The Telegraph????

Joe Knight

The Telegraph????

Post by Joe Knight »

I was very disappointed to open the envelope for my December/January copy of Cycle and have an advertisement for the Telegraph newspaper staring up at me. The Telegraph is flag waving supporter of the conservative party and I do not think that it should have been conveyed to me in this way. Leaving aside my politics, what has the Telegraph ever done for cycling or indeed the environment in which we cycle?

I have no issues with political parties or newspapers trying to connect with the public in general. However I do not expect a right wing bias newspaper to be proffered to me alongside my subscription cycling magazine.

Poor judgement CYCLE. Leave the newspapers out, whatever their political ilk.
Tangled Metal

Re: The Telegraph????

Post by Tangled Metal »

It's a magazine that's got to be commercially viable or it won't get published. Whilst I don't see it as having readers that interested in newspaper ad from any part of the political spectrum. Most would probably prefer shimano, SRAM, cervelo or spa cycles to advertise instead. However there's going to be tories, militant tendency, Labour, Green Party and even Liberal Democrats reading it. Perhaps there's enough tories reading to make it worthwhile. Not your call I'm afraid.

BTW was the rest of it to your liking?
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Let 'Cycle' pocket the advertising revenue but don't let the advertisers know that 100% of 'Cycle' readers consign such leaflets straight to the recycling without even looking at them :lol:
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Joe Knight wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 10:27am what has the Telegraph ever done for cycling
A lot, if you are old enough to remember that in the 1970s the Telegraph was about the only newspaper to carry reports of cycle racing. Daily reports of the 3 major tours and domestic big events for example.

I did not even notice what the insertions with Cycle were; they automatically go in the bin. Just like those in the weekend supplement of whatever newspaper I happen to buy.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In the days when it was almost impossible to get any bike racing info in the British media JB "Jock" Wadley was the cycling correspondent of the Daily Telegraph. He was succeeded by Phil Liggett.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jock_Wadley
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Liggett

PS I'm reminded that this morning's Stella supplement was missing :wink:
millimole

Post by millimole »

tatanab wrote:
I did not even notice what the insertions with Cycle were; they automatically go in the bin. Just like those in the weekend supplement of whatever newspaper I happen to buy.
I suspect this is the case with the vast majority of recipients of these scraps of paper - straight in the bin.
I guess it's cheap advertising, and perhaps a 1 in 10000 (or less) response is considered respectable.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

millimole wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 5:36pm
tatanab wrote:
I suspect this is the case with the vast majority of recipients of these scraps of paper - straight in the bin.
I guess it's cheap advertising, and perhaps a 1 in 10000 (or less) response is considered respectable.
It was certainly the case for me. I didn't notice the Torygraph ad.
Richard M
Cardiff
Joe Knight

Post by Joe Knight »

Always open to a history lesson regarding the yester-year cycle reporting by the Telegraph. Genuinely interesting to know. However I stand by my comments. I do not want to see newspapers being included in my subscription magazine. Yes I accept the comments about advertising revenue which I stated in the original post. I don't think that CYCLE would sink were it not for that choice of advertisement tangled metal, and yes I did enjoy the rest (assuming you mean the magazine and not the other included ads :wink: )
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

tatanab wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 10:06am
Joe Knight wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 10:27am what has the Telegraph ever done for cycling
A lot, if you are old enough to remember that in the 1970s the Telegraph was about the only newspaper to carry reports of cycle racing. Daily reports of the 3 major tours and domestic big events for example.
It was exceptionally good on reporting many minority sports. When I was involved in competitive rifle shooting and ocean racing it was often the only national newspaper that carried results.

I've read it for about sixty years. Always reactionary. Used to have a hilarious page 3 describing the mating habits of the privileged. Now disappearing off into unpleasant and destructive politics.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'd rather not receive anything of this sort because of the environmental impact.

Jonathan
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

It was exceptionally good on reporting many minority sports.

Jonathan
You are right about minority sports reporting. Some of the few times that my name has appeared in print was when I used to compete in orienteering.
Malky 1422

Post by Malky 1422 »

I have to agree this should be left out of Cycling. We are a membership group for cycling not politics. I almost left Cycling Uk when all the BLM George Floyd was being spouted on their pages of Facebook. Keep this stuff out of Cycling it isnt what I joined for back in 1978.
Last edited by Malky 1422 on 25 Jan 2023, 4:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjb

Post by rjb »

millimole wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 5:36pm
tatanab wrote:
I save up all those advertising insertions until I receive one in the post with a SAE. I then post them all off, recycling them back to where they came with a bonus. :wink: keeps the postie's in jobs. What's not to like. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D