Cycling UK : Proposal for international expansion

briansnail

Cycling UK : Proposal for international expansion

Post by briansnail »

Worked got your attention. My campaign is a simple one (or maybe not).It is for the charity Cycling UK to broaden its scope and ambition. In short its looks at becoming Cycling International not just Cycling UK. The HQ would be based in the UK.

1-Having international world appeal means more members and more revenue.This means more staff (and higher salaries Yipee!).The clincher argument is subscriptions can come down for all of us if lots more people join from outside the UK.

2-I regularly trawl through overseas cycling posts.They are unbeaten in entertainment and technical value.The principal reason is in many countries cars are still for the elite.If you have a cycle your doing really well.Britain was the same in the 1920's.In some countries the mobile phone and the bicycle are radically transforming peoples lifestyles and making them richer. With mobile phones you can posts things on the really important things in life.Like Cycling. Lets share their thoughts.

3- As a species we are our worst enemy.Global warming will not affect our generation .However as the world gets richer (which is great!) we need to safeguard future generations.A balance between encouraging cars for long journeys and cycles for short journeys would be good.A international charity would aid this. We need to encourage a global movement with more people on bikes.

The present magazine could be accessed overseas on line by a code. The only difference it would be edited for international content. I know it would be a drag but sadly staff might have to put up with friendly invitations to exotic locations. However I am sure the hotels would be nice.Overseas subsciptions can easily be paid into the UK.The UK hosts many organisations with International appeal from Chartered Accountancy to the Royal Society of Chemistry.The recruitment campaign for members could start step by step. Writing to Cycling clubs in USA, Russia, India etc year by year gradually gaining momentum.
Last edited by Graham on 15 Sep 2019, 8:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Re: Cycling UK : Proposal for World Domination

Post by reohn2 »

In short CUK is a government poodle that dare not push the envelope too far for fear of withdrawal of funding,this happened when it became a charity.
What's needed is for CUK to become independent touring club again and renamed The Cyclists Touring Club as it was before,until it does I for one won't be renewing my membership which was stopped when it did become a poodle,err,charity.

The international slant is of course a joke right?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

There is scope for a worldwide organisation for cycle tourists, it would be a great point of contact when touring abroad. But Cycling UK abandoned its touring remit when it converted a charity. The thought of it having a worldwide remit fills me with horror.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 15 Sep 2019, 3:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Does not the ECF European Cyclists Federation fight for us? Is not Mr Mayne in charge?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Does not the ECF European Cyclists Federation fight for us? Is not Mr Mayne in charge?

Or https://www.cyclo-camping.international/en

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

briansnail wrote:Worked got your attention.
No it didn't. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

briansnail wrote:Worked got your attention. My campaign is a simple one (or maybe not).It is for the charity Cycling UK to broaden its scope and ambition. In short its looks at becoming Cycling International not just Cycling UK. The HQ would be based in the UK.

1-Having international world appeal...

April 1st was almost six months ago.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

The Cycling UK forum is a close knit fraternity. Vastly increased multiple postings would dilute this. Posts are right in resistance in that respect. The concept would however involve no change. A new website would mean UK cyclists would click on a tab marked UK and continue as normal.Respondents from Country X would click on their tab to access their world region and monitor posts and service their region. You would be entirely free to dip in or not to other world regions.LOTTERY funding could provide initial funds for a new website and lots of web designers affiliated to Cycling UK as members (especially the retired ones) would probably offer their services for free.

If any website designer wanted to develop the concept privately you just MIGHT make a lot of money like Facebook. Every single Bicycle manufacturer and cycling goods retailer will want to advertise on it. Cycling UK alone has a high membership. Extrapolate that world wide and the marketing/advertising revenue from cycling enthusiasts could be big.
Si

Post by Si »

lots of web designers affiliated to Cycling UK as members (especially the retired ones) would probably offer their services for free.

World of pain.

It has been tried before.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

briansnail wrote:The Cycling UK forum is a close knit fraternity. Vastly increased multiple postings would dilute this. Posts are right in resistance in that respect. The concept would however involve no change. A new website would mean UK cyclists would click on a tab marked UK and continue as normal.Respondents from Country X would click on their tab to access their world region and monitor posts and service their region. You would be entirely free to dip in or not to other world regions.LOTTERY funding could provide initial funds for a new website and lots of web designers affiliated to Cycling UK as members (especially the retired ones) would probably offer their services for free.

