CTC - does it want members?

robgul

Re: CTC - does it want members?

Post by robgul »

Something like Touring Cyclist's Club ? (the apostrophe could be in either position "one" cyclist's or "many" cyclists' )

Now there's a thought .... TCC ... has a sort of ring to it

Rob
[/quote]

When and where do we start?
[/quote]

On a purely hypothetical basis .... although I'm sure it would be interesting to get a grass-roots understanding of potential members' expectations (if only to compare with the incumbent) .. what would your expectations be of such a club? (Structure, aims, objectives, activities, costs, governance etc)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

robgul wrote:Something like Touring Cyclist's Club ? (the apostrophe could be in either position "one" cyclist's or "many" cyclists' )

Now there's a thought .... TCC ... has a sort of ring to it

Rob

When and where do we start?

On a purely hypothetical basis .... although I'm sure it would be interesting to get a grass-roots understanding of potential members' expectations (if only to compare with the incumbent) .. what would your expectations be of such a club? (Structure, aims, objectives, activities, costs, governance etc)

Rob

Structure =loose
Aims,objectives,= mutual help for club members with similar outlook(ie touring)
Activities=members could determine these but rallies,both UK and continental,spring to mind
costs= I haven't a clue but none profit making,without a top table sucking out money.
Governance =none heirarchical with open books at all levels and no politricks.

I've never been a real clubman to be honest,as my work and family took up too much of my time.But I've never liked clicks,nudges and winks behind the scenes,that determine what closed groups tend to get upto.Openess is desirable,people in far away places do thing to suit themselves,local people are answerable locally.
Call me naive if you will.

What about your ideas?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Si

Post by Si »

Ah, but now we get back to the old bug bear of how you actually define touring!
For instance I'd call my commute 'touring' because I do it for pleasure not because I have to (train is quicker).
Likewise, my MTBing is also touring (just off road and with plenty of 'thrill-seeking' stuff) - a definition that I know that a few of the older hands in my club might disagree with.
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

reohn2 wrote:I'd like to join a cyclist touring club(or even start one) with emphasis on the members and cycle touring if anyone's knows of one or fancies starting one give me a shout

[quote=Rob]

When and where do we start?[/quote]

After the AGM would be pertinent. It depends on the outcome of the vote. We cannot be complacent if the resolution is thrown out. There is much to be done to improve The Cyclists' Touring Club even if it remains seperate from The Trust. I think the club being allowed to use a different name to the Trust might help.

We must remember that our Club needs improving, and continuing to allow the same people to run both organisations may not be the best way to continue.

Management and the Yes Councillors believe the Trust and Club are currently run jointly; but I do not believe this to be so. There was a time when CTC sought to increase the Membership. Now the focus is on increasing the £££ coming in from handouts. If the CTC does not focus on increasing and retaining members there will be much less for the Club to donate to the Trust each year to balance its accounts.

Of course any change to how The Club Membership is administered and serviced will have to be made via Council. That is going to be the challenge. Also, a careful look at the accounts and budgets of The Club is needed to ascertain whether The Club can actually afford to donate large sums of cash each year to The Trust. That decision is also down to Council.

As well as "when and where do we start?", there is also the how? We must assume that it will require insurance, both for riders and organisers. To me, that is the over-riding concern when considering anything like this. I do know that somebody is already looking into this.
workhard

Post by workhard »

Si wrote:

Ah, but now we get back to the old bug bear of how you actually define touring!
For instance I'd call my commute 'touring' because I do it for pleasure not because I have to (train is quicker).
Likewise, my MTBing is also touring (just off road and with plenty of 'thrill-seeking' stuff) - a definition that I know that a few of the older hands in my club might disagree with.

The Non-Competitive Cyclists Club. TNCCC
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

In spite of Karen's post about the TCC :oops: I'd suggest that the Cyclists' Touring Club is an ideal name for a national cycling club covering all forms of non-competitive cycling. It's my impression that many of the innovative types would have preferred to have dropped the name a long time ago. (That's why it was so pointlessly decided the standard form would be ctc, although I think we are back to CTC. Anybody concerned that the words 'touring' and 'club' are too closely associated with tweed plusses and toe-clips has obviously never been asked what the initials CTC stand for.)

If the ideal situation is reached - which for me would be a membership organisation for leisure cyclists alongside a campaigning charity, then the former could properly continue as the CTC AKA Cyclists' Touring Club and the latter might be TCC - The Cycling Charity, although given the antipathy of some towards the definite article, they might prefer plain old CC.

One big advantage for me would be that I still have an embroidered cloth CTC badge somewhere (see pic of me at Whitby in the 1973 thread.) I was looking for it yesterday and I found a BLRC cloth badge - not mine it was the BCF by the time I got a licence.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Well Council - are you reading this?

I think that it would be a good idea for the "Moderators" to bring all this to the attention of Council.
Si

Post by Si »

JohnW wrote:Well Council - are you reading this?

I think that it would be a good idea for the "Moderators" to bring all this to the attention of Council.

If anyone ever feels that a thread is of such importance that you think Council should take an interest.....then please feel free to email them a link to it. The Councillor's email addresses are all to be found on the main CTC website: link at tiop of this page - http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4409
although why it's held as a word doc is anyone's guess :roll:
workhard

Post by workhard »

and if you do e-mail them, put a read receipt on, cos there is very little chance ime of a reply.

far.
too.
grand.

:roll:
thirdcrank

Credit where it's due.

Post by thirdcrank »

I was on the point of completing my proxy form last night* when I realised the number on my membership card was already illegible - the wallet moths can get hungry, I suppose. I emailed the membership department and their 100% helpful reply was timed at something like 0930. IMO very good service - I can't be the only one contacting them for this sort of info.

* And the way I'm voting will remain a closely kept secret. :wink:
san0

Commuted Membership Expiry Date???

Post by san0 »

Tandem Man wrote:In the end I took out a "five years for the price of four" membership as I couldn't stand the hassle every year.
Ian

So I took the plunge - as above didn't want to send in a cheque every year, didn't want to set up a DD either. I enjoy reading the mag, and participating in this forum. The insurance gives piece of mind.

My card came back promptly but the valid until date is next year 2013!!! Do they send 'commuted' cards out annually then? Or should I get them to change the date to be valid until 2017?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

The one star in the CTC's firmament is a lady called Sue Cherry. She isn't responsible for everything, but I have found that she will either give you the correct contact person for these issues or she will contact them for you, and ask them to contact you.

We've had several issues of this sort in our Section (called "Member Groups" now) and members and even our section secretary have had little joy until I contacted this lady, who was really helpful and efficient.

Best of luck.

CTC Sue Cherry
E-mail Address(es):
Sue.Cherry_at_CTC.ORG.UK
Tandem Man

Re: Commuted Membership Expiry Date???

Post by Tandem Man »

san0 wrote:
Tandem Man wrote:In the end I took out a "five years for the price of four" membership as I couldn't stand the hassle every year.
Ian

So I took the plunge - as above didn't want to send in a cheque every year, didn't want to set up a DD either. I enjoy reading the mag, and participating in this forum. The insurance gives piece of mind.

My card came back promptly but the valid until date is next year 2013!!! Do they send 'commuted' cards out annually then? Or should I get them to change the date to be valid until 2017?

No they don't send them out every year you need to return it to get the proper date on it.

Ian
Ian From Wakefield