Cycling UK conference and agm

vat1666firerates1

Cycling UK conference and agm

Post by vat1666firerates1 »

Not long to go before the volunteers conference and agm I am looking forward to hears report of the progress and new ideas how to get the UK cycling.

Is anybody else going?
Lance Dopestrong

Re: Cycling UK conference and agm

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Niet.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

I'll be there.
Andy (Cycling UK trustee)

Details here, by the way: https://www.cyclinguk.org/event/cycling ... ation-2019
gaz

Post by gaz »

I shall be attending (by proxy :wink: ) in accordance with article 12.1.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
PH

Post by PH »

Does anyone know if this is in addition to the Autumn get together that's been run for the last few years (Under several names) or instead of? I've attended and enjoyed all the Autumn ones which have been making their way North - Warwick>Birmingham>Manchester>Harrogate. If this is the only one this year I might try and go, though a trip to London doesn't have the appeal of the other venues.
I'm glad better use is being made of the AGM venue, it does otherwise seem a bit of a waste as the vast majority of votes have already been cast.
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

gaz wrote:I shall be attending (by proxy :wink: ) in accordance with article 12.1.

Me too :D
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

PH wrote:Does anyone know if this is in addition to the Autumn get together that's been run for the last few years (Under several names) or instead of? I've attended and enjoyed all the Autumn ones which have been making their way North - Warwick>Birmingham>Manchester>Harrogate. If this is the only one this year I might try and go, though a trip to London doesn't have the appeal of the other venues.
I'm glad better use is being made of the AGM venue, it does otherwise seem a bit of a waste as the vast majority of votes have already been cast.

Instead of. The idea was to try combining the conference/celebration thing with the AGM in the hope it would boost AGM attendance; also to save a bit of money of course. The timing of the financial year and the constraints of our constitution limit how much the AGM can be moved in the calendar, so the celebration was shifted earlier. I expect it will be out of London again next year. (For what it's worth, London is a fair city with many attractions - possibly even more than Harrogate. :-))
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

https://www.cyclinguk.org/bikeweek

perhaps it could have been a date outside of bike week?

starting at 4.00 pm seems bit late.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Steady rider wrote:https://www.cyclinguk.org/bikeweek

perhaps it could have been a date outside of bike week?

starting at 4.00 pm seems bit late.

It's the final event on the day's agenda - the idea was to get people (members and non-members) to come along for the volunteer day, then those who aren't Cycling UK members can wander off while the members stay on for the AGM. That's the theory anyway.

I agree Bike Week may not be the best time for this: you'd hope that a lot of volunteers would be busy organising their own cycling events.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Yes it starts at 9.30 am, may finish at 6.00 pm, bit of long day perhaps. Not many motions I assume. Probably need to review for next year.
PH

Post by PH »

AndyK wrote:Instead of. The idea was to try combining the conference/celebration thing with the AGM in the hope it would boost AGM attendance; also to save a bit of money of course. The timing of the financial year and the constraints of our constitution limit how much the AGM can be moved in the calendar, so the celebration was shifted earlier. I expect it will be out of London again next year. (For what it's worth, London is a fair city with many attractions - possibly even more than Harrogate. :-))

Thanks Andy, I suspected that was the case and it turns out I can't make the date anyway, so that's the end of my unbroken run of comparing free buffets :lol:
I wasn't dissing London, I know what a fine city it is from the amount of time spent there, it just doesn't hold the novelty value of some other venues.
I think it's a good idea to share the AGM venue and costs with something more useful, I've only been to one and other than fulfilling the obligation to have it I really don't know what the point was. People have already voted, the motions have been decided, yet still people queued up to make long passionate speeches as if the few dozen people in the room could change the outcome....
GPC

Post by GPC »

Yes, I hope to be there on Saturday.
hellymedic

Post by hellymedic »

I hope to be there on Saturday.

I'd like a volunteer to act as my helper, please.

I'm a wheelchair user who lacks arm strength to push myself so I need to be pushed everywhere. I'll need a kind person to meet me at the entrance and push me into meetings, as well as to the toilet, which I don't usually need very often. I can look after myself in the loo so it's just a matter of getting there and out, maybe every 2-3 hours.

I'd also be grateful if someone could grab me refreshments when they are available. I'm not a fussy eater and have no particular dietary needs.

Thanks!

Helen
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

According to reports from attendees the AGM attendance in the room was around 25 including trustees.

With 12 trustees and one legal advisor and one finance advisor plus the CEO and the minutes taker and plus say 2 other staff. It could mean the number of ordinary CTC members in attendance was around 7. But let assume some trustees were not present, so attendance appears to be around 10 to 15 form a membership of about 60,000+

Not long ago the trustees came from regional areas and the AGM's were allocated to different venues and motions could be put by a member and seconded by another. This system worked well for decades. Recently some motions are classed as out of order and not discussed or voted on. It appears the new system has taken a step backwards leading to a poor outcome.
PH

Post by PH »

Steady rider wrote:According to reports from attendees the AGM attendance in the room was around 25 including trustees.

With 12 trustees and one legal advisor and one finance advisor plus the CEO and the minutes taker and plus say 2 other staff. It could mean the number of ordinary CTC members in attendance was around 7. But let assume some trustees were not present, so attendance appears to be around 10 to 15 form a membership of about 60,000+

Not long ago the trustees came from regional areas and the AGM's were allocated to different venues and motions could be put by a member and seconded by another. This system worked well for decades. Recently some motions are classed as out of order and not discussed or voted on. It appears the new system has taken a step backwards leading to a poor outcome.

How many members voted at this years AGM? And how many in the Golden Years of the CTC? I'd be surprised if it wasn't more in recent times, they just no longer need to attend to do so.