CTC/CUK New Chair and new Trustees take their seats

User avatar
Philip Benstead
Posts: 1358
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 7:06pm
Location: Victoria , London

CTC/CUK New Chair and new Trustees take their seats

Postby Philip Benstead » 7 Jan 2021, 5:53pm

CTC/CUK New Chair and new Trustees take their seats.


https://www.cyclinguk.org/about/cycling-uk-board
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 16578
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: CTC/CUK New Chair and new Trustees take their seats

Postby mjr » 7 Jan 2021, 6:20pm

A recently retired senior adviser to Public Health England;
TV Producer at the BBC;
bookshop owner and Campaigns Officer for the Cycling UK Lincolnshire member branch;
retired pharmacist and NHS executive board director;
(possibly former) senior executive in several international organisations;
Strategic Lead for Allied Health Professions at an NHS Trust;
CEO of an adventure sports consultancy;
transformation director for a leading market research agency;
developer of digital strategies;
a business consultant.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

PH
Posts: 9774
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: CTC/CUK New Chair and new Trustees take their seats

Postby PH » 7 Jan 2021, 6:55pm

A Bicycle Belles ride leader
A cycle tourist
A CUK Campaigns Officer
A CTC cycle tourer
Another lifelong cycle tourer
Another cycle tourer
A mountain biker (Who let him in?)
A lifelong cyclist
A CTC rider since the age of 12
A CUK Member Group Secretary

User avatar
Philip Benstead
Posts: 1358
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 7:06pm
Location: Victoria , London

Re: CTC/CUK New Chair and new Trustees take their seats

Postby Philip Benstead » 7 Jan 2021, 8:41pm

Your points?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic

Traction_man
Posts: 54
Joined: 10 Jan 2020, 5:30pm
Location: Bangor NI

Re: CTC/CUK New Chair and new Trustees take their seats

Postby Traction_man » 7 Jan 2021, 10:58pm

Philip Benstead wrote:CTC/CUK New Chair and new Trustees take their seats.


https://www.cyclinguk.org/about/cycling-uk-board


I wish them all well but my main observation is for a UK-wide organisation there's a very strong English bias evident in the make up of the Board with no trustee based in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland...

All the best,

Keith

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 5652
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: CTC/CUK New Chair and new Trustees take their seats

Postby Paulatic » 8 Jan 2021, 7:27am

I observed that too along with no one north of Lincoln on the East.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info

PH
Posts: 9774
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: CTC/CUK New Chair and new Trustees take their seats

Postby PH » 8 Jan 2021, 7:50am

Paulatic wrote:I observed that too along with no one north of Lincoln on the East.

Except those who live in Lancashire and the Wirral :wink:

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 5652
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: CTC/CUK New Chair and new Trustees take their seats

Postby Paulatic » 8 Jan 2021, 8:12am

PH wrote:
Paulatic wrote:I observed that too along with no one north of Lincoln on the East.

Except those who live in Lancashire and the Wirral :wink:

That’s why I said the East
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info

PH
Posts: 9774
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: CTC/CUK New Chair and new Trustees take their seats

Postby PH » 8 Jan 2021, 9:11am

Paulatic wrote:
PH wrote:
Paulatic wrote:I observed that too along with no one north of Lincoln on the East.

Except those who live in Lancashire and the Wirral :wink:

That’s why I said the East

I misunderstood.
That's very specific, there's larger areas of population without a trustee living in them, to the SW for example.
If I were to be disappointed in any aspect of the make up of the board, it would be the lack of ethnic diversity, I hope this will be addressed.

Traction_man
Posts: 54
Joined: 10 Jan 2020, 5:30pm
Location: Bangor NI

Re: CTC/CUK New Chair and new Trustees take their seats

Postby Traction_man » 8 Jan 2021, 9:25am

PH wrote:
If I were to be disappointed in any aspect of the make up of the board, it would be the lack of ethnic diversity, I hope this will be addressed.


