The end of Gift Aid

Philip Benstead

Re: The end of Gift Aid

Post by Philip Benstead »

Jdsk wrote:What are you saying... that's a very long quote of your own words that's labelled "Updated" but doesn't say what has changed.

Jonathan

Minor corrections
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Tompsk

Post by Tompsk »

Regarding the end of CUK gift aid on subscriptions, is this official? I ask as the page at:

https://www.cyclinguk.org/my_account/register-gift-aid

Is still up on the CUK website today (7th April 2021 - i.e. in the new tax year) clearly stating at the top of that page: "Under the Gift Aid scheme, we can also claim Gift Aid on membership subscriptions."

I was not a member at the time of conversion and NOT wanting to revisit that decision I can well understand the present disappointment of members of CUK who were involved on both sides that this has come about. Especially when I read the following (which is referenced on a popular information website to a document now no longer available on the CTC / CUK website). My emphasis - I'm unsure how the council could protect the benefits and so it was perhaps unwise, by whoever wrote this, to claim that they could?:

www.ctc.org.uk/file/member/201005006_0.pdf
Voting on CTC's future: "All these activities now qualify as charitable. With these benefits protected by the Council it must be in the interest of members to also grasp the benefits of Gift Aid on subscriptions. We can boost the income of the CTC by up to £100,000 a year – funding that can be used to support more cycling, more local groups and more campaigning. If we vote ‘no’ we are also turning away from public recognition. Society supports charitable organisations like ours financially because we can prove we make the world a better place – through charitable services to members and through our campaigning and promotion.

[Corrected today's date!]
Last edited by Tompsk on 7 Apr 2021, 6:01pm, edited 1 time in total.
PH

Post by PH »

Tompsk wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 4:30pm Regarding the end of CUK gift aid on subscriptions, is this official? I ask as the page at:
https://www.cyclinguk.org/my_account/register-gift-aid
Is still up on the CUK website today (17th April 2021 - i.e. in the new tax year) clearly stating at the top of that page: "Under the Gift Aid scheme, we can also claim Gift Aid on membership subscriptions."
I know it all merges together at present, but today is the 7th! Gift Aid ended seven days ago, as the email rotavator posted on the first page says. So unless something has changed, which seems unlikely, the website is still a few days behind.
Tompsk

Post by Tompsk »

PH wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 5:44pm I know it all merges together at present, but today is the 7th! Gift Aid ended seven days ago, as the email rotavator posted on the first page says. So unless something has changed, which seems unlikely, the website is still a few days behind.
Ooops!, now corrected, thanks for pointing that one out!
gaz

Post by gaz »

Tompsk wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 4:30pm Especially when I read the following (which is referenced on a popular information website to a document now no longer available on the CTC / CUK website). My emphasis - I'm unsure how the council could protect the benefits and so it was perhaps unwise, by whoever wrote this, to claim that they could?:

www.ctc.org.uk/file/member/201005006_0.pdf
Some things are lost forever, others just get harder to find. This example falls in the latter category: https://web.archive.org/web/20160304083 ... 5006_0.pdf

Posted on behalf of the CTC Charity Conversion Historical Re-enactment Society.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Good stuff gaz!

With hindsight, the picture labelled "Voting on the CTC's future" looks like a glimpse into the way ahead: struggling uphill on a rocky road .....
Philip Benstead

Save the CTC and others warn you this would happen, you only have your self to blame.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Speaking as an aunty, I feel vindicated. But we are now in 2021.
Philip Benstead

thirdcrank wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 7:48am Speaking as an aunty, I feel vindicated. But we are now in 2021.
Can anything be done?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Can anything be done?
My recommendations are to accept the situation and move on.
Philip Benstead

thirdcrank wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 8:53am
Can anything be done?
Move on to what?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Philip Benstead wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 8:55am
thirdcrank wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 8:53am
Can anything be done?
Move on to what?
I read that as recommending that we should discuss what should be done in the future.

Everyone's entitled to say "I told you so", but it's what happens from where we are now that matters.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Tompsk wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 6:00pm
PH wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 5:44pm I know it all merges together at present, but today is the 7th! Gift Aid ended seven days ago, as the email rotavator posted on the first page says. So unless something has changed, which seems unlikely, the website is still a few days behind.
When I look at https://www.cyclinguk.org/my_account/register-gift-aid still says you can register for Gift Aid.

Ian
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

thirdcrank wrote: ↑9 Apr 2021, 8:53am
Can anything be done?
Philip-Move on to what?---
OR WHERE?
Thirdcrank's RECOMENDATION? that Philip "move on" was surely a thinly veiled ultimatum that , in the light that nothing can be done, he should, as have so many other experienced long time members done, (and with 50% subs. increase for *we retired members) give up and go away?
Sadly Philip it seems you can do less than ever to retard the decline and destruction of what was our CTC /Cycling Club.
As pointed out earlier, the primary objective, governance of CUK is charitable works not member benefits.
The withdrawal of gift aid was inevitable when we enjoyed any significant member benefits.
Keep up the good work.
Tompsk

Post by Tompsk »

Psamathe wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 1:13pm
Tompsk wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 6:00pm
When I look at https://www.cyclinguk.org/my_account/register-gift-aid still says you can register for Gift Aid.

Ian
If that is the same page as I previously linked to then they do seem to have updated it.

From what I understand gift aid can still be claimed on donations, its just membership fees that no longer benefit from it.