction. For instance, alchemists would talk of commuting lead into gold. From com (with) and mute = change. cf transmute, mutate, permutation. So commuting in the context of travel is regularly changing your place (between work and home).

However, I asssume mjr was making a pun rather than a serious enquiry.
mjr

Post by mjr »

No, I just thought it was a typo. R is above D on the usual keyboards.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Well I phoned them yesterday, couldn't get through, after a couple of minutes got a recorded message saying leave your number and they'll get back. So far they haven't.

Hope you get things sorted .
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Yes, I gave them another call this morning and got through quite quickly. And then just five minutes ago they called me back from my earlier attempt to contact them! :roll:
roger

Post by roger »

gaz wrote:
roger wrote:No membership page in Feb/Mar edition.

Page 14.

It's pretty truncated and not exactly conducive to sign up.