Bizarre Covid Lockdown campaigning by Cycling UK.

atoz

Re: Bizarre Covid Lockdown campaigning by Cycling UK.

Post by atoz »

thirdcrank wrote:As I've been banging away across several threads, some police forces appear to be enforcing their own interpretation of the guidance, rather than the law. Reading between the lines, now that the Derbyshire episode has made the headlines and resulted in a climbdown, some of the media releases from other forces seem to be either anticipating a lot of resulting requests for a review or a response to some that have been received.

I think the charity's request for clarification is a sound step. My only reservation is that unless it gets a lot of supporting publicity it will be ignored until the question is academic.

This is against a background of those modern role models - professional soccer players - being unable to restrict themselves to a round of polite applause when a goal is scored and a government unable to influence that.

I agree, it is a wise step. We don't need cycling haters posing as Covid vigilantes, and some clarification would help.
ChrisButch

Re: Bizarre Covid Lockdown campaigning by Cycling UK.

Post by ChrisButch »

thirdcrank wrote:As I've been banging away across several threads, some police forces appear to be enforcing their own interpretation of the guidance, rather than the law. Reading between the lines, now that the Derbyshire episode has made the headlines and resulted in a climbdown, some of the media releases from other forces seem to be either anticipating a lot of resulting requests for a review or a response to some that have been received.

I think the charity's request for clarification is a sound step. My only reservation is that unless it gets a lot of supporting publicity it will be ignored until the question is academic.

This is against a background of those modern role models - professional soccer players - being unable to restrict themselves to a round of polite applause when a goal is scored and a government unable to influence that.

And judging by the response from the junior transport minister, it seems to have worked. 'Be guided by your common sense in deciding where and how far to ride', is what it amounts to. So anybody anxious about a challenge from police or anybody else could simply carry a copy of that statement in a pocket, ready to flourish if necessary.