Life Membership

Halla

Life Membership

Post by Halla »

Hello All.

Back in March 2012 I applied for CTC Life Membership, after about a month a letter arrived with a plastic card attached. The card was put away without close inspection. Some weeks later I noticed the card was not in my name, I contacted the membership contractor who asked me to return the card and letter. This was sent immediately which was about 6 weeks ago.

I am sure that you the reader can guess the rest, the returned membership card is lost in their office, I do not have a replacement card and they have my money.

If you have recently become a life member or you know someone who has, it would be a good idea to check the card, it might be mine.

Is this a familiar story, I think it is a pretty poor situation!!!

Shame on CTC
gaz

Re: Life Membership

Post by gaz »

Mistakes happen. IMO the measure of an organisation is not only how many mistakes it makes but also how it deals with them, both individually and as a whole, i.e. trying to reduce the number of future mistakes.

In this case there's no doubt in my mind that you've been let down badly.

There are comments from Simon Legg in another thread which suggest that errors on CTC affiliated membership cards for his own group, The Fridays, are numerous and that the process to get them corrected is poor and ineffective.

There are also remarks from Kevin Mayne to the effect that this type of error needs to be raised through the complaints system, here, so that Council can be better aware of the number of errors occuring. The link is to the old website, I doubt that the procedure has changed except that Gordon Seabright is now boss of the pedalcab.

CTC does not deal with membership "in house" but "contracts out" to an external company. Making the complaint to CTC allows them to gain a picture of whether or not that company is providing an acceptable service to the membership.

Whatever happens I hope things can be sorted out for you soon.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Si

Post by Si »

Yes, have to agree with Gaz - mistakes are always going to happen but it's how they deal with them afterwards that they should be judged on.

In this case I think you have every right to feel somewhat let down, Halla.

However, I should point out that the forum is not an official primary means of communication with CTC National Office as there is no assurance that anyone from NO will read your message on here very promptly (although one would hope that they would be monitoring a public discussion group whose subject is the CTC). If I were in your position I would email, write to or ring the membership department and my local CTC Councillor (asking him or her to put some pressure on the mem dept to sort it out ASAP). If that didn't produce a satisfactory result then I'd go for the chair of Council and the CEO directly. And if I was feeling really annoyed I'd launch an official complaint via the mechanism that Gaz outlines. Of course, no organisation wants to receive complaints from its members, but really it is for the good of the CTC that such (reoccurring) issues are officially logged so that it can identify where the problems are.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Are you getting the magazines in the post?
John Catt

Post by John Catt »

The current complaints procedure can be found at http://beta.ctc.org.uk/about/policies-a ... -procedure.

To quote:

Help us
First and foremost please make sure that the relevant part of CTC knows if you have any issues at all with our service so they can be recorded and dealt with at source.

If you do not get a response or you are not happy with the answer you contact the Chief Executive or Councillor directly.

gordon.seabright@ctc.org.uk

Please use it.
alpgirl

Post by alpgirl »

Surely they can send a replacement card. After all things do get lost. They must have a record of you and your address etc. It sounds ridiculous!
Halla

Post by Halla »

Hello again

I received a phone call from Tim the Manager at the Membership Dept this afternoon. I understand that the other member's card which I returned in May has not been received by the Membership Dept and that there have been a further two cards ordered for me, neither have been received. They have attempted to contact the other member who may have my card, but he/she has not replied.

I agree that it is the way in which problems are solved which is important. I have been a member since 1994 and have had no problems with membership prior to this year and have always received the magazine. I hope that the problem has now been successfully resolved.

Thanks Tim
emsworth

Post by emsworth »

There seems to be a very serious problem with the membership organisation still!

A friend had to contact them several times to get his life membership card, now I am having the same problem.

Cheque cashed 11 of July this year but I have yet to receive confirmation of the change of membership in writing or a new card.

This is no way to keep or treat log time or life members.

It is quite unacceptable.