AGM 2021 the use of motor vehicles.

Philip Benstead

AGM 2021 the use of motor vehicles.

Post by Philip Benstead »

CTC AGM 2021 MOTIONS

I am seeking support for these motions, can you help?

COMMENTS WELCOMED

DATE CORRECTED 28/04/2021 07:01:39

Motions x 3

All these motions have been redrafted to reflect comments I have received from various sources.
If you see any typographical errors, please point them out to me.
Please note my motions there is NO time deadline, so I am just giving a push to CTC to encourage its groups and itself to reconfigure its activities over a long-time frame to be environmentally benign.

I not suggesting we are going to exclude anybody, it just down to moral pressure.

Not all cyclists are Hard riders and can or have the time to ride long-distance or can stay away for many days.

I have no desired to encourage CTC members to leave our organisation for pastures anew.

I also do not think being concern about the environment is a freak show.

I am surprised by personal attacks, but they do make me laugh.

I am also surprised that the former trustee cannot see how poorly worked last year’s motion on flying was

AGM 2021

REDUCTION IN THE USE OF LOW PA0SSENAGER CAPACITY IN MOTOR VEHICLES

ORDINARY RESOLUTIONS

That CTC shall:
work toward a practical and realistic solution to achieve a reduction in the use of low passenger capacity in motor vehicles by encouraging shared use and the use of public transport to gain access to event venues.

To this end encourage the use of locations, promotion, and marketing of cycle rides, cycling holiday/tours and activities that encourage the use of public transport where available and if not share the use of motor vehicles.

Proposer’s note: The CTC
One of CTC objectives relates especially to the ‘promote the conservation and protection of the environment. That is negated if the motor vehicle is a single occupation. This increases a person’s annual carbon footprint and hence contributes to climate change.

Many events and cycle ride at the local level start at locations it impossible to get to unless a motor vehicle is used this practice should be reviewed.

The member survey indicated 71% support for ‘Encouraging cycle use to benefit the environment.

We propose that a progressive strategy reduce the promotion of cycling activities that involve only the use of motor vehicles.

WORD COUNT 158

CYCLE CARRIAGE ON TRAINS

ORDINARY RESOLUTIONS

That CTC shall:

• review Its cycle carriage on trains policy

• review Its engagement with Local Transport Groups Train Service Providers and National Rail etc

• In addition, the national office encourages local groups to engage directly with community rail partnerships to lobby for better cycle facilities both on trains (including removal of seats to create multi-use flexible space carriages as recently seen in Scotland) and at stations.

Engage in partnership with the European Cycling Federation to increase capacity in the UK the rest of Europe.

We recognise that we need to communicate effectively with influential stakeholder to gain support to reverse the underfunding and the lack of provision since privatization.

Many events and cycle rid0es at local, national, or internal level start at locations it impossible to get to unless air flight and motor vehicle are used to gain access to the start location.

The use of flexible space on trains is a quick, cheap, and easy way to increase capacity that has been recently taken up by Scot Rail
https://www.google.com/search?q=SCOTRAI ... 10&bih=542

WORD COUNT 154
HIGHWAY AGENCY

ORDINARY RESOLUTIONS

That CTC shall:
• seek funding for an officer to engage exclusively with the Highway Agency and similar bodies.

• review its policy on existing major road infrastructure etc and barriers it creates for cycling.

• seek to reduce the effects of existing barriers and seek to prevent the creation of new ones

With every prospect of a major infrastructure scheme that creates a physical barrier to cycling particularly affecting the new cyclist, we need influence planning at an early stage and is very time consuming and mean that it does not get the attention it desired by our hard-working staff.

WORD COUNT 99
Last edited by Philip Benstead on 28 Apr 2021, 7:17am, edited 4 times in total.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Jdsk

Re: AGM 2021 the use of motor vehicles.

Post by Jdsk »

Is this a serious proposal for the AGM or a sarcastic jibe at what happened with air travel?

Thanks

Jonathan
Philip Benstead

If I can get seconder I will put it forward
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Note an error in the wording "promotion of cycling activities that involve the use of motor vehicles", the event does not involve the use of motor vehicles, it is the choice of the participant. Wording should be "that may involve" which pretty much scuppers any national event. Not everybody can cycle to events or use public transport to reach the AGM or Birthday rides or other events. I thought Cuk was supposed to be "inclusive".
peterb

Post by peterb »

Totally unrealistic. If adopted i will probably not renew membership.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Reasons understood by many of us. Plenty can be done to discourage TDC, the tragedy of drive-cycling
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Philip Benstead

CTC AGM 2021

Motions x 2

I have no desired to encourage CTC memebers to leaver our organisation for pasture new. I also do not think to be concern about the environment is a freak show.

