Cycle Magazine Online

belgiangoth

Cycle Magazine Online

Postby belgiangoth » 8 Aug 2011, 11:29pm

Does anyone know whether it would be possible to change subscription to only receive the club magazine as an online pdf instead of a paper copy? I reckon this would save lots of money and resources, would be easier for me to hoard old magazines and would be good for the environment. I know VeloVision do an online-only subscription...
If I had a baby elephant, it would point out that there is no evidence for planing. Then it would eat all my bananas.

robgul

Re: Cycle Magazine Online

Postby robgul » 9 Aug 2011, 8:34am

Technically it's a no-brainer ...... it should, no MUST, be offered as an option when/if a new CTC website rears its head.

The "risk" is that advertisers will not like it and withdraw as their exposure/value may be diluted ... but the offset in cost reduction for producing, mailing etc should make some sort of business model viable.

Rob

ellis rowell

Postby ellis rowell » 6 Nov 2011, 2:48pm

I can understand that advertisers might not like this, but we have to balance advertising against costs. In other words, does make a profit? I use an online magazine for my operating system, it is monthly, a .pdf file. All issues are available at any time and it is free. To see what is available http://fullcirclemagazine.org.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 6 Nov 2011, 4:53pm

Most of the fairly limited range of online stuff I look at seems to carry adverts that somebody thinks are tailored for me. I presume it's done by cookies. It tends to be a total pain, because I go on a site, make my decision either to buy or reject what's on offer, and then I'm pursued for ages by ads reminding me of decisions already made and now history.

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 6 Nov 2011, 5:17pm

There are lots of magazines available that way and even small cycling magazines like AtoB seem to manage it without problems.

fatmac

Postby fatmac » 4 Feb 2012, 12:45pm

Just found this thread......

As a life member, only recently with a broadband connection, I would be happy with an online, down loadable mag.
However, there probably are still quite a few members still happily staying in the dark ages, what about them?
Obviously they can't respond here.
Linux since 1999

belgiangoth

Postby belgiangoth » 5 Feb 2012, 11:04am

I was thinking of an opt-out, e.g. I would opt out of a paper copy of the mag, saving the club £10-20 a year.
If I had a baby elephant, it would point out that there is no evidence for planing. Then it would eat all my bananas.

robgul

Postby robgul » 5 Feb 2012, 11:56am

belgiangoth wrote:I was thinking of an opt-out, e.g. I would opt out of a paper copy of the mag, saving the club £10-20 a year.

I would suggest that any saving would be waaaay less than your figure.

I don't know how CTC works with it, but if I was running the mag it would be a "no cost" project ... financed by the advertisers .....

Rob

belgiangoth

Postby belgiangoth » 5 Feb 2012, 9:08pm

I'm guestimating costs based on £3 a copy and 6 a year.

PatrickP

Postby PatrickP » 3 May 2012, 6:55am

Just found there is an archive of past issues on the main site - ( not sure if anyone has already reported this on this thread)

http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4309

I still prefer to look at the printed copies though.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 7 May 2012, 7:30am

belgiangoth wrote:I'm guestimating costs based on £3 a copy and 6 a year.

Most of the costs are in articles, edifying, layout, proofing....

The print run would still be needed, so it's only the incremental cost that would be applicable...

A few pounds over the whole year maybe?

On the other hand a few pounds multiplies by what proportion of membership...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 8 May 2012, 8:38am

I'd be happy with a PDF instead of a paper mag.

What am I supposed to do with the mags I've read? They get recycled, given away, stacked up on the shelf ......but rarely looked at by me after the first reading.

Good mag, but once read, what next?
PDFs can be just deleted - or if I'm feeling a bit retentive, save them up and burn a DVD.
Mick F. Cornwall

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 10 May 2012, 11:18pm

And for those with diffy eyesight you can increase the text size. I asked my charity organisation 2 years ago whose mag I deliv 1/4ly if it could be accessed/downloaded not only for us volunteers but also the end users, even though they might be in their twighlight years many are up & running (so to speak) online. Even those without a computer the volunteers could easily have a DVD-RW/USB key to stick into tv's dvd players etc.
given the 1/2 mill-1 million mags per year I reckon they could save tens of thousands on production costs every Q

CTC Support

Postby CTC Support » 15 May 2012, 2:25pm

Hello all - We've been watching this thread with interest at CTC HQ. We are keen on this idea here too, although as several of you have pointed out there are quite a few business and technical issues we need to get right first. We already add some of the content from Cycle to the main CTC website, but there is a lot of emerging technology influencing publishing at the moment and we need to keep on top of this. We'll be looking into this further and I will keep you posted. You can all rest assured though that we will continue to produce a printed copy of Cycle for the foreseeable future. David Dowling (CTC Marketing Officer)

Tonyf33

Postby Tonyf33 » 16 May 2012, 1:06am

I don't know how many (if any) of the mag are sold to non ctc members, but if you could you make any potential online variant available to them (the non ctc members) for a set fee this would increase the exposure of the advertising, surely this would be a win win situation for the ctc & the advertisers one would think?