Cycling UK - sub/regional groups?

Steady rider

Cycling UK - sub/regional groups?

Post by Steady rider »

I think the change from a club based CTC to a charity based CTC with trading name Cycling UK was an effort to gain more funding and tax breaks perhaps.

It appears to have had various effects and caused some serious divisions. The activities largely support cycling groups, individuals and the public. The traditional CTC was governed by the articles approved by the members and influenced by the members and had regional representatives. Quite a good connection with the membership. It has now lost the area connectivity and somewhat lost the direct influence of a membership group and now relies on the trustees acting in the best interests of cycling.

With a lot of Cycling UK activity still focused on membership activity is there anything stopping Cycling UK from forming sub regional groups to enhance connectivity to cycling groups. To allow the sub groups to promote cycling to achieve the maximum benefit in their areas, how best could this be arranged? A sub group could follow much of the old CTC articles and still be within Cycling UK articles and practices perhaps. Would there be definite benefits? What would be the objectives of areas taking part? Is it worth a submission to the trustees?
pedals2slowly

Re: Cycling UK - sub/regional groups?

Post by pedals2slowly »

I've got an idea, let's form 'District Associations' so local clubs and member groups can get together to raise profile locally, attract more members, have joint activities and campaigning........................ :lol:

I doubt if it's worth putting to the trustees because the majority have been put in place due to their 'relevant skills' rather than their association with good old traditional club cycling. (Connectivity)
Such a proposal would be seen as back pedalling, BUT you are absolutely right there is potential there. I raised this issue with various chairmen and CEO's over several years but was unable to get them to understand that CUK could move forward and take an affiliated CTC along with it. Shame, I think an opportunity missed.

Try it and see?
Steady rider

Re: Cycling UK - sub/regional groups?

Post by Steady rider »

One problem that came to light when the CTC Yorkshire and Humber Region was formed in about 2000 ( wound up in about 2012) was meeting resulted in asking members to travel from say Sheffield, Bradford, Hull etc a time consuming job and it had no funding to pay travel expenses. In 2020 we have Zoom meeting available. Looking at the Contact list in Cycle show lists pf people in various areas, about 13 areas. These could be invited to form DAs and the trustees consult the membership and those listed on what function the DAs could provide. The functions would have to be designed to provide a benefit without undue work loads. The DfT provided some funding not long ago for extra staff, perhaps one central coordinator to help with advice.