e-scooters

Si

e-scooters

Post by Si »

Just been reading "This Great Club of Ours" the early history of the CTC/CUK. After a fantastic start and loads of people joining it appears that there was a great schism when the question of allowing in tourists who used those new-fangled motor cars was raised. The result was that cars were not accepted and loads of people left the club (other reasons were also to blame).

Now we know that CUK is happy with people on e-bikes/trikes (as long as they are legal etc). What if we find that e-scooterists want to join (if the current trials are successful and people are allowed to become private owners of road going e-scooters)?

On the 'for' side:
- they go at a similar sort of speeds as cycles
- they use the same sort of roads and paths
- they have similar vulnerabilities
- they are much greener that cars
- they offer much less threat to cyclists than cars do in a collision

On the 'agin' side:
- they ain't cycles
- although you can propel them manually I get the feeling that very few people will.

CSUK...Cycling & Scootering UK ? Could be problematic for us dyslexics.
gaz

Re: e-scooters

Post by gaz »

Shirley it all went wrong earlier than that when BTC let the trikies in :wink:? Let us also not forget that the members voted for including the drivists in our flock, it was the courts that said no.
OBJ1.png

Fortunately or not our current Charitable Objects make no mention of e-scootering. I can't see how CSUK could happen without a change to the articles unless the government declares e-scooters to be e-cycles*. Doubtless that would be a hill that some would be prepared to die on.

*e-balance bikes anyone :wink: ?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Si

Post by Si »

Aye, there would need to be changes to allow escooterists in, but could it be beneficial? They may well suffer the same difficulties as cyclists, an d have many similar needs.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Si wrote:Aye, there would need to be changes to allow escooterists in, but could it be beneficial? They may well suffer the same difficulties as cyclists, an d have many similar needs.

Alternatively, could CUK support escooterists as a tactic to improve things for cyclists? As Si notes, there's a lot of overlap in the needs and numbers can help nudge politicians.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

At present it's a fence I'm happy to sit on, I'm aware that there will likely be strong views on both sides of any forthcoming debate.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade