Editorial in the current edition. Dec/Jan

peterb

Re: Editorial in the current edition. Dec/Jan

Post by peterb »

- I took it to mean 'tubes? Does anyone use tubes anymore? How old fashioned!' I'm finding the more 'inclusive' CTC becomes, the more crusading it becomes, there is less to read that interests me - sorry but that's just me, my opinion. I could throw it in the recycling without looking at it but as I'm paying for it with part of my much increased subs I try to check it out each month.
Tim Holman

Post by Tim Holman »

Tubes? As in: "What a..."? Also check it out every MONTH. Since when? Sorry, being clever again my mum will have my guts for garters.
Wemmick

Post by Wemmick »

peterb wrote:- I took it to mean 'tubes? Does anyone use tubes anymore? How old fashioned!' I'm finding the more 'inclusive' CTC becomes, the more crusading it becomes, there is less to read that interests me - sorry but that's just me, my opinion. I could throw it in the recycling without looking at it but as I'm paying for it with part of my much increased subs I try to check it out each month.

Yes, that was my take on it. I seem to read less and less of the mag with each issue which arrives. A pity, as I've long since given up buying cycling magazines.
Wemmick

Post by Wemmick »

colin54 wrote:
Wemmick wrote:Dan wrote, and I quote, "My first thought: tubes?" I can only infer from this that he views dinosaurs such as myself, who prefer tubed tyres, to be irredeemably 'off trend'.

I don't know about ' only infer '. I could infer for instance that the phrase 'tubes' is shorthand for ' tubes, £24.99 for a tube ' ! Unclear perhaps, but not meant to be insulting I don't think.

I think I know what you mean, though the double negative makes it difficult to be sure :)
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

That cutting seems quite reasonable to me. Most of my riding would fit that description. 100 miles a week commuting isn't memorable,it's dark much of the time and the woods stay all the same. Sunday club rides blur into one, especially at the moment. They do the job, are better than the turbo but are not anything to write home about.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Awful lots of defensive, lets not offend anyone type of comments here.
If we are allowed to upset one group we are allowed to upset every group. Can't have divisions you know.
prestavalve

Post by prestavalve »

peterb wrote: I'm finding the more 'inclusive' CTC becomes, the more crusading it becomes, there is less to read that interests me - sorry but that's just me, my opinion...

But thanks to this latest issue, I now know how to cycle in a jilbab - having only just come back from living, working and cycling in Malaysia for three and a half years! Strangely enough, the topic of "how to stay modestly dressed whilst riding" was not a feature either in the (very limited) cycling press there, or at any of the rides I went to - all of which featured plenty of Malay women wearing lycra and started with a prayer from an imam.

I am not sure if this article accepts a particular premise that women's cycling has a long and proud history of rejecting (see Edwardian cycling suits and a famous legal case involving an early cycling organization and a hotelier who refused to serve a woman because she was dressed for riding), but I do know that I'd rather read an article about World Bicycle Relief empowering women and communities or organizations which promote women's cycling and racing in countries where it has not been traditionally permitted (such as the Afghan cycling federation, whose female members ride in sports clothes btw). That'd be interesting and woke.

mattsccm wrote:If we are allowed to upset one group we are allowed to upset every group. Can't have divisions you know.

As a white guy who just made a post about an issue related to Muslim women's clothing, I certainly hope you are right :)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

prestavalve wrote:.... or at any of the rides I went to - all of which featured plenty of Malay women wearing lycra and started with a prayer from an imam.

Maybe they need an article on cycling rituals in different countries?
I went for an MTB ride in Bolivia and before departing we all had a significant swig of something like distilled meths (strong, in an unlabelled bottle) then had to douse the front tyre in the stuff as an offering to Pachamama. Given the choice between a prayer and strong alcohol ... I know which tradition I prefer.

Ian
prestavalve

Post by prestavalve »

Psamathe wrote:Maybe they need an article on cycling rituals in different countries?

Oddest thing that I have had happen to me before a ride was a sort of massed Hakka dance, performed by the (very junior) officer cadets of a Malaysian military academy. They wore do-rags and had black stripes of camo paste on their faces. It would have been pretty boss if any of them had been over 50kg.

Nice ride organized by the alumni though.