I am also surprised that former trustee cannot see how poorly worked last year’s motion on flying was

I have adjusted the motion slightly to make it more acceptable.

Also note the second motion regarding cycle carriage on trains.

COMMENTS WELCOMED
I am seeking a seconder for these motions

AGM 2021

USE OF LOW PASSENAGER CAPACITY MOTOR VEHICALS

ORDINARY RESOLUTIONS

That CTC shall work toward a practical and realistic reduction and eventual cessation of activities under its control of the provision, promotion and marketing of cycle rides, cycle holiday/tours and activities involving the use of low passenger capacity motor vehicles with due regard to disability access issues.

One of CTC objectives relates specially to the ‘promote the conservation and protection of the environment’. That is negated if the use of motor vehicle is encouraged by increasing a person’s annual carbon footprint and hence contributes to climate change.
Many events and cycle rides at local level start at locations it impossible to get to unless a motor vehicle is used.
The member survey indicated 71% support for ‘Encouraging cycle use to benefit the environment’.
We propose that a progressive strategy to reduce, and ultimately stop, promotion of cycling activities that involve the use of motor vehicles.

The current promotion is in the form of cycle rides, sportive, Audax’s, articles, and advertisements its publication involving the use of motor vehicles.

WORD COUNT 172

AGM 2021

CYCLE CARRIAGE ON TRAINS

ORDINARY RESOLUTIONS

That CTC shall:

• review Its cycle carriage on trains campaign activities to increase capacity in the UK
• work with others including the European Cycling Federation to increase capacity in the UK the rest of Europe.

Many events and cycle rides at local, national, OR internal level start at locations it impossible to get to unless a motor vehicle is used.

One of CTC objectives relates specially to the ‘promote the conservation and protection of the environment’. That is negated if the use of air flights and motor vehicles are encouraged by lack of capacity for cycle carriage on trains.

A person’s annual carbon footprint and hence contributes to climate change could be reduced if travel over long distance was undertaken by trains instead of planes or low passenger capacity motor vehicles.

WORD COUNT 142

I have no desired to encourage CTC memebers to leaver our organisation for pasture new. I also do not think to be concern about the environment is a freak show.

I am also surprised that former trustee cannot see how poorly worked last year’s motion on flying was

COMMENTS WELCOMED

AGM 2021

USE OF LOW PASSENAGER CAPACITY MOTOR VEHICALS

ORDINARY RESOLUTIONS

That CTC shall work toward a practical and realistic reduction and eventual cessation of activities under its control of the provision, promotion and marketing of cycle rides, cycle holiday/tours and activities involving the use of low passenger capacity motor vehicles with due regard to disability access issues.

One of CTC objectives relates specially to the ‘promote the conservation and protection of the environment’. That is negated if the use of motor vehicle is encouraged by increasing a person’s annual carbon footprint and hence contributes to climate change.

Many events and cycle rides at local level start at locations it impossible to get to unless a motor vehicle is used.

The member survey indicated 71% support for ‘Encouraging cycle use to benefit the environment’.

We propose that a progressive strategy to reduce, and ultimately stop, promotion of cycling activities that involve the use of motor vehicles.

The current promotion is in the form of cycle rides, sportive, Audax’s, articles, and advertisements its publication involving the use of motor vehicles.

WORD COUNT 172

AGM 2021

CYCLE CARRIAGE ON TRAINS

ORDINARY RESOLUTIONS

That CTC shall review its:

• cycle carriage on trains policy
• campaign activities to increase capacity in the UK
• work with others including the European Cycling Federation to increase capacity in the rest of Europe.

One of CTC objectives relates specially to the ‘promote the conservation and protection of the environment’. That is negated if the use of air flights and motor vehicles are encouraged by lack of capacity for cycle carriage on trains.

A person’s annual carbon footprint and hence contributes to climate change could be reduced if travel over long distance was undertaken by trains instead of planes or low passenger capacity motor vehicles.

Many events and cycle rides at local level or national level start at locations it impossible to get to unless a motor vehicle is used.

