Keep an eye on your credit card statements!

danfoto

Keep an eye on your credit card statements!

Post by danfoto »

I posted a while back about my attempt to re-enrol both myself and The Lady Wife in the CTC and the subsequent hoo-hah. Well ...

We both paid online via credit card. When my wife withdrew her application, she received in due course a cheque for £24 by way of a refund. I am pretty much sure that I was told at the time that because my application was withdrawn more or less as soon as I made it, our card had not been debited for my £24.

Last month, I finally noticed that the CTC had indeed debited our card for 2 x £24, so I emailed the membership department stating that I had no record of any refund and asking if they would look into the matter. CTC then wanted a "copy of the relevant transactions", which I provided. This resulted in ...

... Thank you for your email and providing a copy of your credit card statement showing the two transactions made payable to CTC. I have now raised a refund request for £24 in respect of your own membership application. Because your online application had failed, the payment was not shown on your membership record.

You should receive your refund within the next 7 – 10 days ...

I guess "within the next 7-10 days" should perhaps have been "within 7-10 working days" and it's early days yet to actually see a cheque, but if anybody reading this is interested, here's a couple of things for the CTC to consider ...

1. Why issue a refund against a card payment by cheque when an electronic refund costs less to do, is simpler from an accounting POV and is what most punters would expect?

2. If the CTC's system is such that an online payment doesn't show on the membership record raised by or linked to the application to which that payment relates, that system is fundamentally flawed.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Alex L

Re: Keep an eye on your credit card statements!

Post by Alex L »

danfoto wrote:that system is fundamentally flawed.

Welcome to the CTC! :lol:
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Alex L wrote:Welcome to the CTC! :lol:

You are, chum. You are!
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
CTC Support

Post by CTC Support »

Hello Dan

I am really sorry you have not had a good experience on our website.

We have looked into this problem here at CTC. When someone signs up for membership online, the system takes payment and a record of the membership is created with that payment against it. In a couple of isolated cases the payment has been taken but the system rejects the new members details. Our membership team carry out a manual reconciliation to make sure payments and memberships add up at the end of each day. This system is very reliable but, like any other automated system it is not infallable.

As to your other query we do, as of last month, have the facility to refund payments directly to credit cards over the website. That said, all refunds are escalated to our Finance Department at National Office to be recorded centrally. This department regularly does batches of payment by cheque so adding on any refunds to this run of cheques is quick, convenient, reliable, secure and well-documented. I hope that goes some way to putting your mind at rest and apologies again for the inconvenience.

Best wishes

CTC Support
JT

Post by JT »

^^^^^^ Crikey!
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Hello CTC support

Thank you for that explanation. I have no doubt that from where you're sitting that seems a satisfactory state of affairs. To me, it seems a very strange way to run the show, but whatever.

Present state of play is that on Tuesday I sent this email to the membership dept ...

Hello again

It is now 18 days or 12 working days since you sent this (an email saying expect refund in 7-10 days) and I have still not received my refund.

Please advise your latest estimate of when I might expect it.

Thank you

This morning (Friday) I have been favoured with the following reply ...

Thank you for your email. I am sorry to learn that you have still not received your refund. After consultation with national office, I can confirm that this has been processed and you will be receiving the refund shortly.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused on this occasion and thank you for contacting CTC.

I was genuinely impressed when the CEO chappie phoned me last month or whenever it was regarding this saga, but oh dear what a job the poor man's going to have kicking the CTC up its corporate chuff, if indeed that's what he thinks is needed. Obviously I wouldn't know about that, but I do know that AFAIC the CTC would do well to convey the impression that it's now spending less time admiring itself in the mirror and more time outside the ivory tower in which it often seems to exist.

ETA - And ... no sooner had I posted the above than my cheque for £24 arrived. Hurrah!