Bizarre Covid Lockdown campaigning by Cycling UK.

deckertim

Bizarre Covid Lockdown campaigning by Cycling UK.

Postby deckertim » 3 Nov 2020, 9:35am

Has anyone else seen this rather stupid bit of campaigning by Cycling UK.

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling-uk ... les-278421

I'm really annoyed by this. By asking the Government to provide clear guidance there is a very good chance that they will impose an arbitrary limit.
Michael Gove when asked about this earlier in the year had suggested 30 minutes to an hour would be appropriate, which was clearly nonsense.

I am going to write to Cycling UK and ask them to be more careful with their campaigning.

pwa

Re: Bizarre Covid Lockdown campaigning by Cycling UK.

Postby pwa » 3 Nov 2020, 9:42am

With the current lockdown in Wales we can cycle any distance from our front door. I'd not cycle across the border to England because I'd have to do some research on English restrictions, but within Wales the only limit is set by my legs and my enthusiasm. Are there limits in England?

Graham

Postby Graham » 3 Nov 2020, 9:52am

That's not campaigning ! It is a request for clarification and is probably closely related to riding in CUK groups.

Where there are organised groups, compliance with the law is significant.

PH

Postby PH » 3 Nov 2020, 9:59am

Graham wrote:That's not campaigning ! It is a request for clarification and is probably closely related to riding in CUK groups.

Not really, the question relates to the English lockdown and is specifically about duration/distance, the restrictions on numbers is already clear, there is no group riding.
I don't get the point of asking, maybe they were being asked and wanted to be able to provide answers.

deckertim

Postby deckertim » 3 Nov 2020, 10:21am

Graham wrote:That's not campaigning ! It is a request for clarification and is probably closely related to riding in CUK groups.

I am not sure what it is to be honest. But it certainly isn't helpful.

Graham

Postby Graham » 3 Nov 2020, 10:37am

Sorry that's a duffer on my part . . . . . . .

PeterT

Postby PeterT » 3 Nov 2020, 2:12pm

The government havent specified a time or distance limit so why ask if there is one? Justifying existence perhaps? This will only make someone in government who knows nothing about cycling make a decision plucked out of thin air... bit like the 1st lockdown.

mjr

Postby mjr » 3 Nov 2020, 3:05pm

PeterT wrote:The government havent specified a time or distance limit so why ask if there is one? Justifying existence perhaps? This will only make someone in government who knows nothing about cycling make a decision plucked out of thin air... bit like the 1st lockdown.

Because they'd rather Boris or Grant said officially there are no limits on cycling before some bikebasher asks the odious Gove again?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Carlton green

Postby Carlton green » 3 Nov 2020, 4:55pm

mjr wrote:
PeterT wrote:The government havent specified a time or distance limit so why ask if there is one? Justifying existence perhaps? This will only make someone in government who knows nothing about cycling make a decision plucked out of thin air... bit like the 1st lockdown.

Because they'd rather Boris or Grant said officially there are no limits on cycling before some bikebasher asks the odious Gove again?

Perhaps for CUK it should be fundamentally about either keeping quiet or asking the right question to get either the right outcome or right answer? As such might it be wise to either ‘keep your head down’ or ask if England might harmonise with Wales on this issue and (so) have ‘open’ limits to the time spent cycling from a rider’s home.