WORD COUNT 148
Philip Benstead

CTC AGM 2021
Motions x 2
Please note on both of my motions there is NO time deadline, so I am just giving a push to CTC to encourage 0its groups and itself to reconfigure its activities over a long-time frame to be environmentally benign.
I not suggesting we are going to exclude anybody, down to moral pressure.
Not all cyclists are Hard riders and can or have the time to ride long-distance or can stay away for many days.
I have no desired to encourage CTC members to leave our organisation for pastures new. I also do not think being concern about the environment is a freak show.
I am also surprised that the former trustee cannot see how poorly worked last year’s motion on flying was

COMMENTS WELCOMED

AGM 2021

Motions X 2
USE OF LOW PA0SSENAGER CAPACITY MOTOR VEHICLES
ORDINARY RESOLUTIONS
That CTC shall work toward a practical and realistic reduction and eventual cessation of activities under its control of the provision, promotion, and marketing of cycle rides, cycling holiday/tours and activities involving the use of low passenger capacity motor vehicles to access the activity with due regard to disability access issues.
One of CTC objectives relates especially to the ‘promote the conservation and protection of the environment. That is negated if the use of a motor vehicle is encouraged by increasing a person’s annual carbon footprint and hence contributes to climate change.
Many events and cycle rides at the local level start at locations it impossible to get to unless a motor vehicle is used.
The member survey indicated 71% support for ‘Encouraging cycle use to benefit the environment.
We propose that a progressive strategy reduce, and ultimately stop, the promotion of cycling activities that involve the use of motor vehicles.

WORD COUNT 178

AGM 2021

CYCLE CARRIAGE ON TRAINS
ORDINARY RESOLUTIONS
That CTC shall:
• review Its cycle carriage on trains campaign activities to increase capacity in the UK
• work with others including the European Cycling Federation to increase capacity in the UK the rest of Europe.
Many events and cycle rid0es at local, national, or internal level start at locations it impossible to get to unless an air flights and motor vehicle is used to gain access to the start location.
One of CTC objectives relates especially to the ‘promote the conservation and protection of the environment. That is negated if the use of air flights and motor vehicles are encouraged by lack of capacity for cycle carriage on trains.
A person’s annual carbon footprint and hence contributes to climate change could be reduced if travel over a long distance was undertaken by trains instead of air flights or low passenger capacity motor vehicles.

WORD COUNT 154
Philip Benstead

WORD COUNT 160

CTC AGM 2021
Motions x 3

All these motions have been redrafted to reflect comments I have received from various sources.
Please note my motions there is NO time deadline, so I am just giving a push to CTC to encourage 0its groups and itself to reconfigure its activities over a long-time frame to be environmentally benign.
I not suggesting we are going to exclude anybody, down to moral pressure.
I have no desired to encourage CTC members to leave our organisation for pastures new. I also do not think being concern about the environment is a freak show.

COMMENTS WELCOMED

AGM 2021

Motions X 2
ORDINARY RESOLUTIONS
That CTC shall work toward in its activities under its control of a practical and realistic reduction in the use of low passenger capacity in motor vehicles. To this end reduction in provision, promotion, and marketing of cycle rides, cycling holiday/tours and activities that encourage the share of motor vehicles and the use of public transport where avilable0.
One of CTC objectives relates especially to the ‘promote the conservation and protection of the environment. That is negated if motor vehicle is single occupation by increasing a person’s annual carbon footprint and hence contributes to climate change.
Many events and cycle rides at the local level start at locations it impossible to get to unless a motor vehicle is used.
We propose that a progressive strategy reduce the promotion of cycling activities that involve the only the use of motor vehicles.

WORD COUNT 158

AGM 2021

CYCLE CARRIAGE ON TRAINS
ORDINARY RESOLUTIONS
That CTC shall:
• review Its engagement with Local Transport Groups) Train Service Providers and National Rail etc
• In addition, national office encourages local groups to engage directly with community rail partnerships to lobby for better cycle facilities both on trains (including removal of seats to create multi-use carriages as recently seen in Scotland) and at stations.
Engauge with the European Cycling Federation in partnership to increase capacity in the UK the rest of Europe.
We recognise that we need to communicate effectively with influential stakeholder to gain support to reverse the underfunding and the lack provision since privatization.
Many events and cycle rid0es at local, national, or internal level start at locations it impossible to get to unless an air flights and motor vehicle is used to gain access to the start location.
The use of flexible space on trains is a quick, cheap and easy way to increase capacity that has been recently taken up by Scot Rail https://www.google.com/search?q=scotrai ... GewGggMghM

WORD COUNT 154
HIGHWAY AGERNCY

ORDINARY RESOLUTIONS
That CTC shall:
• seek funding for an officer to engaged exclusively with the Highway Agency and similar bodies.
• review it policy on existing major road infrastructure etc and barriers it creates for cycling.
• seek to reduce the effects of existing barriers and seek to prevent the creation of new ones
With ever prospect of major infrastructure scheme that create physical barrier to cycling particularly effecting the new cyclist, we need influence planning at early stage and is very time consuming and mean that it does not get the attention it desired by our hard-working staff.
Philip Benstead

CTC AGM 2021 MOTIONS

I am seeking support for these motions, can you help?

