Membership rates

PH

Re: Membership rates

Post by PH »

thirdcrank wrote:On the magazine, which surely would attract zero sales on the open market, AIUI, the advertising income is largely dependent on audited circulation.

I’d buy it. Even if it was an addition to the standard membership I’d pay it.
I know it gets a lot of stick on these boards, but they’re not very representative, I have many conversations with CTC riders based on the content.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

By open market, I meant on newsagents' shelves.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PH wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:On the magazine, which surely would attract zero sales on the open market, AIUI, the advertising income is largely dependent on audited circulation.

I’d buy it. Even if it was an addition to the standard membership I’d pay it

Me too.

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Noting that the concessionary and junior rates are being raised too, while the standard rate is not, I'd hazard a guess the long term aim is towards one unitary rate.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It sounds as though potential sales of the mag are greater than I thought. Perhaps the trustees have a duty to consider selling copies of the mag on the open market both to increase charity income and promote cycling. (Clue: the title "The Comic" is already taken.)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Simples, just call it 'Cycling Weakly' :wink:

It is worth scanning I think, but I have some older copies of the Gazette, 1960s on, they are worth reading again
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I like the magazine as well. In fact it is the only thing I really get from being a member. I have other insurance and I prefer solo riding. The reason I keep paying is that I like the fact there are touring groups for those so inclined and having a national voice for non racing cyclists alongside BC and Sustrans.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

That's perhaps worth a thread in itself.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PeterT wrote:The proposal is, according to them based on a survey of approx 5000 people, 1000 being non members. Not exactly statistically significant.

I think you mean statistically robust and it easily could be, if the survey wasn't self-selecting. About 1500 people is often used to estimate the views of 66 million on very divisive questions, so 4000 members should be OK for estimating the views of 73,000 (or whatever today's membership figure is).

I agree it's a big hike and I think it could have been handled better.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PeterT

Post by PeterT »

mjr wrote:
PeterT wrote:The proposal is, according to them based on a survey of approx 5000 people, 1000 being non members. Not exactly statistically significant.

I think you mean statistically robust and it easily could be, if the survey wasn't self-selecting. About 1500 people is often used to estimate the views of 66 million on very divisive questions, so 4000 members should be OK for estimating the views of 73,000 (or whatever today's membership figure is).

I agree it's a big hike and I think it could have been handled better.

I e-mailed CUK 10 days ago for information about the survey and have not received a reply. CUK have used the survey to justify a hike for those over 65, but there is nothing at all about houshold subscriptions being means tested. Are households a special category deserving of reduced rates? I think your comment about handling this better is generous.