If any website designer wanted to develop the concept privately you just MIGHT make a lot of money like Facebook. Every single Bicycle manufacturer and cycling goods retailer will want to advertise on it. Cycling UK alone has a high membership. Extrapolate that world wide and the marketing/advertising revenue from cycling enthusiasts could be big.

There is a vast amount more involved in developing cycling than a web site. And even with a narrow view of CUK/CTC as just a web site, who would be creating the website content for Netherlands and for France and for US and for South Korea, etc., etc.

CTC/CUK intends to do far more than publish a website. Opinions vary about how successful they are at that but e.g. responding to consultations on changes to legislation affecting cyclists, developing schemes to get more bicycles and cyclists active, input to planning proposals, software provision (e.g. pothole reporting systems), etc., etc.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:
briansnail wrote:Worked got your attention.
No it didn't. :wink:
Click Bait.

Good new title.
Mick F. Cornwall
roger

Re: Cycling UK : Proposal for World Domination <= Clickbait

Post by roger »

I blame Boris Bikes.

Roger.
Tinpotflowers

Post by Tinpotflowers »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Does not the ECF European Cyclists Federation fight for us? Is not Mr Mayne in charge?
???

https://ecf.com/community/our-members
briansnail

Re: Cycling UK : Proposal for World Domination <= Clickbait

Post by briansnail »

The posts including mine are like a wobbly cycle wheel. Let's apply a spoke spanner and elaborate at greater length.This will give posts a sense of direction.First define the problem.From 2030 its very possible CUK might have to face a difficult financial future in terms of income generation. In front of me are sky high printouts of Cycling UK's historic financial accounts. One thing stands out very clearly. The charity is really well managed. It runs a consistent surplus.If it was a private company it would be ripe for takeover. For the next 10 years everyone can sleep comfortably. This includes the 40-70 years olds in secure jobs that comprise 80% of the current membership of Cycling UK.Fast forward 10 years we have a new young emergent generation that is supposed to fuel renewal membership and income.Generation rent.There was a documentary last week on Cadbury chocolates.When it started it had workers in the hundreds.Many cycled to work and they had a thriving cycling club.Now a new £75 million investment means just 4 workers can run the entire production of a huge plant. I am not sure if any of them cycle.World manufacturing will be dominated by Computers and Robots by 2030.Membership fees now make up 34% of current CUK funding. One needs cyclists in good jobs to pay subscriptions. In 2030 there will be a few. CUK needs many.Grants currently make up 22% of income. With the problem of funding future pensions and the sheer impossibility of adequately funding organisations like the NHS in 2030.CUK may not rate highly in future handouts simply because there is a possibility that there may be no cash to hand out. Same with legacies and donations (now 12%).With the possible exception of the Sacker foundation who were on the lookout for recipient's. Two high street cycle chains have recently closed and one has issued profit warnings.Not good news for a charity that depends on a young future membership subscriptions.That is if you can correlate bike sale trends with projected future membership as a measure.In 2008 we had a crisis.There was a real fear cash machines would stop working and banks would fail.The housing sub prime debacle burst.No one figured out that such a huge number of people in the largest world economy would default on mortgage payments.One reason why CUK is so managed so well it analyses and actively uses risk managment as part of its financial controls.As Darwin pointed out its not the best and brightest who survive.Its those who adapt to change.I am a realist.Will the current 80% of 40-70 year old membership ask the Executive to embrace the idea of a Cycling International?.Never in a million years.Let the idea incubate and simmer for a decade.Younger CUK members might remember resurrect the idea in 10 years if CUK ever is in financial peril. New idea's and theories usually take a generation to surface. Already younger members are joining many cycling sites like Peloton where they compete on line with cyclists on line internationally.The highly successful Runners world site is dot.com NOT dot.uk. The world changes. I do not see many young riders at the café on Touring rides. They all overtake and disappear round the corner at light speed while I watch highly impressed. If only I could generate that wattage!. I will now don a wig and beard and lie low in South America.Annoy loyal CUK members at your peril.I wonder if Jon Snow will ever read this.I only ask because I am a big fan of his (secret Jetliner spotter). Meanwhile Happy cycling.

Cycling UK:Proposal for World Domination

Post by briansnail »

Why so silent? I was expecting a robust response to my rely to previous posts!