Cycling UK statement on Covid19

thirdcrank

Re: Cycling UK statement on Covid19

Postby thirdcrank » 13 Oct 2020, 2:11pm

I see that the Q & A linked in the OP has been updated from time-to-time, although the last time was now a month ago (14 Sept.)

Clarity of communication from the top of govt., has been in short supply so it's no surprise to me if there's confusion lower down. eg Rules (in legislation) and advice have been jumbled up as though they were synonymous. (Think HC - the difference between must and should.)

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 13 Oct 2020, 5:06pm

PH wrote:
TrevA wrote:So, the rules have changed again. I’m in a Tier 2 area where the Rule of 6 applies outside but there’s no mixing of households inside. So we can still ride in groups of 6 but the cafe stop is likely to cause problems, as we can’t mix inside.

It's impossible to make much sense of it, I'm just up the road from you and in a area rated as medium. So does the local restriction apply based on where you live or where the cafe stop is?

Yes, that’s interesting. We are quite close to Leics, which is in the medium Tier 1 category and several of the cafes we regularly go to are in Leics. I’m assuming it’s based on where you live, but it would be useful if it was where the cafe was located. I’m not sure how enforceable it is either. How is the cafe owner or anyone else going to know where you are from?
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 13 Oct 2020, 7:34pm

TrevA wrote: ... I’m not sure how enforceable it is either. How is the cafe owner or anyone else going to know where you are from?

I'm only guessing, but if there's an infection connected with premises, then the tracing system should reveal where all the contacts came from. Whether that works or not is another thing.

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 13 Oct 2020, 8:21pm

thirdcrank wrote:
TrevA wrote: ... I’m not sure how enforceable it is either. How is the cafe owner or anyone else going to know where you are from?

I'm only guessing, but if there's an infection connected with premises, then the tracing system should reveal where all the contacts came from. Whether that works or not is another thing.

But there’s a choice to sit inside or outside, and whilst contact details are taken, I’m pretty sure they don’t keep a record of who sat where, or that we were part of a group. Household groups and individuals can still sit inside cafes under Tier 2, and there are also no restrictions on travel to another county.

mjr

Postby mjr » 13 Oct 2020, 9:30pm

Some take note of where you sit and thereby who is a group and some don't. There doesn't seem to be much consistency in track-and-trace, which is probably part of the current problems.

TrevA wrote:So we can still ride in groups of 6 but the cafe stop is likely to cause problems, as we can’t mix inside. So it’s either no stop club rides, rides with a cafe stop but sit outside (brrrrrrrr!) or sit inside but apart from each other, which not many cafes are set up for. Or go old school, carry a flask and sandwiches in your saddlebag.

I don't see the problem. This time of year, you need to be kitted out for possible long stops in the cold anyway, in case of serious mechanical problems or worse, so what's the difficulty in sitting outside? And if you're carrying a picnic, you need cold-weather kit then anyway.

The main problem now is rainy days where there's not enough outdoor shelter at the stop for distancing.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 14 Oct 2020, 7:11pm

Went out on today’s club ride. Obeyed the rules and sat outside at the cafe. It wasn’t too bad weather wise but we did start to feel the cold, not helped by slow service at the cafe, who took 15 minutes to bring our drinks out. It was just about OK, but it’s going to get much colder than it was today - about 9 degrees C at the cafe stop.

We were just over the border in Lincs at the cafe, and they were unaware of the Tier 2 rules.