membership

keepontriking

Re: membership

Post by keepontriking »

Perhaps they were mine :wink:

Despite asking, having been promised, and then having to chase, I've still not received anything (member since 1970).
peter236uk

Post by peter236uk »

I have left the CTC after around 12 years and to be honest did not even receive a question as why i was leaving. I was thinking of re-joining but at £41 a year I do not see any great value to me personally and while that might seem a little selfish. I can support other Cycling campaign groups as i so wish.
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

I have read all threse threads with interest, I was seriously thinking of joining both my wife and I as life members but now having second thoughts :shock:
Si

Post by Si »

Gunner wrote:I have read all threse threads with interest, I was seriously thinking of joining both my wife and I as life members but now having second thoughts :shock:

Well, being a life member has at least two advantages: it means that you don't have to worry about potential problems with re-enrolment every year, plus it gives you an incentive to live longer to get your money's worth :lol:
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

Si wrote:
Gunner wrote:I have read all threse threads with interest, I was seriously thinking of joining both my wife and I as life members but now having second thoughts :shock:

Well, being a life member has at least two advantages: it means that you don't have to worry about potential problems with re-enrolment every year, plus it gives you an incentive to live longer to get your money's worth :lol:

LOL - yes how very true - living in Hinckley Leics, my wife Jill and I have access to so many CTC clubs who could offer us rides at week-ends plus mid-week including socials and talks - so steering to joing again.......... :D :D
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

Meant to add to my last thread that within a short distance of us we have Nuneaton, Coventry and North Birmingham CTC all of which appear very active from their websites, am I correct in thinking North Birmingham meet at Shentone near Tamworth and Drayton Manor Park?
Si

Post by Si »

Gunner wrote:Meant to add to my last thread that within a short distance of us we have Nuneaton, Coventry and North Birmingham CTC all of which appear very active from their websites, am I correct in thinking North Birmingham meet at Shentone near Tamworth and Drayton Manor Park?

Re North Birmingham CTC, the club house (Tues nights) is at Shenstone but the rides normally start in Sutton Coldfield or there abouts - details of meeting points are on the rides list on the website.

Yep, pretty active, Saturday before last we had over 60 out, split into five groups. And we do at least one ride every day bar Mondays.
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

Thanks Si - didn't realise you were from' round these parts' thats a good turnout for your rides me thinks :D your not that far away. :D
John Catt

Post by John Catt »

Looks as if taking out life membership if you ride with Nuneaton could be a good investment - http://www.nuneatoncycleclub.co.uk/Reports.html#repsun041011 :-)
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

John Catt wrote:

Looks as if taking out life membership if you ride with Nuneaton could be a good investment - http://www.nuneatoncycleclub.co.uk/Reports.html#repsun041011 :-)

John, wholeheartedly agree, thanks for the link. Found Nuneaton and Coventry CTC MG from searching the web. Again two very active clubs even closer to our doorstep! If we can be as healthy as Eric, Bert and Morgan we will certainly get our monies worth. I sent the CTC membership office an email only yesterday and already had a very helpful and informative reply to my questions. I know some of our cycling colleagues on this forum have experienced problems in the past, but alas I have to say my experience was different, I have no complaints or issues with their admin.

Time to get pedalling................ :D LOL :D
Si

Post by Si »

Yep, every now and then we all end up at the same cafe...can be a bit crowded!!!

Anyway, remember that if you are a member you can ride with any group that you want (although you are officially assigned to one) so no reason why you can't enjoy rides with all the local groups.
Gunner

Post by Gunner »

Si wrote:Yep, every now and then we all end up at the same cafe...can be a bit crowded!!!

Anyway, remember that if you are a member you can ride with any group that you want (although you are officially assigned to one) so no reason why you can't enjoy rides with all the local groups.

Si

Thanks for latest reply, that has pretty much, made up my mind, that joining the CTC again, will be worth it. I didn't realise that you were able to ride with any group once you are a member. Doh :roll: I have grasped the idea that those CTC paid members within HQ would not know me but it's locally within our nearby MG that we can make our mark. I may be just a number to those in HQ, but that evaporates away locally once folks will get to know us. I suppose the old saying may ring true "you only get out of it - what you put in!"

I retire in Feb 2013, thus joining CTC, will allow us to make new friends and ensure we have a social life :D
Iand

Re: family membership

Post by Iand »

I'm another member very annoyed by the letter sent to me telling me that I can no longer pay by direct debit.
I've emailed twice(the email confirmation say replies should be made within 3 days) and have received no reply.
Likewise I don't like the direction ctc seems to be taking and have been a member on and off since the mid 80s, I don't really recognize the organization any more, I've only just heard that the Cameron's have been given free membership, WHAT! You are kidding me! That on its own is enough to make me want to leave!
I am currently looking elsewhere(British Cycling,ETA etc) for similar memberships and I've been a friend of ctc for all my cycling life, it takes real effort or incompetence to drive long standing members away,
Perhaps someone can contact me too?
Si

Post by Si »

If you've had no joy by email (I guess that things might be a bit slow with the weather being so bad and some people not making it into the office), you are best off to try ringing them. The forum is run by volunteers who have little contact with the staff at head office so if they don't pick up your emails then they probably won't pick up ours either. Nonetheless, I'll email someone and see if I can direct them to your post on here.

Regarding the Camerons - if you have a search around on the forum you'll see that it has been discussed at a little length and some reasonable reasons for giving them free membership have been given, as well as reasons why they have been given it.
Si

Post by Si »

Received a reply to my email - looks like someone is going to be in touch with you Iand regarding your membership and DD. Hope you can get it sorted to your satisfaction and can continue to find a reason to stay with the CTC.

And as far as the Camerons go - looks like we have misinterpreted what actually happened - they have not been given free membership, more here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=61811&p=626483#p626483