Cycle mag

Philip Benstead

Cycle mag

Post by Philip Benstead »

As anybody received their October/November mag yet?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Glyno

Re: Cycle mag

Post by Glyno »

I haven't.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I haven't.

But then, I resigned.
John
roger

Post by roger »

I asked for my and my wife's copies to be replaced. These arrived next morning. The "missing" copies have not appeared, can only believe that there is some recycler out there.
It would be good to know if they have found and corrected the difficulty.
Like previous correspondents we are still in eager anticipation.
Glyno

Post by Glyno »

I'm a postie and deliver the mag to several addresses. I haven't delivered (or received) the Oct/Nov issue as yet.
roger

Post by roger »

One copy received today.
Queens Park Pete

Post by Queens Park Pete »

I havent. but then I only received the May June one half way through September. I am relatively new so I dont know when it normally arrives. Pretty pathetic if delays continue- how much are we paying staff working at the mailing house?
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

It is available online now and I have just had a look....not much of interest to me as usual.
fullfathom5

Post by fullfathom5 »

For an organisation that wants to get more people into cycling why is the vast majority of equipment reviewed in Cycle so very expensive?
Queens Park Pete

Post by Queens Park Pete »

Mine arrived on the 2nd. excellent!
Spent the last week researching those trails in Galloway (NCN 7 plus extras). Looks well worth the midge bites once the pubs re-open!
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Queens Park Pete wrote:Mine arrived on the 2nd. excellent!
Spent the last week researching those trails in Galloway (NCN 7 plus extras). Looks well worth the midge bites once the pubs re-open!

Mine arrived earlier this week, I like the mag, just wish it was a bit longer, or a monthly, there's not really an equivalent cycling magazine in the UK aimed at dare I say 'the average' cyclist (ie. me!), I'm not into sport, endurance or mtb, which is really the focus of cycling magazines I see on the shelf, I'd like a 'Country Walking' type of cycling magazine and really the 'cycle' mag is a close fit.

Cheers,

Keith
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Traction_man wrote:
Queens Park Pete wrote:Mine arrived on the 2nd. excellent!

Mine arrived earlier this week, I like the mag, just wish it was a bit longer, or a monthly, there's not really an equivalent cycling magazine in the UK aimed at dare I say 'the average' cyclist (ie. me!), I'm not into sport, endurance or mtb, which is really the focus of cycling magazines I see on the shelf, I'd like a 'Country Walking' type of cycling magazine and really the 'cycle' mag is a close fit.

Cheers,

Keith

Please explain what you want in the magazine in more detail.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Philip Benstead wrote:Please explain what you want in the magazine in more detail.

In a nutshell, more and longer features, eg the King Alfred's Way article in the current issue is only two pages long (preceded by a double page photo spread), I think more of this kind of touring feature would be good, as well as more 'tales from the road', long distance cycling, it's one of the reasons why I like Cyclist Offroad magazine (https://shop.cyclist.co.uk/products/cyc ... ne-issue-3).

Cheers,

Keith
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Philip Benstead wrote:Please explain what you want in the magazine in more detail.

I’ve been a bit critical of the magazine in the past but this one seemed sort of OK if missing some opportunities to support ordinary cyclists. What’s an ordinary cyclist? Well, to be fair, cyclists do vary a lot and I might be on the extremes myself but by ordinary I mean the man or women who commutes by bike or otherwise has it as a form of transport that’s integral to their life in a practical and recreational way (though not ‘really’ including sport).

Did the feature in £4K Tandems give me value? No, not really as such a spend is outside of my perceptions of reasonable - anyone wanting me to change my perceptions is advise to ‘go away’. Do the features in products interest me, again it’s no as they’re well away from the budgets of ordinary cyclists. What did I like? Well, yes, the feature on King Alfred’s way was of interest and I read the letters page. I liked the article on the Highway Code and responsibilities. I kept the articles on lights and child seats for my file, not that they’re particularly good but rather a start point.

I’d really love to see an article in each mag about a rider’s sub £200 (resale value) bike that they have keep on the road with a minimal spend, that’s my type of cycling and it is rarely represented in the mag. Articles that talk you through someone’s day out on say a fixed gear or three speed bike would be enjoyable to read and better inspire people to attempt and likely do what’s within their reach. Be liberated and explore on the bike you have or can afford, and if you can afford ‘better’ then be even more inspired to have a go on your easier to propel velocipede.

Articles on disabled cyclists don’t always interest me much but one comment grabbed my attention. ‘What does cycling mean to you’ got the response ‘cycling means freedom for me’. That, my friends, hit the nail squarely on the head for me! Via the benefits of accessible transport Cycling is fundamentally about giving people freedom(s) in their daily lives that open up their horizons, and that (experience of and facilitation of) is, IMHO, what ‘our mag’ should be primarily about. Have a bike, have mobility, have a better life - and the moderate exercise can be good for you too.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Bazza55

Post by Bazza55 »

I rarely read the magazine nowadays and I used to read it avidly, from cover to cover. The reason why is because it is being used as a political tool to influence voting and opinions and does not give balanced or contrary opinions on matters the Trustees want to see pushed through. For example: On page 14 of the August/September issue was an article explaining why Cycling UK needed to abolish the concessionary membership rate for over 65 year olds. They included a comment from a 72 year old West Sussex member who thought this was a great idea, despite this costing him £16 a year. Did the magazine carry a comment from another member who was against this increase to balance the debate? - No chance. Then to top it all, the October/November article on page 14 had an article named 'A vote for change' where Dan Howard and others had the opportunity to 'brag' about their success in getting the motion through to the detriment of long standing, senior members, totally insensitive and insulting. I used to pass my magazine on to my dentist for his waiting room, they now go in the bin where they belong.