Cameron Family Membership

pete75

Re: Cameron Family Membership

Post by pete75 »

thelawnet wrote:
Steady rider wrote:Mr Cameron salary is about £142k per year. Roughly £100k would have been taxed at 50% previously, now it will be taxed at 45%, so he gains about £5000 per year if I have the sums near (not including other possible income).

Completely and utterly wrong.

The 50% band starts at £150k, so on his PM's salary he wouldn't pay it at all.

After the most recent budget, he is worse off by a few hundred pounds due to fiscal drag on the 40% band and the £100k personal allowance withdrawal.

He also loses £2,449.20 in Child Benefit.

From the HMRC website
'some benefits, such as living accommodation, are taxable whenever they are provided to an employee.'

The large fully serviced central London Home Cameron receives along with the fully serviced mansion in Buckinghamshire must surely be worth at least £250,000 a year as benefit in kind. Then there are the chauffeur driven cars etc - what are they worth as benefit in kind.
This will put Cameron's income way above your figures for taxation purposes.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
jezer

Post by jezer »

I seem to remember that Cameron used to make a point of being filmed while riding his bike. I have not noticed this recently. Perhaps his security staff have banned it, or maybe he no longer worries about the cyclists' vote :?
Power to the pedals
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

taxing issues can wait for the new year, a bit of fun perhaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAiuSjsT_-g
jezer

Post by jezer »

Well, I've watched that, and I can't see any relevance to proper cycling.
Power to the pedals
Si

Post by Si »

Well, after all that it looks like we were all barking up the wrong tree a little :lol: .

Seems that the Camerons haven't been given any kind of free membership after all.

Apparently what happened is that SamCam was seen riding a bike in the press, so as a bit of a free publicity stunt the CTC offered them honorary membership - probably not expecting them to take it up for the very good reason that the PM is very limited as to what he can accept in terms of free gifts. So the idea was that the CTC could just do press releases with the intention of giving the CTC more publicity to a wider audience and highlighting another well known person who rides a bike, thus promoting the sentiment that bikes are not just for beardie paupers but for everyone.

Alas, seems that the reporting of the the incident became a little muddled and when the press release might have said that the Camerons were offered honorary membership, some of us ended up reading it as meaning that they had actually received it - but rest assured, none of your hard earned subs money has gone to the Camerons' membership.

But the CTC will continue to do all that is practicable to engage with those who pull the strings if it means that they can improve things for us cyclists.
JT

Post by JT »

How come it took 10 months (and 5 pages of ranty forum posts) to find this out or to communicate it?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Si wrote: ... so as a bit of a free publicity stunt .the CTC ...

The CTC getting involved in spin? :shock: Surely not. :? The CTC getting involved in spin that goes wrong?

It's hard to know whether to :lol: or :cry:
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

JT wrote:How come it took 10 months (and 5 pages of ranty forum posts) to find this out or to communicate it?

Because now that CTC is a charity, you don't count. Were you consulted, or even informed before the fact, that CTC was sponsoring a Womens Cycling Team. No.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Si

Post by Si »

Regrding why this thread has gone on so long - I refer the hon. mems. back to my oft repeated comments - this forum is meant to allow members to communicate with each other, it is not an official line of communication to CTC National Office. If the Cameron story caused you annoyance or continues to do so then the initial route of complaint is either directly to Nat. Off. or via your local Councillor; there is no guarantee that anyone from Nat. Off. will read anything written on the forum. that is not to say that you shouldn't air your views on the forum too - but if you want the powers that be to know what your views are you should ensure that you go via official lines too. However, our CEO has recognised the role of the forum and is encouraging more staff to look at the forum...but there is a balance to be struck - I'm sure that you don't want to be paying your subs to fund people at Nat. Off. browsing the forums all day long!

As for ranty posts - it is up to forum members how they express their views as long as they are within the forum rules. However, I would say that the vast majority of the posts are not "ranty", they merely express an opinion on the subject just like on any other thread. Well, they are no more "ranty" than complaining about the number of "ranty" posts is :wink:

This of course leaves the CTC in a sticky situation - either someone official comes on here and repeats the explanation that I've already given - in which case they risk providing a target for another avalanche of complaints over something that turned out to be an non-event (miss-communication / lack of clarity / etc that we hope lessons have been learned from). Or they just let it lie, relying on the explanation I gave to outline what actually happened, in which case they risk looking like they don't care. Rock and a hard place......so I'm guessing that as an explanation has been given they will see no benefit in further adding to the "10 months ...and 5 pages of ranty forum posts".
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Bearing in mind it's often impossible to know who is a member of the CTC's staff (should that be "colleague"? :wink: ) and even then if they are speaking ex cathedra or just in IMO mode, IME we do seem to be seeing more of them on the forum.

IMO the main point is that spinning, especially when it involves international grand spinmasters (AKA party politicians) can be a dangerous business, and not somewhere for innocents to explore. It's a children-trespassing-on-the-railway scenario. (Allegedly a lesson the Police Federation is learning the hard way.)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

thirdcrank wrote:

The CTC getting involved in spin? :shock: Surely not. :? The CTC getting involved in spin that goes wrong?

Both are true
Is BoJo a member?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:

Both are true
Is BoJo a member?

Holy Thread resurrection Batman!
Cyril Haearn

Re: Johnson Family Membership

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Batperson at your service

There are several keen cyclists in or near power now, time to get BoJo and JoJo to join the CTC, plus their families of course
(Does BoJo have a family at the minute?)
I heard BoJo being described as an entertainer :?
Should I change my signature?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies