Cycle Magazine Online

RickH

Re: Cycle Magazine Online

Post by RickH »

My 2p worth - I'm all in favour of an electronic option as I'm looking to get all my subscriptions to various publications moved to digital format where possible, hopefully within the next 12 months.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

Tonyf33 wrote:I don't know how many (if any) of the mag are sold to non ctc members, but if you could you make any potential online variant available to them (the non ctc members) for a set fee this would increase the exposure of the advertising, surely this would be a win win situation for the ctc & the advertisers one would think?

Why would anyone pay for the magazine? It's nothing but adverts and puff pieces for Council. There are about two sections which are of interest.

And as a charity, CTC has to be very careful about charging non-members for stuff that members get for free...
Si

Post by Si »

Why would anyone pay for the magazine?

Try reading the competition and you'll see.

Cycling World for instance - most of which is very thinly disguised advertorial and copy editing mistakes, yet people still buy it. And what other competition is there? New Cyclist/Cycling Today is (very sadly) long gone, hardly anyone knows that Velo-Vision exists and it is quite pricey, and the rest of the mags at WHS all seem to be sportif obsessed, hell bent on convincing you that any bike that is less than £3k and not carbon is no good. Me wonders if your disappointment over the charity debarcle is clouding your judgement regarding all things CTC?

I'm the first to admit that Cycle is not perfect, it has to cater or such a broad church that it's never going to please all the people all the time (or even some of the people any of the time)...indeed there are many articles in it that don't interest me: but I can recognise that there is a difference between an article that doesn't interest me but does interest others, and an article that is rubbish.

OF course, we might find something much better in a short while when BC/Sky start to produce a leisure/utility rider publication.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

PatrickP wrote:http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=4309

That link is broken, sadly.

Is there any more news on a way existing members can read Cycle electronically without downloading the PDF? Apple Newsstand?

Andy
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

ratherbeintobago wrote:

Is there any more news on a way existing members can read Cycle electronically without downloading the PDF? Apple Newsstand?

Andy

I don't see what the difference would be between downloading the magazine via a document reader or downloading it to view on the CTC's webpage. You don't have to use Adobe for PDF files anyhow.
mekanopsis

Post by mekanopsis »

I'm a CTC member, and found this thread through Google. Just wanted to lend my support to those calling for an opt-out for receiving a paper copy of Cycle. It is mostly advertising, and I'm sure I'm not the only member who wishes to cut my carbon footprint and paper usage, and rejects the overt consumerism of newsstand-style magazines. As such, receiving Cycle every month for belonging to the CTC is starting to grate. I realize it does have some good articles, and probably is a net earner for the CTC, but for me Its main purpose unfortunately is to make me feel inadequate for not taking glamorous cycling holidays or spending hundreds of pounds on my bike every year. .I'd be perfectly happy to receive it as a PDF.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Tonyf33 wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote:

Andy

I don't see what the difference would be between downloading the magazine via a document reader or downloading it to view on the CTC's webpage. You don't have to use Adobe for PDF files anyhow.

Don't know if you've used eg. Apple iOS Newsstand, but it can be set to notify you of new issues and downloading them to your device is one click. I can't see why this couldn't be offered to those of us who might wish to opt out of the paper magazine.

Andy
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

I'm all for having an online version of the magazine but making it available to download as a readable doucment file would be simple and inexpensive, I wouldn't have any idea of costs but anything over and above a basic PDF doucment is going to cost money & time.
I think most smart phones have some reader or other & personally I use FOXIT for both mobile and pc. Given the magazine comes out only every 3 months having a notification for such an irregular distribution would seem a little pointless IMO.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Hello,

Could anyone advise whether the 'Cycle' magazine is available yet in an online format?

I see there is an online 'taster' comprising 16 pages which I have only recently discovered; is there some way of downloading the whole issue that I am not aware of?

I only ask as I work at sea and it would be quite handy during our quiet periods to have something enlightening to peruse.

Our internet connection is fairly slow & hence it is quite a prolonged operation for me to trawl through the different options on the CTC webpage to discover the answer myself,

Anyhow, thanks for any advice, all the best, Simon
gaz

Post by gaz »

You've found the taster already, there's no other on-line version.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

There used to be a full pdf version I think:

why has this been changed I wonder?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

OK Gaz, cheers for that, saves me a few wasted hours of searching, ta, Simon
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Hi. I'm sorry to hijack this thread, but if there is anyone who is struggling with the space their old CTC magazines take up, please let me know. I don't watch telly and I'm always on the scrounge for decent reading material. I'm happy to collect and pay you 'beer money' or make a donation to your preferred charity. I'd rather they weren't chucked into recycling. (And I've got lots to learn) I live in postcode BA3. (Bath/Mendips) Thanks...b
jb

Post by jb »

Not sure what the future of the magazine is without a technical officer; just a load of unvetted biased opinions on technical stuff and some dwindling touring stuff maybe?
The paper version may become a waste of trees.
Cheers
J Bro