Editorial in the current edition. Dec/Jan

Cyril Haearn

Re: Editorial in the current edition. Dec/Jan

Post by Cyril Haearn »

CEO commuting in London? I thought the ctc was in leafy Surrey, still got Godalming in my head for some reason :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

tatanab wrote:Slightly differently, I was rather put out by a comment from our CEO whose cycling experience seems limited to London. She wrote that CUK is unique in being inclusive and open to all abilities - something like that, I'm not going to rummage in the recycling for the exact words. Unique my eye! I guess she knows nothing of other national clubs that meet those criteria -but of course they are clubs not charities so probably don't count.

Clarion? What else? The "Wobblies and Gimps" Basher's Club need not apply ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

My favourite bit of complete tosh in the latest edition is a condescending piece in Cyclopedia Knowhow "Making sense of commonly misunderstood subjects" This months commonly misunderstood subject is: "How can I cycle in a jilbab or a long dress" (pp58). The author manages to drag this out to encompass nearly an entire page; where a simple one line statement would have sufficed. Namely, if you think your attire may become caught in the workings of your cycle, you attire will need to be adjusted so it doesn't. I consider that this particular article is insulting to the intelligence of women as a whole and particularly insulting to those females of an Islamic religious persuasion. We have also found out in this addition that the CEO has to take her bike to a shop to have a puncture fixed (PP5). Ho Hum.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
pga

Post by pga »

Nothing better to look forward at this difficult time than to cycle on our ever changing country lanes to meet up with a friend or friends, depending on the guidelines, for a coffee and cake in the open air even in spite of the cold weather like like we have today. Keep apart and watch out for those thorns on the road.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

KTHSullivan wrote:We have also found out in this addition that the CEO has to take her bike to a shop to have a puncture fixed (PP5). Ho Hum.

"Has to"? in my copy it only says how she chooses to.

Jonathan
colin54

Post by colin54 »

It seems to me that all Dan Joyce is saying in essence is, 'I'm looking forward to my cycling holidays when the current restrictions are relaxed', I can't see any problem with that myself. It's expressed as his personal view as it's written, relating to his own cycling experience.
P1120149.JPG

Full piece, click to read.
Nu-Fogey
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm looking forward to my cycling holidays when the current restrictions are relaxed.

Well put - in thirteen words. But why be concise with half a page to fill?
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote:
I'm looking forward to my cycling holidays when the current restrictions are relaxed.

Or why be concise when you can insult riders who don't cycle on holidays or in groups?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mjr wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:

Or why be concise when you can insult riders who don't cycle on holidays or in groups?

If it could be thus interpreted, it is very bad

Perhaps he could try to develop a line as a provocative columnist, like those who have become famous for hating cyclists. Not by hating cyclists, obviously
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Paul Fenton

Post by Paul Fenton »

Yeah; What is all the fuss about?! Editor's comments reflect my view of cycling this time of year. Dull, wet , cold, windy days on end. Muddy roads, Short hours of daylight. I also have to drag myself out to ride consistently in these conditions. I call it 'Bread n butter riding'. Regular and consistent in order to keep myself reasonably fit through the winter ready to enjoy the longer touring and local rides as soon as the weather warms up. We all need a little inspiration to keep us going and for those of us who enjoy our Countryside viewed from a cycle saddle, a little encouragement to plan future tours. Reflecting on the contrast our climate and winter cycling brings to the more enjoyable days of light long sunshine days, fresh aromas of meadows and cut grass, and tours in pastures new or old favourites, is not a derogation but just an empathetic expression of the reality but pointing our view above the current experience.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paul Fenton wrote:I call it 'Bread n butter riding'.

That's also fine by me.

And thank you for the pastoral images. : - )

Jonathan
horizon

Post by horizon »

The only thing that occurs to me is that it slightly denigrates ordinary day-to-day riding. In the rarified atmosphere of a cycling magazine office (or currently his spare bedroom), it's possible to get carried away by the usual hype regarding exotic locations, tough mountains and special equipment.

But what I always bang on about with friends and family is that cycling is exercise that gets integrated into your life: you don't necessarily plan it or put time aside for it (easily confounded) but just do it, sometimes because you have to. This to me is the most valuable form of cycling because it doesn't depend on circles on calendar dates or indeed any form of excitement or motivation. You can't say no, because you have to get home or get some food in. Even the Sunday ride can just be a non-negotiable regular event.

That said, I do have my "red circle" events (roll on 2021!) but we now live in a world of "amazing experiences" and it seems nothing less will do. Well, for many of us, a lot of the time, less is more.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

^^^ That's pretty much it ^^^

Also cUk is now inclusive, rather than just for committed riders. That should be more than a bit of tokenism.
Wemmick

Post by Wemmick »

If Dan ruffled feathers with his editorial, it struck me he continued in dismissive mode on page 20, '2021 Tech', wherein he reviews various cycling odds and sods. Up for his expert appraisal were Schwalbe Aerothan inner tubes. Dan wrote, and I quote, "My first thought: tubes?" I can only infer from this that he views dinosaurs such as myself, who prefer tubed tyres, to be irredeemably 'off trend'.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Wemmick wrote:Dan wrote, and I quote, "My first thought: tubes?" I can only infer from this that he views dinosaurs such as myself, who prefer tubed tyres, to be irredeemably 'off trend'.

I don't know about ' only infer '. I could infer for instance that the phrase 'tubes' is shorthand for ' tubes, £24.99 for a tube ' ! Unclear perhaps, but not meant to be insulting I don't think.
P1120163.JPG
Nu-Fogey