Image captions in Cycle magazine

lbomaak2

Image captions in Cycle magazine

Post by lbomaak2 »

Something that has been annoying me for years (ever since Cycle magazine adopted its present format): in the Great Rides and other feature articles, the images on the article's title page never have any captions, even though all the images later in the article do have captions. This is despite the fact that the title page images are often the most interesting and deserving of an explanatory caption. Take the two Great Rides articles in the latest (August 2020) Cycle: where exactly in the Tatra mountains were those wonderful pictures on page 34 taken? Where in London are the Eagle pub and the canal-side path pictured on page 52?

But it's not just this latest issue of Cycle that has this discrimination against title-page images with regard to captioning. It is absolutely consistent through every issue, and totally irrational! Why, Mr Editor?
thirdcrank

Re: Image captions in Cycle magazine

Post by thirdcrank »

I think you need to write a Dear Dan letter.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Perhaps it is a quiz, maybe the editor has a 'wicked sense of humour' and wants to get readers thinking :?
Exceedingly unprofessional IMHO

Or does he want to annoy and provoke?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 16 Aug 2020, 5:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote:I think you need to write a Dear Dan letter.

Agreed. It isn't reasonable to expect that anyone should keep an eye on all forum discussions.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 15 Aug 2020, 4:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My thread on the "strange" photo on the front cover of Cycle some time back was denied by the editor ............. but every single person that I've showed the mag to, have agreed with me entirely.
It's the ONLY copy of Cycle that I still have.
Latest one went into the incinerator only this afternoon and basically unread.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=123676
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

You've lost me.

You started a thread saying the cover pic was photoshopped and the general opinion was that you were wrong. Dan Joyce replied to your email and said you were wrong. I don't know who you showed the mag to: perhaps they seemed to agree because they didn't like to argue about something so trivial.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

My own pet issue is that size of font for the date. i actually write on the month and year in marker pen, so they can be viewed at a glance.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

lbomaak2 wrote: where exactly in the Tatra mountains were those wonderful pictures on page 34 taken? Where in London are the Eagle pub and the canal-side path pictured on page 52?

Great to see there is now a print version of the Lockdown non-touring quiz viewtopic.php?f=16&t=136663

If you post the images there, someone will pretty soon tell you where they are :D :D