COMMENTS WELCOMED

DATE CORRECTED 28/04/2021 07:01:39

Motions x 3

If you see any typographical errors, please point them out to me.
Please note my motions there is NO time deadline, so I am just giving a push to CTC to encourage its groups and itself to reconfigure its activities over a long-time frame to be environmentally benign.

I not suggesting we are going to exclude anybody, it just down to moral pressure.

I have no desired to encourage CTC members to leave our organisation for pastures anew.

I also do not think being concern about the environment is a freak show.

AGM 2021

ORDINARY RESOLUTIONS

That CTC shall:
work toward a practical and realistic solution to achieve a reduction in the use of low passenger capacity in motor vehicles by encouraging shared use and the use of public transport to gain access to event venues.

To this end encourage the use of locations, promotion, and marketing of cycle rides, cycling holiday/tours and activities that encourage the use of public transport where available and if not share the use of motor vehicles.

One of CTC objectives relates especially to the ‘promote the conservation and protection of the environment. That is negated if the motor vehicle is a single occupation. This increases a person’s annual carbon footprint and hence contributes to climate change.

Many events and cycle ride at the local level start at locations it impossible to get to unless a motor vehicle is used this practice should be reviewed.

We propose that a progressive strategy reduce the promotion of cycling activities that involve only the use of motor vehicles.

WORD COUNT 158

CYCLE CARRIAGE ON TRAINS

ORDINARY RESOLUTIONS

That CTC shall:

• review Its engagement with Local Transport Groups Train Service Providers and National Rail etc

• In addition, the national office encourages local groups to engage directly with community rail partnerships to lobby for better cycle facilities both on trains (including removal of seats to create multi-use flexible space carriages as recently seen in Scotland) and at stations.

Engage in partnership with the European Cycling Federation to increase capacity in the UK the rest of Europe.

We recognise that we need to communicate effectively with influential stakeholder to gain support to reverse the underfunding and the lack of provision since privatization.

Many events and cycle rid0es at local, national, or internal level start at locations it impossible to get to unless air flight and motor vehicle are used to gain access to the start location.

The use of flexible space on trains is a quick, cheap, and easy way to increase capacity that has been recently taken up by Scot Rail
https://www.google.com/search?q=SCOTRAI ... 10&bih=542

WORD COUNT 154
HIGHWAY AGENCY

ORDINARY RESOLUTIONS

That CTC shall:
• seek funding for an officer to engage exclusively with the Highway Agency and similar bodies.

• review its policy on existing major road infrastructure etc and barriers it creates for cycling.

With every prospect of a major infrastructure scheme that creates a physical barrier to cycling particularly affecting the new cyclist, we need influence planning at an early stage and is very time consuming and mean that it does not get the attention it desired by our hard-working staff.

WORD COUNT 99
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

"Encouraging cycle use to benefit the environment", I really can not support that phrase. I hope you mean "encouraging transfer from car to cycle"

We really must try to stop advocating " more cycling" without mentioning reducing motor travel!
Philip Benstead

Cyril Haearn wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 12:02pm "Encouraging cycle use to benefit the environment", I really can not support that phrase. I hope you mean "encouraging transfer from car to cycle"

We really must try to stop advocating " more cycling" without mentioning reducing motor travel!

"Encouraging cycle use to benefit the environment", that is not my phase , it's CTC , I would say benign to the environment.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do not want more cycling before there is (1) more space for cycling and (2) less motor traffic

You mentioned driving to events, if there are more events, more driving to events, and more cycling, -2

Simply advocating 'more cycling', often the media understand it thus, is not desirable
Philip Benstead

Cyril Haearn wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 3:04pm I do not want more cycling before there is (1) more space for cycling and (2) less motor traffic

You mentioned driving to events, if there are more events, more driving to events, and more cycling, -2

Simply advocating 'more cycling', often the media understand it thus, is not desirable
I suggest you write a motion to reflect your view and submit IT for the AGM. I doing my best.