+1 yes this is something that really ought to be addressed

--on the positive side though there is a good gender balance and I know with Boards of Trustees commitment and experience are really important considerations, but equally so is composition and representation, and addressing gaps, whether geographic or ethnic, ought to be key priorities.

all the best,

Keith

Oldjohnw
Posts: 5727
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: CTC/CUK New Chair and new Trustees take their seats

Postby Oldjohnw » 8 Jan 2021, 9:53am

It does look as though it helps if you have a background in Medical administration.
John

User avatar
Philip Benstead
Posts: 1358
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 7:06pm
Location: Victoria , London

Re: CTC/CUK New Chair and new Trustees take their seats

Postby Philip Benstead » 8 Jan 2021, 1:08pm

Some background information

The CTC legal status use to be a company limited by guarantee, in 2012 the CLUB was converted to a charity and was passed by the vote of its membership at AGM.

In 2015 I think the memebers voted at AGM to do away with geographical representation of its board of directors and to reduce the size of the board of directors /trustees.
The aim was to select trustee of on skill set and not where the live.
In the case of ethnic and sexual diversity using the modal above it is a consideration, what counts is skill set and experience in how to run a charity.

The members voted for this you now must live with it. To undo these changes are not impossible but would take years of time and money.
BTW I voted against these changes.
I hope this helps.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic

Oldjohnw
Posts: 5727
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: CTC/CUK New Chair and new Trustees take their seats

Postby Oldjohnw » 8 Jan 2021, 1:18pm

Philip Benstead wrote:Some background information

The CTC legal status use to be a company limited by guarantee, in 2012 the CLUB was converted to a charity and was passed by the vote of its membership at AGM.

In 2015 I think the memebers voted at AGM to do away with geographical representation of its board of directors and to reduce the size of the board of directors /trustees.
The aim was to select trustee of on skill set and not where the live.
In the case of ethnic and sexual diversity using the modal above it is a consideration, what counts is skill set and experience in how to run a charity.

The members voted for this you now must live with it. To undo these changes are not impossible but would take years of time and money.
BTW I voted against these changes.
I hope this helps.


So does this mean that those who wanted it to remain a club were either in a minority or just didn't bother voting? Sounds like it was a democratic decision whichever case is true.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 8 Jan 2021, 2:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

User avatar
Philip Benstead
Posts: 1358
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 7:06pm
Location: Victoria , London

Re: CTC/CUK New Chair and new Trustees take their seats

Postby Philip Benstead » 8 Jan 2021, 1:52pm

Oldjohnw wrote:
Philip Benstead wrote:Some background information

The CTC legal status use to be a company limited by guarantee, in 2012 the CLUB was converted to a charity and was passed by the vote of its membership at AGM.

In 2015 I think the memebers voted at AGM to do away with geographical representation of its board of directors and to reduce the size of the board of directors /trustees.
The aim was to select trustee of on skill set and not where the live.
In the case of ethnic and sexual diversity using the modal above it is a consideration, what counts is skill set and experience in how to run a charity.

The members voted for this you now must live with it. To undo these changes are not impossible but would take years of time and money.
BTW I voted against these changes.
I hope this helps.


So does this mean that those who wanted it to remain a charity you mean the company I think?

were either in a minority or just didn't bother voting?


Figures for the AGM that made the decision

96% supported the change but very low numbers voting about 12% of members
Motion 2 For Against Abstain Total
Meeting Votes 40 1 0 41
Motion 2
Discr'y
Votes Held For Against
Meeting Votes 40 1
Proxy Votes 17 24 5
Chair Directed Votes 3,699 271
Chair Discretionary Votes 4,566 4,566
Total Votes Cast 8,329 277
(postal abstentions – 325)
%age Voting For the Motion 96.78%
Result Passed
Motion 3 For Against Abstai

Sounds like it was a democratic decision whichever case is true.



This subject has been discussed at length over a long time on this forum
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic

Oldjohnw
Posts: 5727
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: CTC/CUK New Chair and new Trustees take their seats

Postby Oldjohnw » 8 Jan 2021, 3:12pm

Thanks. I am not a member so strictly none of my business. I was just wondering why a status which was settled by a vote a decade ago is still argued about.

I have not followed the thread and will retreat I to silence again.
John