CTC on Facebook

PhilWhitehurst

Re: CTC on Facebook

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

If Facebook is full of students and school kids and the CTC wants to attract younger members. Then being on Facebook is a good thing. Some would argue that they should have stuck to news letters in the mail and not bothered spending money on a website and email. Sometimes we forget where we've come from and how much easier it is to connect with each other these days.
Si

Post by Si »

What Phil says makes sense to me. So does what cranky1 one says.

Facebook offers excellent opportunities for connecting with a new audience and allowing more involvement from the current ones, at very little cost. But, of course, only if it's done right. There was an 'inclusiveness' study being done a while ago,looking at how Net2.0 could be best exploited by the CTC for the benefit of its members and potential members (I got slightly involved on the forum side), but I think that various other, shall we say "time-consuming", issues got in the way, and I don't know what the out come was. Gordon Seabright, our new man at the helm, seems interested in this area so it may get back on track now.

Alas, there will always be those that pore scorn on anything new, or associated with the younger generation, and the CTC does have an image for being a bit of a conservative/traditionalist organisation. It's my view that not just embracing but really championing such technologies helps to drag us kicking and screaming into the modern age...just look at how well the LCC has done out of them.
Penfold
Location: Black Country in the heart of England (Gods country)

Post by Penfold »

As a former Facebook user.....It's OK I'm better now...... :twisted:

My thoughts are these, people who have an interest in cycling will use the entire web to search for their interest.
Just because you are young and a FB user does not automaticaly mean that you will search for the CTC on that medium, or even dare I say, join the club.

The association of lightweight campers (ALC) dumped their Yahoo forum group in favour of FB in an effort to attract young members. When I looked last (three minutes ago) there were 26 'likes' on that FB page so not a roaring success. (IMHO)

Dont get me wrong I agree FB is just another tool in the box available to the team that have to raise awareness of cycling but, please dont push to go the whole hog down the FB road, it may not deliver the results 'we' want.
I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything,
I still believe that people are really good at heart.
- Anne Frank

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
- Winston Churchill
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mrsbloomsburybarton wrote: Maybe your bike could become friends with mine :lol:

My bike is a Hussy - I allowed that to happen once and look what happened, despite all my advice on puncture protection!

Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thread resurrection alert

I know there are some reasons not to use farce book, but whatabout twitter, is that more trustworthy, how do the two 'social networks' differ?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Thread resurrection alert

I know there are some reasons not to use farce book, but whatabout twitter, is that more trustworthy, how do the two 'social networks' differ?

Since you've resurrected it Facebook must have improved a great deal from previous posts, my two local member groups and several local affiliated club use it very effectively for organising rides, sharing information, attracting new members, buying and selling cycling stuff etc.

I know nothing about twitter or Instagram etc but just like all technology, used sensibly it's great, used badly it's rubbish.
I can't see any reason NOT to use facebook unless you are unable to manage your notifications, 'friends' etc.