Bike week

Philip Benstead

Bike week

Post by Philip Benstead »

Is it just me can anybody find BW event in their area?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
ClappedOut

Re: Bike week

Post by ClappedOut »

No but my Boy who won't go to bed has seen competition and filled it in as he liked the bicycle prize offered :wink: we won't win as we never do- but he is hopeful so I entered as well.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Looks tome like there are only 19 events across the entire country (as far as I can see) so bound to be very localised. I'm sure they'll be getting more organised or it will look something of a "flop".

Ian
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

The lack of events is a shame - especially now summer weather has finally arrived! - but understandable with C***d.

Harder to plan in advance (e.g. venue/hall bookings), and you need people to sign-up in advance to control group sizes. A real pain :-(
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Organised my own family ride and caught a picture of inter city 125 I believe.
Attachments
IMG_20210603_180231.jpg
mjr

Post by mjr »

Our local group has had more rides than usual but not listed on the Bike Week website because it takes more volunteer time than we had. We have often asked in past years for the listings to be easier but no change yet.

edit: where is the listings page this year? I did not find it!
ClappedOut wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 6:48pm Organised my own family ride and caught a picture of inter city 125 I believe.
That's a Voyager. Not the famous 125, but can do 125, but has hooks to hang bikes and often smells of hot poo (due to the engine exhaust running by the sewage tanks).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 7:31pm Our local group has had more rides than usual but not listed on the Bike Week website because it takes more volunteer time than we had. We have often asked in past years for the listings to be easier but no change yet.

Where were you listing them? I listed four for my MG, on the usual events page and just ticked the box designating them Bike Week events, took around ten minutes though the main detail was copied and pasted from our existing rides calendar. Pretty pointless of course if no one can find it, it's there somewhere but ICBA to go looking again, it isn't where it should be, prominent on the front page.
Three of the four rides wee reasonably well attended, a couple of new riders, but thanks to our own efforts rather than anything from CUK. The group may bother again, but I don't think I'll be involved.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 8:54pm
mjr wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 7:31pm Our local group has had more rides than usual but not listed on the Bike Week website because it takes more volunteer time than we had. We have often asked in past years for the listings to be easier but no change yet.

Where were you listing them? I listed four for my MG, on the usual events page and just ticked the box designating them Bike Week events, took around ten minutes though the main detail was copied and pasted from our existing rides calendar. Pretty pointless of course if no one can find it, it's there somewhere but ICBA to go looking again, it isn't where it should be, prominent on the front page.
We used to list them on the bike week website when it had its own domain. I don't know what you call "the usual events page" but we are not an MG and maybe non-CUK groups are no longer welcome in Bike Week.

Similar to your experience, we never knowingly had a new rider from Bike Week promotion rather than the efforts of our volunteers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

ClappedOut wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 6:48pm Organised my own family ride and caught a picture of inter city 125 I believe.
That's a Voyager. Not the famous 125, but can do 125, but has hooks to hang bikes and often smells of hot poo (due to the engine exhaust running by the sewage tanks).
:lol: Nice design and noted I'm not a train expert
gaz

Post by gaz »

mjr wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 7:31pmedit: where is the listings page this year? I did not find it!
Here, under 50 events listed. There's a separate list with a dozen or so virtual webinar events.

Based on very limited local experience Cycling UK BBR style events have been happening that do not appear on the list. My anecdotal conclusion is that the effort:reward ratio of what is essentially a local event appearing on a national listing is perceived as very high:very low.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade