CTC - does it want members?

chuggalong

CTC - does it want members?

Post by chuggalong »

I have been a member of the CTC since 1984 and for some years prior to that before work and family intervened.

My membership gets renewed annually by direct debit at the beginning of November. However when that date passed with no fee drawn from my bank account and no member card received I contacted the membership department.

It took a lenghty telephone call, two e mails, three different staff members and seven weeks before the issue was resolved.

In this current economic climate CTC membership could be viewed as a 'nice to have' as opposed to a 'must have' requirement. Such a disappointing and indifferent attitude from representitives of the club could have a negative effect on renewals.

Should I name and shame?!
wkb21

Post by wkb21 »

A well timed posting. I have the same problem. I was sent a new membership card that expires on the same date as the one I have had for a year. I now have a replacement but can't get a response from membership dept. to confirm whether they have taken money off me yet. No reply to phone; no return of call after leaving a message; no evidence that anyone is interested in treating members as valued.

I presume that membership renewal is contracted out and some contractor is making a lot of money out of CTC for providing a service that is unmonitored. If CTC staff are responsible, someone needs a severe bollocking.

A response from the service provider would be useful. IS ANYONE THERE??!!

KB
Si

Post by Si »

When I was sent one with the same date as my expiring one in December I got an immediate response from the membership dep. They assured me that despite the wrong date on the card I was still fully paid up for another year, and promptly sent me another card.

Although it is handy to use the forum to flag up the problems that a number of people have had with membership renewal, please don't expect making the point on the forum will necessarily get it to the attention of anyone at HO - there are far too many posts made on the forum for them to dedicate time to reading and acting on them all.

However, one of the new councillors, last year, offered to chase up any issues with membership if you passed on your problem's detail to him. I believe that he has been successful or a number of people. If you bear with me I will go off and try to find his contact details for you.
Last edited by Si on 6 Jan 2009, 12:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Si

Post by Si »

The bloke that you want is Regulator:

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/profile.php?mod ... file&u=558
glueman

Post by glueman »

I had a similar issue, I wanted to add my children to my wife and my membership. It's completely impossible until the current annual membership runs out. I argued the toss but to no avail. It would revert my near 30 year membership to zero or something apparently. Still seems very odd.
Si

Post by Si »

Having just spoken to HO regarding the OP and first two replies I am informed that they do take these things very seriously and will look into any problems that arise....if you have membership issues then please get in touch with HO/the membership dept as a first point of departure rather than raising the issue here.

Although issues do arise with membership from time to time, we have to remember that this is an organisation dealing with 60 or 70000 members so it is inevitable that there will be some problems, however, this does not mean that the majority of members have problems and thus no potential new members should be put off by seeing threads like this...chances are things will be fine.
wkb21

Post by wkb21 »

This misses the point entirely. If you phone a CTC service line (paying for it by the minute) and no-one picks it up, or replies to a message left, then in frustration you moan on this forum. You find others with the same problem.
There is something wrong! At its simplest, the job is not staffed adequately. But from what we've heard so far, there are other issues. If CTC does not listen, then it won't solve the problems.

Having said all this, for those thinking of joining, it's the best value for money of any organisation I have ever joined. But I expect CTC to listen!
Last edited by wkb21 on 8 Jan 2009, 11:13am, edited 1 time in total.
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

doubtless the National Office staffer who tells us that there isn't a problem will make an appearance on this thread.

I know there's a problem. The person who got me to join, a member since 1984, has not been able to renew. I hear that telephone calls are not answered, and messages not returned. I await with interest the publication of the final version of Mick Simmonds report. I await also an explanation of the commuted membership four for the price of five mishap...

My suggestion would be to go through a National Councillor. In doing so, you achieve three things - you alert the Councillor to the problem (and there has been some denial over the past three years), you get to see the Councillor in action, and you stand a better chance of getting a response. If you're in doubt about the identity of your National Councillor, then get in touch with Regulator (aka Greg Price). Not only is he persistent, he's also sensationally good looking!
chuggalong

Post by chuggalong »

....if you have membership issues then please get in touch with HO/the membership dept as a first point of departure rather than raising the issue here.
[quote]

In my case the first person I spoke to on the telephone (after a lengthy hold) said there was an IT problem which he would follow up and took my e mail address to reply to me. Nothing was done and I never heard from him again. Curiously enough I started to receive e mail newsletters from the club. I never had them before!

The second person replied to my e mail apologising and saying they would sort the problem. They even followed up with a personal letter re-iterating this. Well they did sort it........in a way. My bank account was debited but I did not receive a membership card. It took another e mail to resolve that.

Any large organisation can make mistakes. I understand that. However it is how faults are addressed that seperates a professional business from a, well let's say, a not so professional business.

Certainly by completely ignoring an enquiry or partly applying to it, is not the way to conclude the matter.
Tandem Man

Post by Tandem Man »

I see things haven't changed over the last few years.

I had horrendous problems three years ago,both renewing my own and my wifes membership and getting the magazine.

In the end I took out a "five years for the price of four" membership as I couldn't stand the hassle every year.

Only problem is that it expires next year,oh dear.

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A purely practical point:

For a lot of the CTC stuff, this issue is more one of annoyance and frustration than anything else - it shouldn't happen but it's no big deal.

BUT (and that's a big but) one of the most valuable benefits of CTC membership (in £££ terms) is the 3rd party insurance. Don't go causing the cyclist's equivalent of the Great Heck Train Crash (or even a fairly teenie weenie bump where anybody else is hurt) unless you are 100% sure your membership is current. Not all the bland reassurances on earth are worth a fig if that happens.

My renewal is in April, and if I have any problem, I tend to think that whichever toothless omsbuddy deals with insurance issues will be an early point of call.
Graham

Post by Graham »

thirdcrank wrote: . . . one of the most valuable benefits of CTC membership (in £££ terms) is the 3rd party insurance.

Ah but the TP insurance is mainly intended to cover you when you crash into other cyclists in the group during the club runs - a popular pastime :wink: . . . . . . . so if you don't cycle in a group you don't really need it :idea:
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

don't go there! Did you not read the reports of the Scottish case? The man sued his clubmates for £370,000!

The Third Party insurance is especially worth having if you get hit by somebody else. The offender's insurers will launch a counter-claim, which is designed to stop you claiming. Having insurance will help you face this down.
wkb21

No change here then - -

Post by wkb21 »

Others have assured us that the service from membership dept is good. I have no evidence that things are improving. After almost 2 months trying to renew my membership, I have received my second new membership card with an expiry date in the past. CTC has taken my money, my monthly magazine has not arrived this year, I don't know whether I am a current member, or insured. When I call the membership department at my cost, "all our operators are busy - - - " etc.

The very civil letter with my new membership card (expiry date 31/01/1999) is signed by - - - "Kevin Mayne, Director" - well, by his facsimile signature. I presume that's where the buck stops.

I am confident that Kevin will be able to explain.
360fix

Post by 360fix »

I also had a lot of unnecessary aggravation when I took out (my first) membership last year. Got it sorted in the end and they apologized but it does take the shine off things. Any chance someone could send them a link to this thread? I am sure they would be grateful for the opportunity to improve the service.